What Is The Most Popular Colour In Your Breed?

Esky the husky

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the greys I agree with whoever said a black Grey can scrub up best. My mum had a mostly black with white greyhound from GAP who was 5. She did grey quickly but her black was so wonderfully shiny once she dropped the fluff coat.

I absolutely love the fawn greys, with dark pigment around their eyes like eyeliner, but one day when I get another grey, I'll take whichever grey suits me best as really, colour has nothing to do with choice, for me.

In regard to the greyhound colours, I have a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that keeps suggesting that I think black was regarded as being bad luck when it comes to greyhound racing.

If this is a correct superstition, could that account for the lack of popularity in black greyhounds? Heh! Just realised that's like an oxymoron "black greyhound"! :laugh:

Most of the trainers I've spoken to seem to believe that black dogs run the fastest. I doubt they breed for colour though, greyhounds can carry black as either dominant or recessive so the chances of it popping up are quite high.

The colour they are superstitious about is blue dogs. Apparently blue dogs are slow.

My personal opinion on black greys(and I'm more than happy for Hardy's Angel or Skyseblue to correct me)is that they grey around the muzzle at a young age.They look old before their time.

The white hairs come up on all colours but I suppose they might be more apparent on black.

I always thought it looked kind of cuter than just a black face though :shrug:

In regard to the greyhound colours, I have a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that keeps suggesting that I think black was regarded as being bad luck when it comes to greyhound racing.

If this is a correct superstition, could that account for the lack of popularity in black greyhounds? Heh! Just realised that's like an oxymoron "black greyhound"! :laugh:

Most of the trainers I've spoken to seem to believe that black dogs run the fastest. I doubt they breed for colour though, greyhounds can carry black as either dominant or recessive so the chances of it popping up are quite high.

The colour they are superstitious about is blue dogs. Apparently blue dogs are slow.

My personal opinion on black greys(and I'm more than happy for Hardy's Angel or Skyseblue to correct me)is that they grey around the muzzle at a young age.They look old before their time.

The white hairs come up on all colours but I suppose they might be more apparent on black.

I always thought it looked kind of cuter than just a black face though :shrug:

Ahh the slow blue dog I have one of those in more ways than one. :laugh: Thanks HA for your info very interesting.Stan has the grey goatee happening and he's only 3.I agree with you it makes him more handsome than he already is.This is a great thread learning about things not only in my own breed of choice but others that I have no idea about. :thumbsup:

Ahh the slow blue dog I have one of those in more ways than one. :laugh: Thanks HA for your info very interesting.Stan has the grey goatee happening and he's only 3.I agree with you it makes him more handsome than he already is.This is a great thread learning about things not only in my own breed of choice but others that I have no idea about. :thumbsup:

Some definitely seem to go grey earlier than others. Grace was aged at approximately four years old and she had very obvious white beard happening.

I can sympathise with the greying greys though, I'm only 27 and it's already creeping in here :eek:

Edited by Hardy's Angel

staffords: blue or red... Amstaff's: blue, blue fawn... APBT's: red/rednose, choc... BT's: white, red/white, tri... sick of people breeding for colour and charging a fortune for it, personally I prefer a good black or black brindle in any of my fav breeds!