Is Sentinel Safe To Use If You Have Cats?

Topoftheheap

Just wondering, as I can not find a website with the consumer information on it. If someone could point me in the direction of one that would be fantastic!

Also has anyone used Sentinel? Was it effective? how did you find it?

I currently use Frontline Original and Milbemax in combination with a heartworm preventative. But am thinking of changing as after two weeks the puppies are scratching and itchy, which is working out quite expensive. Frontline Plus I found was worse!!!!

Any info anyone has would be appreciated!!! And if you don't think Sentinel is a good product what do you use for your flea and worm treatments? How much a month do you spend on them?

Can't see why it wouldn't be safe to use around cats? It's a chewable that goes into the bloodstream rather than a spot on.

You may find it more expensive though, and it will only sterilise the adult fleas, not kill them. You're meant to use it in conjunction with Capstar when you see a flea.

I myself use Interceptor (Sentinel without the flea component) and Advantix because I need the tick protection (I buy both in 6 packs and get 20% discount from my work, I spend approx $120 for half a year for a 20kg dog.) Comfortis would be safe to use with Interceptor as well, and is also internal.

I use Sentinel Spectrum and have a cat - no problem.

But yes, if you have fleas around, you do need to use Capstar (or something like that) to get rid of those (sometimes comes in a bonus pack with Sentinel.) You'll need to get rid of the fleas from the environment too.

The one to be really, really careful about is Advantix spot on - that's lethal to cats - big warnings all over it.

I use Sentinel Spectrum and have a cat - no problem.

But yes, if you have fleas around, you do need to use Capstar (or something like that) to get rid of those (sometimes comes in a bonus pack with Sentinel.) You'll need to get rid of the fleas from the environment too.

The one to be really, really careful about is Advantix spot on - that's lethal to cats - big warnings all over it.

i knew advantix was posionous for cats and that's why im really careful!!!!!! just wasn't sure about sentinel!

Not sure about the cats but to answer your second-to-last question - soon after I put my girl on sentinel she developed demodectic mange :( Turns out the advocate she was on was keeping the demodex under control but the sentinel wasn't. Not a common scenario probably but just one thing to keep in mind :)

I now have my boy on sentinel and my girl on advocate. No problems with it for my boy, and i've never seen a flea.

Edited by Weasels

My boy is on Sentinel Spectrum and we have two cats. I can really see how the cats would be affected by a oral treatment, now spot ons are a different story. There is some info about Sentinel here http://www.pets.novartis.com.au/site/product_dog_sentinel.php Looking at the packet the active ingredients are milbemycin oxime, lufenuron and praziquantel.

We did catch a flea on our boy about two weeks ago (his next does of Sentinel does was due about a week later), so I just grabbed a bottle of the Fidos Fleatrol Plus. You can use it directly on the dog and also on their bedding and around the house which I liked. The cats got a does of Advacate spot treatment. No fleas since. :thumbsup: