Health/structural Problems

Agility Dogs

Hypothetically if you really liked the way a particular breeder's dogs worked (regardless of the discipline - just think of what you do with your dogs), but you knew that some of the dogs had problems that may or may not be a result of their breeding would you still consider bringing one into your home?

Looking at it another way - at what point do risks start to outweigh outstanding performance?

How many dogs or what % of dogs from a particular breers starts to constitute a problem to be avoided rather than bad luck?

It would depend on the severity and type of problem.

If it was a major health issue, then no I would avoid the breeder. If it were something small and of a more aesthetic nature, then yes I would still consider it.

If it were 1 dog?

2 dogs?

3 dogs?

You wouldn't rule out a breeder because one of their dogs had a health issue, would you?

Aesthetics I'm not really concerned about - something that affects the health of the dog is more my concern.

If it was a major health issue, then no I would avoid the breeder. If it were something small and of a more aesthetic nature, then yes I would still consider it.

If it were 1 dog?

2 dogs?

3 dogs?

You wouldn't rule out a breeder because one of their dogs had a health issue, would you?

Aesthetics I'm not really concerned about - something that affects the health of the dog is more my concern.

No I wouldn't rule out a breeder due to a health issue in 1 dog as there will always be bad luck, but if it were 2 or 3 then yes I probably would.

If it were 1 dog?

2 dogs?

3 dogs?

Health problems and structural defects are going to impact in a bad way at some time in the dog's life and temperament and performance will probably be adversely affected.

I think you need to be more specific about the problems you are seeing.

Arthritis happening in a 10 year old dog would not be a concern, but a young dog cracking up and needing medication or surgical intervention because of defects is a whole other ball game and most definitely should be avoided. If it is another condition and 1 dog in 50 bred at that kennel is unlucky enough to get it, then it has to be said that 49 other dogs missed it. There may, or may not, be a predisposition to the condition, and if it is something that can be tested for, then ask for testing to be done.

Humans suffer many of the same conditions in families and have to deal with them too - but we don't have the luxury of saying "No, I wont take that baby thank you, I will take the other one."

Souff

A bit vague AD!!

If the dogs were breaking down due to a faulty structure then I would be avoiding that breeder. Regardless of how quick they ran.

If the breeder had lots of health issues I would be going mmmmmmmmm and investigating further.

It would need to be over 3 dogs breed that had problems before I started to question. One dog having issues wouldn't worry me.

Depending on what the issue might be - there's a lot you'd need to take into consideration - such as age of onset, the way the dog/s have been raised/fed/worked ......

dancinbc's point is a good one I think - appropriate testing, publication of results, care in breeding, breeding for a purpose - would all influence me ... as would the number of the breeder's dogs that had not had problems (other than the 'normal' injuries/illnesses that can occur in any dog) - as souff is pointing out.

I think it would depend on the health problem. Can you be more specific? Some things are heavily genetic, others are genuine bad luck, or a result of high risk activities. Performance dogs are much more prone to injury because they engage in high impact sports.

I think it would also depend on a breeders ability to pick which pup had the problem. But if it was occurring often, and impacted on the animals everyday welfare then I would stay away. If the dog could live a long fulfilling life as a pet if it did have the problem, and I had the space for another dog to do dog sports AND the problem was a one off type thing then I might risk it maybe

• 2 weeks later...

Questions I would ask/research before making any decision:

How did you learn of the issue? Factual accounts from the breeder or from the owners of the dogs or from 'general hearsay'? (remembering that while hearsay can sometimes have a grain of truth, it can also be simply grist for the rumor mill. It is an unfortunate truth that some like to talk about 'things they have heard' about other breeders lines though won't discuss their own issues)

Is the problem showing up in young dogs or older ones?

Is it a condition prevalent in the breed or one that is reasonably unknown?

What affect does the condition have on the dogs overall health and wellbeing?

What is the problem and how is it known to be caused? e.g. how is it passed on genetically (simple recessive? Polygenetic?) or what other influences are there on its cause and severity? (e.g. environmental factors)

If there are environmental factors, are there any similarities in the environment of the affected dogs?

If genetic, how is the condition identified? i.e. is there a DNA test available or other type of testing or nothing.

If a test is available, were the sire and dam of each of the dogs tested, and what was the result?

Were all the affected dogs from the same litter or the same pairing or the same sire or same dam or the same line or from different ones? i.e. is there a common factor in their pedigrees or not and what is that factor?

On discussing the issue with the breeder, what have they done in relation to the condition? Having a number of dogs affected from one kennel does not necessarily mean ALL the dogs in a kennel will be affected. For example, they may not be using the dog or bitch now it is known as a carrier or the possible cause of the issue or may have ceased using a line that is known to be affected.

It really isn't a simple question. If you liked the dogs and how they worked in this type of situation I would be discussing the issue with the breeder, doing my research and learning as much as possible about the condition and the liklihood of other dogs getting the condition before I ruled out ALL the dogs from a particular kennel.