Dogs Nsw Accredited Breeder Scheme

Tralee

Hi All. :)

Unless I have missed something, the Dogs NSW Accredited Breeder Scheme, being promoted and canvased on the Dogs NSW website, is identical in every respect with the DOGS NSW Registered Breeder application except that a breeder must have bred and kept records for five litters.

Both programs require adherance to the 'DOGS NSW Code of Ethics' and the 'Animal Welfare Code of Practice – Breeding Dogs & Cats.'

I am not sure it takes five litters to get 'due diligence in the care of animals' right or that responsibly keeping records for one litter is very different to keeping records for five.

However, I might have missed something if not I think the money might be better spent on an alternative program/scheme.

:cheers:

Px

Edited by Tralee

If one sees the CC's primary role as one of keeping records, I'd say this is a good step. . . . gentle coercion to get breeders to do more to keep records. Don't know if that's what it is . . . just a guess.

As someone who finds record keeping tedious, and who hates filing cabinets, I wish they'd move into the digital age and move all this stuff onto a good, transparent database with a user-friendly interface.

Edited by sandgrubber

I can't say I'm overly sold on the five litters idea. Breeders who breed less frequently may take ten or more years to breed five litters, yet their practices may be exemplary.

:thumbsup: Good post Aloysha.

fifi

I can't say I'm overly sold on the five litters idea. Breeders who breed less frequently may take ten or more years to breed five litters, yet their practices may be exemplary.

I have had 2 litters in 2 and 1/2 years, next one is planned for about 6 to 8 years time. Guess I'll never qualify :rofl:

Is this similar to the QLD version? If so, they also reqire those in the program to advertise in the monthly mag. Friends of mine have rejected the accreditation due to this financial issue.

In my opinion, having five litters doesnt raise a person above someone that has had four. But like so many 'awards', it makes for a nice catch line when advetising litters to unsuspecting buyers.

No mention of health testing history or titles required?

I hate the thought of mass breeders like that having another title they can flaunt to unknowing buyers.

I wonder if the NSW one is (in part) in an attempt to improve breeder advertising in the magazine? The advertising rates are woefully expensive, and consequently few breeders use it. For a magazine with limited circulation, perhaps better deals on member advertising could be in order, rather than another fee paying title that means little in reality?

• 2 weeks later...

Is this similar to the QLD version? If so, they also reqire those in the program to advertise in the monthly mag. Friends of mine have rejected the accreditation due to this financial issue.

In my opinion, having five litters doesnt raise a person above someone that has had four. But like so many 'awards', it makes for a nice catch line when advetising litters to unsuspecting buyers.

No mention of health testing history or titles required?

I hate the thought of mass breeders like that having another title they can flaunt to unknowing buyers.

I wonder if the NSW one is (in part) in an attempt to improve breeder advertising in the magazine? The advertising rates are woefully expensive, and consequently few breeders use it. For a magazine with limited circulation, perhaps better deals on member advertising could be in order, rather than another fee paying title that means little in reality?

I don't think that's legal. It would fall into a number of categories that I won't pre-empt but if that's what QLD is doing I would be very concerned.

Px