Greyhound Guard Dogs

HazyWal

My greyhounds only bark at family and friends :/ Even then, it's more of an excited "OMG WE HAVE VISITORS! OMG U GUIZ VISITORS OMG!" kind of barking.

If they don't recognise a car or person, they stay completely quiet or scurry off to hide in bravely guard the spot behind the garage.

Kiff sleeps in the hallway that leads to the front door and has been known to sleep right through someone knocking on the door and then me trying to step over him to answer it. If all burglers had to carry liver treats in their pockets, maybe they'd get more of a response from my pack of fatties.

:laugh:

As most people know greyhounds are not guard dogs.They rarely bark or even get off the lounge except to welcome people into the house which includes robbers. :laugh: Tonight my two are running around the house ears pricked and I've walked around the house and found nothing..nada,,zero.Does anyone else have a guard dog that is about to attack..............nothing.

My friends two GAP greyhounds display this behaviour when there are rabbits about the garden!! :laugh:

My whippet is the worst guard dog ever... the most he usually does it lift his head off the pillow for a second if he hears a noise outside, then he goes back to sleep.

BUT there was one time he was in the backyard and he started barking ferociously, ran inside to get me and then went back outside with me. I was freaking out, thinking OMG.. there must be a murderer in the back yard for him to do this!

I followed him around the corner as he crouched along, all sneaky commando style. He turned and bolted back inside. I work up the courage to peek around the corner.

NOTHING!

Oh, wait. On closer inspection I see some ants crawling on his bone. Terrifying! :laugh:

My whippet is the worst guard dog ever... the most he usually does it lift his head off the pillow for a second if he hears a noise outside, then he goes back to sleep.

BUT there was one time he was in the backyard and he started barking ferociously, ran inside to get me and then went back outside with me. I was freaking out, thinking OMG.. there must be a murderer in the back yard for him to do this!

I followed him around the corner as he crouched along, all sneaky commando style. He turned and bolted back inside. I work up the courage to peek around the corner.

NOTHING!

Oh, wait. On closer inspection I see some ants crawling on his bone. Terrifying! :laugh:

:rofl:

My boy Whippet is an excellent guard dog. As soon as I say the word "Mouse" he's on high alert, looking under pillows, lounges, in cupboards and pacing, he'll search every room, his ears go up and he does the intermittent "ruff" warning bark . Apparantly, nothing's scarier than a mouse!