Vaccination/worming/flea Questions - Gsd Pup.

NewGsdOwner

Hi guys, I'm getting my GSD short-coat pup this Saturday. He will be just 3 days shy of 8 weeks old. I haven't had a puppy for a long, long time. So I just wanted to ask some questions regarding worming and vaccination.

As I understand my puppy must be vaccinated at between 10 and 12 weeks of age before he can go on walks and leave the home. How many vaccinations should a pup have before they reach full immunity, is it 3? The breeder has vaccinated him, but I don't know if I should take him to the vet as soon as I get home or when he turns 12 weeks old.

Secondly, if I remember correctly, my pup has to be wormed at 8,10,12 weeks of age, I have had some people tell me that I must worm him every month after that, whereas others say every 3 months after that, just how important is worming, I live in a suburban area. I know the main threats are heartworm, tapeworm, and hookworm and roundworm, this sounds like a lot of worming products to buy (but i will if i have to). I have heard there are some products that do heartworm, fleas and all the other worms in one hit, if so could you tell me the names of these worms, and would they need to be applied every month or three months? Also, are these all-wormers safe to use on puppies? Any comments/recommendations will be appreciated!

Hi guys, I'm getting my GSD short-coat pup this Saturday. He will be just 3 days shy of 8 weeks old. I haven't had a puppy for a long, long time. So I just wanted to ask some questions regarding worming and vaccination.

As I understand my puppy must be vaccinated at between 10 and 12 weeks of age before he can go on walks and leave the home. How many vaccinations should a pup have before they reach full immunity, is it 3? The breeder has vaccinated him, but I don't know if I should take him to the vet as soon as I get home or when he turns 12 weeks old.

Secondly, if I remember correctly, my pup has to be wormed at 8,10,12 weeks of age, I have had some people tell me that I must worm him every month after that, whereas others say every 3 months after that, just how important is worming, I live in a suburban area. I know the main threats are heartworm, tapeworm, and hookworm and roundworm, this sounds like a lot of worming products to buy (but i will if i have to). I have heard there are some products that do heartworm, fleas and all the other worms in one hit, if so could you tell me the names of these worms, and would they need to be applied every month or three months? Also, are these all-wormers safe to use on puppies? Any comments/recommendations will be appreciated!

Some of these questions the breeder should be able to answer, i.e. when worming needs to be done, when vaccinations need to be done etc. They will likely have started worming already ( at 3-4 weeks I think - could be wrong).

Most puppies begin their vaccinations prior to/at 8 weeks, and it depends upon the schedule adopted by the breeder and vet as to when the next one is due. I would suggest you ask the breeder?

A vet visit is a good idea after you pick him up to check that everything is in order etc. An initial checkup with the vet is a good idea to make sure there are no underlying issues and is often needed for any health guarantees the breeder gives you to remain valid.

I wouldn't take the puppy for walks or leave the house until after the 2nd vaccination at least, and the 3rd if it was a high risk area (your vet should be able to advise you).

One thing to make sure of is that the puppy is micro-chipped, it is illegal to sell an un-micro-chipped puppy in NSW.

Before choosing a heartworm, flea, worm treatment I would suggest talking to the breeder to see what they use (and have already given to the pup) and then I would ask the vet during your visit (within a few days of picking up the puppy).

your breeder should provide you with a vaccination certificate which will say when the next one is needed. I vaccinate my pups at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and then 15 months. I only do a C3 unless I know they will be going into kennels. It would be a good idea to take your pup to the vet asap for a general health check. I worm every 3 months after the 12 week worming. I give heartworm preventive every 6 weeks. I never give a pill/tablet that does everything every month. I consider it too many chemicals going into their body and they might not all be needed. Every one will have a different opinion! Good luck with your new friend.

Vaccines are usually given at 6-8 weeks (C3), 12-14 weeks (C3 or C5) and 16-18 weeks (C3 or C5).

There is also the option of the Nobivac vacc that is given at 6 and 10 weeks of age instead.

Worming, usually every 2 weeks until 8 weeks of age (breeder should have done this), then again at 12 weeks, then every 3 months (or as necessary) - unless you are giving an all in one heartworm/intestinal worming combo, then it is given monthly (or every 6 weeks).

Heartworm treatment begins at around 12 weeks and is given either monthly (chews or spot-ons) or daily (tablets).

Don't treat for fleas unless you have them. Interceptor is a good 'all in one' product. It does all intestinal worms and heartworm, Sentinal does all of the above plus fleas. If you're in a paralysis tick area you will need a something for this too (frontline plus or advantix), if not don't worry about it.

I personally disagree with keeping a pup home until all vaccs are complete, however you wouldn't want to take it into an area frequented by other dogs (ie a dog park) prior to a couple of weeks after the second vacc. Your vet will probably tell you to keep the dog home until 10 days after the last vacc..

Hope that helps :)

Edited by SecretKei