When Buying 2 Dogs

wantsapuppy

I agree with Trisven, general consensus is male/female combination get on best. I would have at least a 2 yr gap. I have 12yr female, 8yr male, 5 1/2 yr male. My female gets on with males better, my males don't mind either way.

Totally agree - AT LEAST a 2 year gap.

I have a six month gap between my girl (5.5 yrs) and my boy (5 yrs). I THOUGHT Xena was well trained when CK came to live with us. (she was a very mature 9 months) 6 months in their case, with my experience was too close.

They bonded very closely and I had problems resting control of the household back from the two of them. Also - if you can't tell one dog to do something and know you are going to get it it can be very difficult to train the second. (Even in an every day sense of the word - not from a performance perspective.)

My current pup (1.5 years) was much easier to integrate into the household and to date we have hardly had any issues between her and the other two where as there was quite a bit of sorting out going on when CK started to mature.

Our next dog won't come to live with us until Wikki is at least 5 y.o.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a bit of a wink ;) I will acknowledge that if you can get people to wait 12 months they suddenly realise that they're not ready to go through it all again just yet :o ETA - I found convincing people to wait 12 months normally meant they waited 2 years or more, they just need to figure out that last bit for themselves :laugh: (God knows I would!)

Edited by Trisven13

Ok so yes I'm looking at getting labs sbd yes I go have 4 children. 3 of those under 4 . not necessarily at the same time i guess I'm assuming most breeders. Would use the same male for consecutive breeds . Hense the brother brother ect. I'm proberly Wrong in that

No the better breeders carefully consider each planned litter and use the best male available where ever he may be located and no matter who owns him. A sure sign of someone just breeding for profit in a popular breed is that they just use there own dog, that they always refer to as their "stud dog", to sire every litter. This is simply a cost cutting measure so they don't have to pay a stud fee. It shows that they have no idea about how to improve the breed by looking at complimentary dogs and lines. Any entire dog can sire a litter but that doesn't mean they should. Only the very best males should ever get to reproduce.

Also most breeders would have their next litter from a different bitch. Sometimes bitches have consecutive litter but not very often.

Ok so yes I'm looking at getting labs sbd yes I go have 4 children. 3 of those under 4 . not necessarily at the same time i guess I'm assuming most breeders. Would use the same male for consecutive breeds . Hense the brother brother ect. I'm proberly Wrong in that

No the better breeders carefully consider each planned litter and use the best male available where ever he may be located and no matter who owns him. A sure sign of someone just breeding for profit in a popular breed is that they just use there own dog, that they always refer to as their "stud dog", to sire every litter. This is simply a cost cutting measure so they don't have to pay a stud fee. It shows that they have no idea about how to improve the breed by looking at complimentary dogs and lines. Any entire dog can sire a litter but that doesn't mean they should. Only the very best males should ever get to reproduce.

Also most breeders would have their next litter from a different bitch. Sometimes bitches have consecutive litter but not very often.

:(

Edited by wantsapuppy

With a bit of a wink ;) I will acknowledge that if you can get people to wait 12 months they suddenly realise that they're not ready to go through it all again just yet :o ETA - I found convincing people to wait 12 months normally meant they waited 2 years or more, they just need to figure out that last bit for themselves :laugh: (God knows I would!)

Yep, have to agree with that. I always thought I'd bring home a second pup six months after the first. It ended up being three years and even that is a bit close. All I can say is thank God for a toilet trained, crate trained, mature dog with manners. One nutty pup is enough!

...but then I bought a Malinois so must delight in self torture.:laugh:

I got a 3 1/2 yr girl and a 13mth boy and a 6 mths girl they are all fantastic together,

the boy went to obedience classes not just puppy school and the younger girl I taught at home. The older girl I never did any formal training she just never does anything wrong.

the only prob i have is both pups come to the commands and are only just learning to listen to individual commands when training together.

from this experience i would have to the same age together. As it is mainly in the one on one training. No aggression whatso ever. But they are goldies.

I might just add it also matters on pups temperament, easy going laid back pups would be best for a planned multi dog family. You really don't want to bring home the most dominate pup or the most impolite pup out of a litter to an already existing dog/pups home.

Edited by Angeluca

What breed are you looking at? I think that makes a big difference. I have sold siblings in Cavalier litters that have worked out well. And why do you want two and how much work do you want to put in?

I even have a Cavalier Breed book that recommends getting two at the same time! The Authors says it's just as easy having two as one. And many times I've read that a dog likes company and two puppies are a good idea.

Pesonally I think it runs the risk of a very sad and damaged dog should the other one get sick or injured and pass away. I like spacing them myself.

