Just A Query - Nothing Definite

persephone

:(

Ran away down the street yesterday , bit the plumber this morning. Will probably be returned to the pound soon.

and I am not going to say to her "I told you so" ..but I did warn her that a young active dog, at the pound , reason unknown, was not a good idea....

:( I guess she'll be PTS now?

Most likely if she has bitten someone :( How sad.

It now sounds as if she was stirred up by teh others barking .. and ran in & nipped. took a broom to get her away tho.

Just sounds a bad choice... and why i suggested she get a fostered dog

well maybe she's learnt that she should listen to you now pers :)

It is a sad situation :(

Guest lavendergirl

Why is everyone writing her off?? Surely she deserves a bit more of a chance then a few days and then returned to the pound to be PTS. I have a rescue boy too and he has problems but we are trying to work through them - this is what you take on when adopting a dog with unknown history. Why not try a behaviourist as is so often recommended on this forum?

Why is everyone writing her off?? Surely she deserves a bit more of a chance then a few days and then returned to the pound to be PTS. I have a rescue boy too and he has problems but we are trying to work through them - this is what you take on when adopting a dog with unknown history. Why not try a behaviourist as is so often recommended on this forum?

I don't think any of us "wrote her off", the person who adopted her is the one who is returning her to the pound :confused: All we were saying is that she won't have much of a chance at being rehomed as she has bitten someone.

This dog has shown that it will bite people under certain (normal) circumstances. A behaviourist won't be able to wave a magic wand over this dog. It is better that this poor dog be given his wings and the lady gives a chance to another dog that needs a home. A dog that has been through a good assessment of its behaviour in various circumstances.

Once a dog has bitten somebody, it can be declared dangerous and there are fines and other responsibilities. This dog is a liability that no new dog owner should have to take on.

Because not EVERY dog owner has either the resources, the ability or desire to own a dog that requires that level of work. Kudos to those who do but those who don't shouldn't be mad to feel like bad dog owners because they want an easy to live with dog.

Talk to Dee Lee about just how stressful it can be for people to live with a dog completely unsuited to them and their family because they feel an obligation to work through a rescue dog's issues.

Its, quite simply, not for everyone.

Guest lavendergirl

Because not EVERY dog owner has either the resources, the ability or desire to own a dog that requires that level of work. Kudos to those who do but those who don't shouldn't be mad to feel like bad dog owners because they want an easy to live with dog.

Talk to Dee Lee about just how stressful it can be for people to live with a dog completely unsuited to them and their family because they feel an obligation to work through a rescue dog's issues.

Its, quite simply, not for everyone.

Who is Dee Lee?? I don't need anyone to tell me how stressful it is - I am living with it. I don't have the resources or ability either. I didn't know what problems came with this little guy but he is here now and we love him so will struggle on :D.

I just hope that something can be worked out for this little girl thats all.

Dee Lee is a DOLer who adopted a rescue dog that had all sorts of issues with aggression that she persevered with for years - working through his unknown issues caused a lot of problems for her family. My point is that just because YOUR family is willing and able to do that doesn't mean that everyone else should do.

I ran an all-breeds rescue for 6 years and probably have more of a hard-nosed view on things as, IME, for every dog that will bite with such little provocation there are two who won't.

She is adorable. I am so glad that in looking for a member of thier family they have rescued an animal in need!!! Hope they have many happy years ahead with her

So glad that I am not the only one who sometimes impulsively posts their happiness at a situation before reading the whole thread.

I agree with Tris - there are more dogs in need than there are good homes, so a case like this, assessed properly, I would rather see PTS so that the home can go to another dog (with no behaviour problems) that would otherwise have been PTS just because there was not enough room at the pound.