Letter From Brendan O'connor Suggest Bsl May Become National

Leema

Please share and cross post. Letter received from Brendan O'Connor suggest that BSL may become national! Please visit this link to see pro-forma letters you may wish to use to express your displeasure:

http://leemakennels.com/blog/dogs-and-politics/south-australia-dont-copy-victorias-bsl/

Entire page copy and pasted below - but if you visit the link, it looks prettier.

After my breed specific legislation letter writing spree, I just received a extremely concerning letter from The Hon. Brendan O’Connor MP (via Amanda Rishworth MP) regarding dangerous dog legislation is South Australia.

This post is a call to action. Now is the time to immediately write a letter of protest to Brendan O’Connor. We do not want South Australia to replicate the mistakes of Victoria’s breed specific dog legislation.

Letter from Brendan O'Connor - click to enlarge

The most fundamental aspect of the letter is this:

…the Australian Government … is taking steps to protect Australians from dangerous dogs… The Attorney-General and I have written to our State and Territory counterparts to encourage them to develop nationally consistent laws relating to the registration and management of dangerous dogs, including offences and penalties.

To me, there is no doubt, that these ‘nationally consistent laws’ mean copying the flawed and devastating laws hurriedly passed in Victoria, as a knee jerk reaction to the tragic death of Ayen Chol. Already, Dr Karen Davies has described how “for the first time in 20 years I am questioning if I still want to do this job” euthanasing a sweet natured dog that unfortunately met the current description of a ‘pit bull’. Then there stories of councils refusing to register dogs of pit bull type, leaving them vulnerable to euthanasia. And rangers being abused while seizing unregistered pitties and systematically doorknocking to ensure annihilation of pitbulls in some council areas.

And, amongst this, dog bites are still happening in Victoria.

All dog savvy people know that this is only the beginning of the ‘epic fail’ that is Breed Specific Legislation. Sadly, it seems that politics is more interested in looking sexy than reducing dog bites.

I have a letter written to both Brendan O’Connor and John Rau (the Attorney-General), and they’re provided in a more general fashion below. You are most welcome to copy and paste these, word for word, or write similar letters to these individuals. Please, please do something. We can only try.

Brendan O’Connor can be contacted through his online form, or by emailing [email protected]

Dear Mr O’Connor,

I appreciate that you have taken the time to respond Tegan Whalan’s comments regarding dangerous dog legislation, and it seems that we are both dedicated to reducing the incidence of dog bites in the community.

However, I am troubled that your interest in developing “nationally consistent laws” regarding dangerous dogs may lead to replication of Victoria’s Liberal Government’s heinous, ineffective, knee-jerk legislation. I hope that the Labor government can provide a more sensible and thoughtful approach to the dog bite conundrum.

The rushed nature of the Bailleu government’s bill has become clear in the aftermath of the legislation, with pit bull type dogs being euthanised, councils refusing to register pit bull type dogs, and rangers systematically doorknocking areas, and being abused, in order to enforce this legislation.

The most concerning aspect of this is that legislation targeting breed, as seen in Victoria, has never been shown to be effective in reducing the incidence of dog bites. That is, the Liberal government has chosen to invest in an ineffective, flawed, and costly scheme that will do little to improve public safety.

Governments in the Netherlands, in Spain, in the UK, and in Denmark, have all implemented breed restrictions and have not found a reduction in dog bites. In fact, in the UK, dog bites increased by 50% following the introduction of legislation and, in Denmark, dog bites increased by 60%. Not only are regulations restricting breeds ineffective in reducing dog bites, they can actually be counterproductive. I am sure that, with your interest in protecting Australians from dog bites, you can see how any legislation involving restrictions on particular breeds is unlikely to establish these goals.

I must congratulate the SA Labor government for its continued funding of the Dog and Cat Management Board. This board is a key educational body for dogs in South Australia, and its continued support is imperative for the education of all members of the community: adults, children, and dog owners. Dog bites are a multifaceted problem, and education is key to reaching all elements of the dog bite problem.

