Wkc Vs Ankc Kelpies

redial

the breeder has been workign with kelpies and breeding since he was in his early 20's (he was 67 I think). The dogs had great working lines, the lines I wanted, the bitch was a nice pup, she seemed to have good eye but I had her a for a long time and even though she had eye, that's all she had, it wasn't a lack of confidence just general disinterest. She'd start to look interested and then quickly develop into a bludger.... All the other pups were great workers. So he took her back and said he'd work with her personally and try to train her up. I don't know about her now, that was a good 2 years ago.

Edited by redial

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the breeder has been workign with kelpies and breeding since he was in his early 20's (he was 67 I think). The dogs had great working lines, the lines I wanted, the bitch was a nice pup, she seemed to have good eye but I had her a for a long time and even though she had eye, that's all she had, it wasn't a lack of confidence just general disinterest. She'd start to look interested and then quickly develop into a bludger.... All the other pups were great workers. So he took her back and said he'd work with her personally and try to train her up. I don't know about her now, that was a good 2 years ago.

Wow thats unusual. Not what most old breeders would do with a dog that can't work.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question :)

I've been debating on what breed my next puppy should be and I'm actually considering switching teams and getting a Kelpie ;) So I'd be looking for a really drivey, agile, fast dog particularly for dog sports (especially agility)and though the dog would be exercised daily I still live in the suburbs. I've seen a lot of lazy, stocky looking kelpies around (assuming ankc dogs) and that's the complete opposite of what I'd want. So I don't know whether to go ANKC or WKC, or does it really just depend on the lines? Is anyone able to suggest some studs/breeders/bloodlines that may be suitable for what I'm looking for, I won't be getting a puppy until at least late next year, but there's no such thing as too much research... :)

Normally the big studs are really good or really poor some guys up this way are in it for the money and breed a lot fo dogs and quality gives way to quantity, I'd be more inclined to go a smaller breeder focused on breeding better quality dogs, although but then again I'm looking for a worker, soa bigger stuf might be better as they have a wider selection of temperaments to choose from. I really love the Cobber lines as they are high drive but sensible dogs. I'd stick with the established studs as new breeders are an unknown quanitity unless they have really proven bloodlines and always meet the parents at least twice before commiting to a pup.

Edited by redial

Also do your research ontheline and ask about bite and bark as some kelpies have that bred into them especially in the WKC, as good bite and bark are necessary for some working lines. Bark and bite can be a problem if not given a proper outlet so i'd stay away from those lines. But you can ask the breeder, they're normally proud of a dog with good bite and bark and will be happy to let you know. Good eye means that he has the ability to stare down a sheep, this takes focus, so good eye normally means a dog that's harder to refocus, but this can vary.

I've been debating on what breed my next puppy should be and I'm actually considering switching teams and getting a Kelpie ;) So I'd be looking for a really drivey, agile, fast dog particularly for dog sports (especially agility)and though the dog would be exercised daily I still live in the suburbs. I've seen a lot of lazy, stocky looking kelpies around (assuming ankc dogs) and that's the complete opposite of what I'd want. So I don't know whether to go ANKC or WKC, or does it really just depend on the lines? Is anyone able to suggest some studs/breeders/bloodlines that may be suitable for what I'm looking for, I won't be getting a puppy until at least late next year, but there's no such thing as too much research... :)

I'd have a peek through the Breeders Notes on the WKC website. Then you could phone the WKC and have a chat - I phoned them twice and had very long conversations with Barbara Cooper. She was extremely helpful and patient and pointed me in the direction of the breeder of our second dog. We couldn't be happier with him and the breeder was very careful to pick our the dog with the temperament that we wanted - we also live in the suburbs and our yard is medium-sized. We didn't have any intention of working the dog - just obedience, agility etc. I spoke to lots of breeders - show and working lines, I opted for working lines because to be honest, the working line Kelpies just 'look' more like how I expect a Kelpie to look. We wanted a two tone dog not a solid-coloured dog and there are very, very few two tone show Kelpies being bred out there, although they exist (e.g. see this thread). By contrast, there are heaps of two tones among working lines and you can easily get a two tone without compromising on 'quality' etc.