I have friends who got 2 pups from the same litter - one male one female ridgeback X bullterriers. The male was the boss and always pushed the female out of the way when it came to pats and food, she didn't even bother coming out of her kennel most of the time. He passed away last year at age 11, and since then she has blossomed. It's great that she has had this time now but the first 11 years must have been hell for the poor thing.

This is a good thread has answered a few questions for me.. I dabbled with the idea of two dogs similar age thinking more fun for them and us but it was just an idea that has now been put to bed :-)

OP your a better person than I thinking about taking on 2 dogs with young children :-) , I had 4 under 4 and I was lucky to get out of my pj's by lunch time let alone take on training and keeping up with 2 dogs :-) LMAO I lost count the many times I bathed one twin twice thinking it was the other LOL what a mad house :-)

All sensible advice, however my in-laws purchased brother and sister labs two years ago and they are both well mannered, well behaved, beautiful dogs who are best friends. Now my mother-in-law committed herself full time to raising her "kids" so if you have the time and are committed, it can work.

It was also my in-laws first dogs. :)

PS. I would never personally try to raise two pups at once. :laugh:

I wouldn't get two baby puppies at once, however my two are only about 5 months apart in age and we have no issues.

My Mums' Chis are also brother and sister from the same litter and they are best mates, always have been, no issues there either, so I dont think it's a blanket rule.

I think it depends on the dogs and the owner, I can say for sure that I wouldn't get two Lab pups, or any other high energy breed together as babies, that would be a nightmare :eek:

All sensible advice, however my in-laws purchased brother and sister labs two years ago and they are both well mannered, well behaved, beautiful dogs who are best friends. Now my mother-in-law committed herself full time to raising her "kids" so if you have the time and are committed, it can work.

don't forget the OP is trying to get pregnant again as well,4 kids under say 5 and a possible newborn, bit different to your in-laws Jordan :D

I sold 2 pups to one guy from my last litter but only after I put him through the hoop in regards to his ability to do the right thing by the pups. Still early days but I certainly don't regret it, neither does the guy or the 2 pups, all are doing well.

I'm glad I resisted the urge to get another pup when we got Sniper.

I have just puppy sat 3 other dogs one of which is a puppy and there have been holes dug, toys shredded lots of barking.......

Sniper really enjoyed playing with the puppy but even he got over it eventually and wanted a rest (he is 1yo)

My 3 youngest. Aged 4 , 2almost 3 and 16 months are of the age how where they can play out side while I did so w training, obviously still supervised. This is why I'm asking LOTS of questions now because I want to do the right thing. I do plan on doing obedience training and home training as well, which would be done when my hubby got home so he could take over the skin kids. I'm definatly not takin this lightly I do realist that puppy's are like babies .

Guest donatella

I wanted to get a second Pom recently but decided against it a) because of good advice from here and b) when I take her to play with other dogs she doesn't listen to me at all, is too happy and busy playing, I can just imagine it would be like that 24/7 if i brought an extra pup into this house.

I think it is an individual preference. Yes the advice is good so far but that is only the opinion of the writer.

If you have facilities and time to be able to give time to each one and also to have 2 possibly rowdy pups jumping etc, get 2.

Its your choice.

Just because it didn't work for one person, doesn't mean its doom and gloom all the time.

I bred 2 litters of pups, (2 days apart) and kept 2 bitches from one litter :scold: and a boy from the other litter. They do spend a lot of time together but they also get single time too. This may not be every day but they all see me as their person, they all have recalls and know their individual names and get training time each. They also get training time with the distraction of the other pups and dogs trying to get in the way etc but hey............ its great distraction training.

I know of other people that often get multiple dogs at once or keep whole or most of a litter and their dogs all seem to get to perform at high levels at the sport they are for.

It is an individual thing. And it also depends on the individual temperaments of the pups

So I have 7 dogs (5 border collies all young) and 2 mature Kelpies. they all get along well most of the time, any puppy fights are quickly over and play resumes, or if I have to intervene, some quiet time is given.

I will admit training 3 pups and their mothers is a lot of work, but the rewards are there too.

I also work full time.

So I have done everything people say not to do and if anyone knows my dogs, they are all well adjusted, happy friendly dogs

Edited by dasha

<I lost count the many times I bathed one twin twice thinking it was the other LOL what a mad house :-) >

:laugh: You did give me a laugh! Good grief I can only imagine what I'd have been like if I'd had twins :eek:

I can laugh now but gosh it was a nightmare :-) love them 2 bits but still 4 under 4 insane.... ( surprise package they were indeed :-).

I got my male puppy first, and got my female puppy six months later. That meant that I had the time to train the first puppy and the second followed the first in most instances.

However, because the difference in age is not much, they loved playing and continue to love playing with each other.