Breed Suggestions

salamancat

If you want a rare breed stick to your guns! Make a choice meet some dogs and get on a waiting list sure it wont be a quick process but anything good is worth waiting for right? :D

I'm more than happy to wait for the right breeder and right puppy. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A Collie Rough would suit all of your criteria. Almost a rare breed these days, there are certainly less of them at shows than Aussie Shepherds. Med-large, easy care long coat, very easy going, easy to train, much calmer and not as bouncy as a Beardie or an Aussie.

I never thought of collies as being a rare breed as I grew up in a neighborhood of Uk immigrants and the collie was often their breed of choice for the family pet.

Then a few weeks ago I was driving through town and saw someone walking a beautiful black tri collie and I slowed down to look and it suddenly dawned on me that it's a very rare sight these days to see a collie anywhere outside of dog shows.

Pity, because they are a wonderful family dog.

No one on here ever seems to suggest them and they are wonderful family pets and much easier to live with than BCs and Aussies who are more suited to those that seriously want to compete in dog sports.

Hi my family and I are looking at adding a dog to our family in the not-too-distant future but we're stumped on what breed! I've been lurking for a while and have seen that people often ask for breed suggestions so thought I'd do the same.

My family is me, my husband and our daughter, Miss Seven. We have a six year old rescue Moggie who has been around dogs and is fine with them.

We lost our eleven year old yellow labrador three years ago.

We want a medium-large sized dog, probably something slightly more unusual that you don't see every day.

I am fine with long fur and am happy to groom.

I am home all the time and have plenty of time for training. Dog will go for a walk every day and I want to do obedience with it (I did obedience for fun with my lab until he became too arthritic.)

I think that's all, if you need to know anything else I' am happy to say.

If you decide on a not so rare breed and since no one else has suggested one, how about a Dalmatian.

They are happy family dogs. Some can be excitable and full on but ours is placid and happy to just mooch around the house. Easy to care for as they have a wash and wear coat. Very loyal companions. Our girl very rarely barks. Only if she is playing with other dogs otherwise she is silent. Georgia is good with cats and mice and stray turkeys/chickens from the neighbours yard. Not much of a guard dogs though. She would let them in and show them where the valuables are kept. :laugh:

Would be worth looking at a Brittany. They are medium size and probably on top of the list of breeds that love people. My dogs will actively seek pats from people. I have done obedience as well and they do enjoy it. If you dont want your puppy to jump up on your daughter (regardless of breed) it needs to be trained not to from the day it arrives home. Have you considered going to a show to see different breeds a nothing is better than seeing them in the flesh

Lots of good suggestions here. Have you done a few of the select -a dog type of online quizzes? They're often a good starting point for further research, if nothing else. Once you've narrowed down your shortlist, make sure that you go and meet the breed in person, so you can see what really appeals to you about each breed.

My shortlist was not dissimilar to a lot of the breeds suggested here; Aussies, Lappies, Collies, Shelties, Brittanies and the spaniels, so I'm going to throw my eventual breed of choice into the mix as well; the Welsh Corgi (Cardigan) - aloof with strangers, but devoted to their family and friends, a medium sized dog with shorts legs, need a fair amount of mental stimulation and love training, but don't go stir crazy if they miss a walk or two. Bred as a cattle herding dog and general farm dog, and don't generally have a high prey drive (mine lives easily with cats). Do shed (quite a lot) but easy grooming and coat care. Unusual looking, especially in the brindle and merle colours. My girl is a red brindle and white, and we're always getting asked what sort of corgi mix she is. Shandy is a titled show dog, obedience dog, dancing dog and certified therapy pet, but she's an amazingly sweet, even tempered and easy to live with dog.