Puppy Comforter

mumof4girls

Hi everyone, I was thinking of purchasing a puppy comforter for my new pup, after researching I wonder if I really need to.

Has anyone here used one and do you think it was worthwhile?

Would it be better to give the breeder a towel to put in with the littermates?

I was even thinking of putting my scent on his crate mat, I will be nursing him home from the breeder and having contact when first home, i was thinking then when in the crate he will have a familiar scent?

I just want him to feel secure I guess :-)

I just used an old shirt, wore it the day before picking him up and put that in his bed. Also had a hot water bottle for warmth. We never had problems with him settling when i put him to be (slept in a crate next to our bed). First night was about 10 minutes of whimpering and the next was practically nothing.

When i got up in the middle of the night to take him to the toilet, i would reheat the bottle so once he went back to bed it was nice and cuddly and warm for him.

I think if you could get a blanket or towel for the breeder to use and then give back to you when you pick up your pup it would be really helpful. I really wish I had because my boy took months to settle down at night in the crate.

Edited by Cat

Guest donatella

I got given a blanket when I picked her up that her and her brothers scent on it.

But she slept in my bed so it didn't get too much use :laugh:

I'd given my pup a teddy to could cuddle up with. He came from interstate so we weren't able to get anything with his littermate's scent on for him. That with the ticking clock was all he needed, just stirred once overnight to go to the bathroom for the first few weeks. We never had any REALLY unsettled nights thankfully.

Edited by ktig

Ha yes Sway i was meaning that I had thought my scent would be fine as I said in my initial post that i would be holding him etc on the way home and then close contact once home. i thought maybe my scent would be a comfort when in the crate,,, but yes litter mates would be better, I am going to see if the breeder will take a towel from me to put in with them..smile.gif

( bad wording on my part frown.gif )

If you're sending a towel, they usuall get put in a plastic bag and affixed to the top part of the whelping box where the pups can't get to it.

I don't think the breeder would put it in the whelping box as it would get soiled?

I have used a snuggle puppy (with heart beat and warming pad) on a few dogs and all 'used' it for about a month before they no longer slept near it.

I've never used on and the towels that I send with pups, usually end up soiled and chucked out. The pups have had no problems at all settling. It's mroe about what the breeder does with the pups, in terms of seperating them for short periods and getting them used to being alone, before the pups leave home, that's really going to make the difference

Mmm OK so I might have a chat with the breeder on my first visit, maybe I could give her an old shirt so she could put it in with them for an hour or so before I pick him up?

MEH I was looking at those but on eBay they are up in the $50/$60 mark thought that was a bit much if it was only needed for a short time..