How Can Anyone Think Its Right To Hit A Dog!

whitka

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My partner has a friend that insists it's okay to BEAT dogs when they do something wrong, i.e. smack and kick them repeatedly. It's disgusting, I will never let him in the same room as my dog, I think he is a vile monster.

Did the thing the dog was chewing belong to the housemate? And did they agree to have the dog stay for a few days?

Doesn't excuse it but if they are not happy having the dog there and they are paying rent or whatever it might explain it.

Just a couple of weeks ago one was looking after a friends dog here and I never saw them hit this dog at all.

The most he has gotten is a tap on the bum.

Did you not just answer your own question 'How can anyone think it's right to hit a dog'? Can you define the difference between a hit, a smack and a tap?

Unless you had never touched your dog in ANY manner, isn't it a bit hypocritical to then start a thread with this title and rant about how wrong it is for people to hit dogs.

My issue would be, as you have also pointed out, that it is not his dog to hit, but that should be reflected in the thread title.

I admit that I have on occasion smacked my dogs, but heaven help anybody else if they ever did.

:laugh: @ BullArab

I was helping a vet with puppy classes a few years ago when a husband-owner hit a puppy border collie in the face. It was so hard I jerked backwards in shock and the vet gasped in horror. The wife asked me to talk to her hubby about hitting dogs as she couldn't stop him. I took him aside and showed him some training techniques using luring and talked about alternatives and he was astonished how easy it was. He said as a kid they trained their dogs to sit by wacking them down into position and same for drop and he thought everyone did it that way. I can't remember the reason for the head wack. I saw him again a few weeks later and he was so grateful he had learnt a better way and was so happy his pup no longer crawled along the ground in fear when he walked into the room.

If your flat-mate like that - or is he just a bully who wouldn't even admit he did wrong? I'm guessing by your post - he is the latter. Like everyone says - keep the poor dog away from him.

The most he has gotten is a tap on the bum.

Did you not just answer your own question 'How can anyone think it's right to hit a dog'? Can you define the difference between a hit, a smack and a tap?

Unless you had never touched your dog in ANY manner, isn't it a bit hypocritical to then start a thread with this title and rant about how wrong it is for people to hit dogs.

My issue would be, as you have also pointed out, that it is not his dog to hit, but that should be reflected in the thread title.

I admit that I have on occasion smacked my dogs, but heaven help anybody else if they ever did.

:laugh: @ BullArabe

Well for me a tap would be say tapping someone on the shoulder to get there attention and a hit on the head ould be slapping someone the in face thats how I differ them.

whitka, it was asked in an earlier post whether your housemate agreed to have the dog in your house? This could cause resentment expressed in aggression towards the dog when behaving badly. Please know i do NOT condone the hitting of the dog.

Is your housemate a dog lover? Does he understand their behaviour? It sounds like he needs educating, you have the perfect opportunity to do that now.

The most i have physically reprimanded a dog is a tap on the bum or a flick of the nose when sniffing my food. I would not give a big smack to a dog.

I can think of a number of reasons why someone might think it's right to hit a dog.

-They believe it is an appropriate way to discipline a dog

-They have found the technique has worked in the past

-They are not aware of an appropriate alternative

-Frustration

-Personal issues

The list is not exhaustive and I don't agree with all of the reasons.

For the record I have 'hit' my dog and will more than likely do it again. For me it's a final resort when he is just too far out of control and unable to focus, I use it only once other techniques have failed (verbal command then a aggressive vocal warning). I only ever make contact with his rump and no harder than when I would give him affectionate 'smacks'. Once he has snapped out of 'crazy mode' we will walk away from the situation and do an easy command i.e. sit and he will receive positive reinforcement. For me that works so I don't see an issue with it, my boy certainly has no fear of me or any other person for that matter.

I don't believe your housemate did the right thing but as I see it you have two options:

-Have a no confrontational discussion and offer some alternatives for disciplining the dog, even demonstrate how to go about it.

-Keep the dog away from the housemate.

It doesn't of itself make your housemate a monster as they may simply have a different belief system.

What was the dog chewing? If it was a sock, most people would not get too upset but if it was an expensive item or something that might ruin a set eg a dining chair, different story about the level of anger.

When discussing minding a Staffie, did the discussion move to having a reasonable chance that some of out items may be chewed (given the dog's breed/history/being in a new environment etc). If not, it is probably irrational to be judgmental.

In any case, if the discussion only revolves around, "I am right, they are wrong", there is no chance of resolving any differences.Sometimes that is not bad if you feel strongly enough about a situation but it is also a wasy of isolating yourself from anyone who does not share your world view, ie, the vast majority of people.

If you're going to use a physical correction it needs to be enough to be effective but not so much as to create more problems plus it has to be properly timed. Most people whacking on dogs haven't got a clue.

This.

I have smacked / slapped my dogs before - always my correction is instantaneous, almost to the point where I'm aware what I've done only after I've done it. (If that makes sense.) Smack/slap/tap is always in response to disrespectful behaviour, like pushing, barging, nipping, snarl - puppy / adolescent shenanigans.

Edited by lilli

If you're going to use a physical correction it needs to be enough to be effective but not so much as to create more problems plus it has to be properly timed. Most people whacking on dogs haven't got a clue.

This.

I have smacked / slapped my dogs before - always my correction is instantaneous, almost to the point where I'm aware what I've done only after I've done it. (If that makes sense.) Smack/slap/tap is always in response to disrespectful behaviour, like pushing, barging, nipping, snarl - puppy / adolescent shenanigans.

Agree. I have smacked on the bum if behaviour has been very bad such as the above, when I say smack though I'm a softie and Mosley rarely even looks round if I smack him on the rump!

