Staffy Colour

DAVERI

I refer to a post on a topic i added about a week ago about my new staffy as i refered to her as being Black someone replied the following:

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

Technically, there is no such thing as a pedigree black Stafford. They are all black brindle and if you look closely you will find a brindle hair on them somewhere

so sparking my interest i looked up the CCCQ standards for Staffordshire bull terriers and read this:

Colour - Red, fawn, white, black or blue, or any one of these colours with white. Any shade of brindle or any shade of brindle with white. Black and tan or liver colour highly undesirable.

so is the above statement un true and am i able to say my girl is Black or do i need to refer to her as Black/Brindle so as not to be corrected again :confused:

The standard was written before we had the scientific knowledge of genetics we have today. Basically the dark colour on a staff is there because of the brindle gene not the black gene we see in some other breeds. If your dog is a pure staffordshire it is brindle, even though the brindling may be so extensive that you can barely see the lighter colour.

It isn't the only thing in the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Standard that has found to be incorrect through genetic knowledge. The standards were written long ago. Genetic knowledge is increasing every day.

Your dog is black brindle.

Edited by Greytmate

shouldn't the standards be re written then if they are wrong!

Doesn't mean that it happens. :laugh: There is plenty wrong with the colours in the standard for my breed, and so far not an awful lot has been done about it. AFAIK the stafford standard also states that is allows blues, but nose pigment must be black. :laugh:

so is the above statement un true and am i able to say my girl is Black or do i need to refer to her as Black/Brindle so as not to be corrected again :confused:

wishful thinking on DOL!!!! :laugh:

Yea, you'll find you'll get corrected on everything anyway. I know some people on here would be horrified that you've called her a Staffy! :laugh:

Yea, you'll find you'll get corrected on everything anyway. I know some people on here would be horrified that you've called her a Staffy! :laugh:

:rofl::rofl: How true.....