Help My Dog Has Forgotten Her Recall

Hoping some Dolers can help me. It seems like my dog has suddenly forgotten her recall. DRIVING ME NUTS. Practice wise we practice every day and this is one thing she is usually quite realible at but this week we went to the beach and it was like she didn't even have learnt her recall. We were now just practicing but again she is fine when she knows we are practicing but when I actually need her to respond then she doesn't. Its just so frusterating. So looks like the long line is coming back out but I would love to hear from anyone else who has experienced this problem.

Usually when we go and she has playtime at dog school she can play with the other dogs and I can call her and she comes. She's also use to be fine in the offlead areas but this week she just seems to have "forgotten" her recall. Its soo embarrassing.

The guessimate is 3 or 4 ( she's a rescue dog). She has been doing very well at obedience school and we just passed transition class and can do novice or primary companion. We have 3 ribbons now, 1st 2nd and 3rd and her recall has always been one of the best things she does. So now I"m at a loss why this has suddenly happened? Or is there no reason?

There's some good articles about this on the Leerburg website. They might not be for everyone, but they're really well worth reading. From what I understand she's no longer returning to you because it means an end to her play session. You can practice calling her and treating her regularly while she's playing so you are always more rewarding than what she's doing. Here's a couple of links to the ones I found with a quick search:

When your dog WON'T come when called

Q & A on recall problems

Hope something here helps you :)

Edited by Roova

OK, so you've TRAINED the recall, now you have to PROOF the recall under varying conditions. She may be gaining in confidence and is not such a velcro girl as she was before.

I like to consider it as Me vs The Environment :D With an entire male Dally who just wants to sniff and pee and flirt with the ladies & a working Springer who is bred to chase birds and rabbits into the distant sunset I've had a bit of practice :laugh:

These are things I do (still!)....

If you are using food as a reward, make sure the dog is hungry before you go on your walk. It's all about motivation. She won't be motivated to come for a food reward if her tummy is full.

Produce awesome jackpot food rewards under high distractions. Find out what sends your dog absolutely SILLY and use that. At a trial on Saturday I gave Zig a bite of MY egg sandwich before his run - he ran so hard in anticipation of getting some more at the end! Which he did, of course.

Learn to read their body language and call them BEFORE they bolt with their ears painted on. I know just when Em is about to flip into "chase the birdie" and either call her or give her a "steady" command which brings her back to reality.

Do multiple recalls and jackpots on your walks and then release to play again.

If the dog doesn't come - this is one for Ziggy when he is off in hormone wonderland - I walk over quietly, snap the lead on and say "oh well" which means "you stuffed up, my friend....no treats, no rewards and the fun ends here...but you will have another chance at begin rewarded". Inevitably he starts offering me beautiful heel work to seek a reward - then I let him off, recall, he comes like a bullet and I reward him handsomely.

That's all I can think of for now - it's been a long day ;)

If she used to be good at recalls & is not now, then maybe your rate of reinforcement has not been great enough. Always carry treats or favourite toy when you are out with her & have a big party when she comes to you. Also if you have been calling her to you & putting her on the lead...end of fun time....dog no longer comes. Do some calling to you, treat, then release straight away to play again. Don't put the lead on her straight away, hold her by the collar & make a real happy fuss over her, then put the lead on...then treat again...good dog. Maybe take the lead off & let her go play again...mix it up.

I was going to write another reply now I'm home from work but TSD and Sheena seem to have it covered :laugh:

One other thing I would add though - have you trained a recall at the beach? If the recall hasn't been trained in enough different places and scenarios yet she may not have 'generalised' the behaviour. I do the majority of my training at the beach and the park because that's where I really want them to be reliable.

Learn to read their body language and call them BEFORE they bolt with their ears painted on. I know just when Em is about to flip into "chase the birdie" and either call her or give her a "steady" command which brings her back to reality.

I found this to be the most important thing I had to learn with Weez. I have a couple of commands I use, including "keep with us" (i.e. 'you don't have to come here, but start moving in the same direction as us') and a good old-fashioned "leave it" - but timing is key. Only relatively recently have I been able to stop him once he's commited to running at something, but I still wouldn't want to rely on it.

Oh, another thing I used to do was rapid fire every treat I had left when it was actually time to put Zig on lead. To the point where he comes bolting back when he sees me pick up the lead to put on him.

I too always give Weez a piece of food every time I put his lead on 'in public' (not at home, because going out is reward enough). And every now and again, I leave the beach and go to the park, so they don't think leaving the beach always = no fun. Plus going home from the beach means breakfast will be along soon!

Thanks for your replies. i practice at school, on our walks and at the park. i never call her when i want her to be put on lead i go and get her. Every walk i go on i take treats and her ball. we dont have a beach here so i practice everytime i go down to the beach so its only been 4 times. she also isnt fed before we go on our walks. when she does come i reward and then say free which means she can go back to running and playing. i will read the articles and try your suggestions. just didnt realise she could forget all shes learnt in a few days.

I found this to be the most important thing I had to learn with Weez.

Me too!