I don't think you can make generalisations about temperament based on show/working lines. There are some extremely laid back working line Kelpies and some extremely hyper bench Kelpies who are crazy about sheep. It all comes down the lines, the breeder and what you're after in that individual dog. Good luck! I think Kelpies are gorgeous - very loving, loyal and smart - you'll have heaps of fun with your Kelpie. Both our dogs are doing agility and loving it.

Edited by koalathebear

Thanks redial and koalathebear for your replies :)

koalathebear, I think I'm in a very similar situation to what you were in when looking for your Kelpie. Will definiatley take a look at the breeder notes on the WKC site, cheers :)

Also do your research ontheline and ask about bite and bark as some kelpies have that bred into them especially in the WKC, as good bite and bark are necessary for some working lines. Bark and bite can be a problem if not given a proper outlet so i'd stay away from those lines. But you can ask the breeder, they're normally proud of a dog with good bite and bark and will be happy to let you know. Good eye means that he has the ability to stare down a sheep, this takes focus, so good eye normally means a dog that's harder to refocus, but this can vary.

Very helpful! Thanks!

You could also contact the South Australian Yard Dog Association who might be able to put you in touch with some good breeders.

There are also a few lines of ANKC that have been purpose breed for agility- so drive light and FAST! Have a look at the Callicoma website if you want to see dogs with titles!!

I wouldn't assume that the lazy stocky kelpies are all ankc ;) considering my ANKC kelpies are lean mean flyball machines- and do the same times as their WKC counterparts!! The current 9mth old pup is working in food and tug drive atm and is a little pocket rocket! I think I have some video of her working with her owner that I can put up tonight. Her mum has flyball, obedience, championship, herding and endurance titles- and would have done agility had she not been silly enough to injure herself but rehab is going well (again).

So I guess yes it really DOES just depend on lines and what you are looking for.

They are a little different to working with your BC for agility- but a lot of fun so if you get a kelpie you won't regret it!!

there are great breeders in both registries but the reality is that you get what you select for and some have been selecting for drive for generations others havent - some have been selecting for both. Personally if I were looking for a working dog I would be going after a dog who has parents and close relatives which work - if the parents are also proven to be good representatives of the breed according to the standard even better.

Wow, not many people switch teams to come in this direction :laugh::thumbsup:

I'm currently researching where to get my next sports dog and have found a breeder that looks promiing (WKC reg) just need to fimd the time to go the 6hrs to meet their dogs :eek:

It all comes down to what you are looking for - and research what the breeders are breeding for, and try to find a match. Even within working lines there is variation in temperament and build depending on what the breeder's aim is - yard, paddock, all-round, 3-sheep, cattle, what type of ground etc

interesting that I should read this today

At Uralla Dog Show beautiful chocolate kelpie got Runner Up in Show - huge achievement for any dog and it was a stunning dog but far more stockier than the kelpies that I see around (I live in the country) and I did wonder whether the show winning kelpie would be able to do a full working day out on the farm.

I don't think it's right to say that all show Kelpies have had the working ability bred out of them but I do think it needs to be acknowledged that while many show Kelpies still have the herding 'instinct' and are very talented in recretional herding - their 'sole purpose', though is no longer the same as the working line Kelpie which is technically to work sheep. Even Callicoma which is known to breed excellent drivey dogs which do very well in dog sports says:

Callicoma kelpies are not bred specifically to work. If you want a dog that will work hard, all day, every day, you should look to a kennel that breeds working type kelpies. However Callicoma kelpies are handy dogs to have around the farm, such as on a small holding or hobby farm. A number are also successfully competing in sheep trials and have gained titles.

i.e. they don't try to hold out that their dogs will be suitable as 'professional' working dogs. It really depends what you want the dog for. An owner of a Callicoma dog at our dog club said that he got a bench Kelpie because he thought that it would be calmer than a working line dog and was afraid that a working line dog would be too crazy for the suburbs. In the end, he found himself with a dog that was crazy about sheep and probably just as energetic as a working line dog. Similarly, all good WKC breeders will tell you that a well-bred working Kelpie has an offswitch and is just as happy chilling out as it is working sheep.

You will find good and bad dogs in both lines and if you want an agility/obedience/flyball/recreational herding/pet dog you can get excellent dogs from both lines. You will also get chunky monkeys in both lines. You'll get more choice of colouring in the working lines, though. In the working lines, colouring is irrelevant and appearance is irrelevant except to the extent that it impedes working ability.