Natural Remedies For Pest Control

ellazpupz

Hi all,

I have been researching alternatives for flea/tick control for our pup when he arrives.

Has anyone got any great recipes or tips they can pass on...

I've been looking into 'diatomaceous earth' a fossil type of dust that you can use to kill and get rid of pest on your dog and around the house.

I've even seen doggie biscuits you can give with this 'DE' powder n them, to get rid of internal worms etc... The product is food grade and safe to eat.

Has any used it?

I use drontal intestinal wormers, and advocate for fleas and heartworm. If you live in a high-tick area you will also have to consider tick prevention, maybe Frontline, although that is less effective on fleas than some of the others.

You will need to use intestinal wormers on your puppy. Drontal is one but there are many others.

If you do not worm your puppy it may get very sick and die. I don't think DE is going to be a suitable alternative to an intestinal wormer.

If you do a search, this topic has been discussed many times, here and in the health forum. There are many different products on the market that work in different ways. Your vet will be able to give you advice on which combination of products may suit you if you are unsure.

I understand the need to be all natural. But when it comes to pets parasites are a real problem. My bestie swore on apple cider vinegar in the dogs water for worms, until his dog got worms, then he swore on drontal. I've had a dog almost die from tick paralysis because I slipped on the strict 3 week regime in tick season. We use Advocate as well as Drontal for the dogs, my mum was a hippy and she tried every natural thing out there to get rid of fleas but nothing worked, spot on treatments are the best.

There's a woman in the local dog park (of all places) who will not use chemicals on her dogs. Not sure if she tries natural products but one of her dogs has flea baldness from scratching itself red raw, both dogs are infested. Other people's dogs leave the park carrying their fleas ....

Pretty much every dog I rescue from a pound has fleas and therefore worm infestations. Not nice.

I won't ever subject my dogs to a chemical free life if it means they'll be infested, it's very bad for their health and mine.

Edited by dogmad

I use DE around the house instead of sprays or flea bombs, also dust in under the dog bedding. I have found it can be a bit drying on the skin when used as flea control on the dog.

becks- do you think it worked?

Thanks everyone for your advice, I certainly dont take this lightly and will put my pets health before 'trials' of things. I just thought if someone has been using any natural remedies and know they work, I would give it a go. It the good thig about this forum... people with lots of experience can help us with not much :)

I know some people that swear by this http://miteyfresh.com.au/ticks/Skudo_pet_protection.html on their dogs for fleas. That being said, I have found ticks on dogs with them on so I wouldn't want to bet my dogs life on it. Most of these owners say they lose efficacy after about 8 months or so. If it's just fleas you need to keep at bay it could be worth a try. If you have ticks then I wouldn't be trying anything else other than a pesticide such as Advantix. Not nice I know, but a necessary evil.