Many council areas struggle to effectively upkeep the legislation as specified in the Dog and Cat Management Act. I would encourage your government to consider increasing resources available to councils, so that rangers can more effectively monitor and manage dogs in their area.

I am sure that you and the Labor Party will commit to legislation that has been proven to work in reducing the incidence of dog bites, instead of engaging in irrational and ineffective legislation like that introduced by the Victorian Liberal Party. The dog world, including associations such as the Australian Veterinary Association, rejects breed specific legislation that will do nothing to reduce dog bites. The dog world looks forward to a more logical and rational proposal from the SA Labor Party.

I welcome your email, phone call, or if you wish to meet with me in person. My number is xxxx

Sincerely,

John Rau can be emailed at [email protected]

Dear Mr Rau,

It is my understanding that you have been in discussions with Mr Brendan O’Connor regarding dangerous dog legislation. I am dedicated to reducing the incidence of dog bites in the community, and I am growing concerned that South Australia may replicate the recent ineffective, knee-jerk legislation implemented in Victoria.

The rushed nature this bill has become clear in the aftermath of the legislation, with pit bull type dogs being euthanised, councils refusing to register pit bull type dogs, and rangers systematically doorknocking areas, and being abused, in order to enforce this legislation.

The most concerning aspect of this is that legislation targeting breed, as seen in Victoria, has never been shown to be effective in reducing the incidence of dog bites. That is, this flawed, and costly scheme that will do little to improve public safety.

Governments in the Netherlands, in Spain, in the UK, and in Denmark, have all implemented breed restrictions and have not found a reduction in dog bites. In fact, in the UK, dog bites increased by 50% following the introduction of legislation and, in Denmark, dog bites increased by 60%. Not only are regulations restricting breeds ineffective in reducing dog bites, they can actually be counterproductive. I am sure that, with your interest in protecting Australians from dog bites, you can see how any legislation involving restrictions on particular breeds is unlikely to establish these goals.

I must acknowledge the Dog and Cat Management Board, and the imperative role it plays in educating the community on dogs and safety. Dog bites are a multifaceted problem, and so the delivery of programs to adults, children, and dog owners through the Board is key in reducing dog bites.

Many council areas struggle to effectively upkeep the legislation as specified in the Dog and Cat Management Act. I would fully support any moves to increase resources available to councils, so that rangers can more effectively monitor and manage dogs in their area.

I am sure you share my commitment legislation that has been proven to work in reducing the incidence of dog bites, instead of engaging in irrational and ineffective legislation like that introduced in Victoria. The dog world, including associations such as the Australian Veterinary Association, rejects breed specific legislation that will do nothing to reduce dog bites. The dog world looks forward to a more logical and rational proposal that can truly make a difference.

I welcome your email, phone call, or if you wish to meet with me in person. My number is xxxx

Sincerely,

Please, please, do something in regard to this matter. Share this post (Twitter, Facebook, whatever) and write letters and make noise.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a reply from Minister Walsh in Victoria in response to one of my letters too- except I think they sent me the wrong pro forma. It was basically reassuring me that they're taking care of dangerous dogs, and that we'll all be safe and blah blah blah.

I'm a public servant and have written countless replies to Ministerial correspondence - but I'm always careful to actually address what the letter writer raised! This was ridiculous. I'm sure there are pro formas that they have and use for this issue, but jesus, get the right ONE people!

I got a reply from Minister Walsh in Victoria in response to one of my letters too- except I think they sent me the wrong pro forma. It was basically reassuring me that they're taking care of dangerous dogs, and that we'll all be safe and blah blah blah.

I'm a public servant and have written countless replies to Ministerial correspondence - but I'm always careful to actually address what the letter writer raised! This was ridiculous. I'm sure there are pro formas that they have and use for this issue, but jesus, get the right ONE people!

Geez thats pathetic!

I've always said a bunch of 5yr olds could run this country better then the idiots we have in charge!