What Do These Initials Mean?

Boronia

Is Jumping Dog (JDX) similar to agility without the pace?

Ie. judged on how the dog handles the jump only - without a time judging also? I am looking at this as I'm wondering if it is better overall for the health of a dogs joints to do the 'jumping' minus the speed...?

Jumping is usually faster than Agility because there are no weavers (except in Open Jumping) or contact obstacles to slow the dogs down. It is a full course still but only has jumps and tunnels.

Ie. judged on how the dog handles the jump only - without a time judging also? I am looking at this as I'm wondering if it is better overall for the health of a dogs joints to do the 'jumping' minus the speed...?

I'm not convinced that going slower is better for the dogs, but I just wanted to point out that the dogs do not generally have to be fast in the lower levels, the times are quite generous.

Jumping is FAST :D Some dogs prefer jumping courses as they may not be as confident on the contact obstacles or weaves, and it can be more flowing.

If you want to do jumping without the speed element, you could do obedience, the higher levels have jumping but it is not the same speed/angled jumping that is in agility.

That would be a sight to see! dogs running and jumping as fast as they can go.

You should go and watch an agility trial sometime - what's really a sight to see is the poor handlers a) trying to remember where the course goes - yes the obstacles have numbers, but sometimes it's all happening a bit fast :laugh: ; and b" trying to steer the dog round the correct course. :rofl:

In terms of dog safety etc. - the minimum age to compete is 18 months - for that reason - and many people delay jumping and full size obstacle training until the dog is 12 months or more - but there's lots of handling/steering foundation stuff to do before then. :D

Oh - and in terms of titles - you can get multipliers in Masters and Open in ANKC - i.e. 7 passes at Masters Agility say, gives you ADM, then another 7 - ADM2 and so on. 5 passes in Open Jumping + JDO - another 5 + JDO2. If you really want to be amazed, have a look at sobriquet218's dogs - they are amazing!

Ok, now I am even more confused laugh.gif but I think I sort of understand... maybe rofl1.gif

I think the better way to ask would have been, 'What is this'?

It's very stylised and concise.

I watched a DVD I borrowed from the KCC library on the 2006 FCI Agility trials and now I think of it I think there was Jumping AND Agility on there. Of course thinking back I'm pretty sure I only watched the Agility section, but I do recall what you are saying about the jumping having no weaves or contact, and being faster. I also watched a DVD on 'Walking the Course' about crossovers, approaching jumps and signaling of the handler to the dog.

After watching this I've practised signaling Kesari over a log jump with body language and also from a distance, in conjunction with voice. I would love to do this slow paced obedience styled jump work or agility, as well as agility. Being so new at proper dog sports I'll admit getting into it is all very daunting, but next year I'll be giving it a red hot go! wink.gif

After a google search, that video is of International Rescuedog Organisation certification - so Search and Rescue dogs. VERY different to how you would want an agility dog to perform. If you want to do jumping like that, obedience is the way to go, or IPO obedience is like that too.

Edited by Kavik

The search and rescue makes sense, given who showed it to me!

We will be looking into serious obedience training next year, along with agility so will see how we go and which road we travel. Thanks for your knowledge (and google skills laugh.gif)

Good luck with your work with your own dogs too :)