For the record I have 'hit' my dog and will more than likely do it again. For me it's a final resort when he is just too far out of control and unable to focus, I use it only once other techniques have failed (verbal command then a aggressive vocal warning). I only ever make contact with his rump and no harder than when I would give him affectionate 'smacks'. Once he has snapped out of 'crazy mode' we will walk away from the situation and do an easy command i.e. sit and he will receive positive reinforcement. For me that works so I don't see an issue with it, my boy certainly has no fear of me or any other person for that matter.

But what is the point giving a dog a correction when it's highly aroused like that and has passed it's threshold? There is no point correcting the dog at that stage, it won't learn anything.

I have smacked zorro when he has been VERY naughty and not listening I do not beat him and I don't smack him for no reason only when he would not drop a toad or has be found eating a shoe which he knows is wrong. But he gets lots of praise even when he does the smallest thing right. I think just like a naughty child giving them a smack on the bottom when they have done somthing really naughty is fine but I would never beat a child or animal and hurt them out of anger or because I was up set that is wrong.

Two nights ago I was in bed and Marie was sleeping on the bed too - she jumped off the bed and decided to chew on my underpants that I hadn't put in the dirty clothes basket (gorgeous scent hound that she is :rolleyes:). I verbally corrected her and she kept going so she got a two finger tap on the nose with an ugh noise to leave it alone. It seemed reasonable at the time and it worked :shrug:.

Simple solution, look after an adolescent high-drive working dog for a week. If flatmate still thinks smacking is useful, they are oblivious. Without making any comment on the ethics of the situation, it's a sure way to get a lively one going!

I guess my intent is to stop the behaviour rather than ‘teach’ the dog anything in particular. The occasions I have used ‘hitting’ as a physical correction have been when my pup has posed a danger to my cat (actually probably more of a danger to himself ;)). My boy is still only a pup (almost 9 months) being a large breed he has been capable of putting significant areas of the cat in his mouth from a very early age. I have hit him for putting the entire cats head in his mouth and putting his mouth around the cats back. Now that I trust he has a concept of appropriate bite pressure and that the cat will correct him without causing the pup damage, I allow the cat to set the limits.

Huski I would be interested in hearing alternative methods though.

Dog training/correction is an interesting topic (bound to be divisive) and I doubt anyone has the perfect solution for every dog/every situation (plenty of course would be a lot closer than I am). I try to keep an open mind, my family’s dog who is almost 14 years old now was trained using far more physical correction than my current pup, why? Because that was the way my family believed you trained a dog. Was it the best training technique? No. Did it work? Yes. Was she unduly traumatised leading to fear/aggression towards people? No.

Two nights ago I was in bed and Marie was sleeping on the bed too - she jumped off the bed and decided to chew on my underpants that I hadn't put in the dirty clothes basket (gorgeous scent hound that she is :rolleyes:). I verbally corrected her and she kept going so she got a two finger tap on the nose with an ugh noise to leave it alone. It seemed reasonable at the time and it worked :shrug:.

But if you had taught the dog 'drop it' and 'leave it', you wouldn't have had to verbally correct or tap the dog on the nose at all.

I'm not against using punishment in some situations, but what I have noticed is that people who do use corrections/punishment stop 'using their words' and punishment becomes a quick fix so they don't actually have to train their dogs as much as someone who refuses to use corrections.

Here we go I have an idea for you

Tonight on your way home go to the shop and get the following.

1 Packet of 3 min noodles

1 Packet of Tim Tams

1 Bucket of KFC

1 6 pack of Bundy and Coke

1 Bottle of water

1 Packet of Jaffas

1 Piece of 4X2

Call and say you have made dinner so just come home

Set table as follows

Plate with KFC in centre

Tim Tams on plate at edge

Open Bundy can on other edge

Soften noodles (no seasoning) then put in a bowl on the table when cold.

Put water in a dirty glass

Get a treat pouch and put the Jaffas in it and stand out of sight with the 4X2

When he comes in and grabs anything but the noodles yell at him in a language he doesn't understand hit him with the 4X2 and take a piece of chicken or a tim tam for yourself.

It is very important at this point not to explain why or to speak in english. If he trys to defend himself you know what to do.

When he goes for a bundy again yell in Swahili hit with 4X2 and drink some bundy yourself.

Repeat until he goes for the noodles (no fork) and when he does throw a jaffa at him and say "YES" good boy.

Same goes for the water

Repeat until he gets the message or you break the 4X2.

Then give the left over's to the dog (but take the bones out of the chicken)

This is very similar to the method my OH employed to get me to pick up towels and put socks in the washing basket!!!!

Wtf!! Lol! Love it..so OT, what's the towl story..

I guess my intent is to stop the behaviour rather than ‘teach’ the dog anything in particular. The occasions I have used ‘hitting’ as a physical correction have been when my pup has posed a danger to my cat (actually probably more of a danger to himself ;)). My boy is still only a pup (almost 9 months) being a large breed he has been capable of putting significant areas of the cat in his mouth from a very early age. I have hit him for putting the entire cats head in his mouth and putting his mouth around the cats back. Now that I trust he has a concept of appropriate bite pressure and that the cat will correct him without causing the pup damage, I allow the cat to set the limits.

Huski I would be interested in hearing alternative methods though.

Did smacking him stop the behaviour completely though? I mean did it happen again? If the dog has decent prey drive smacking him is not going to stop him seeing the cat as a prey item. Depending on the level of prey drive he has, he may just stop doing it around you (if at all).

Dog training/correction is an interesting topic (bound to be divisive) and I doubt anyone has the perfect solution for every dog/every situation (plenty of course would be a lot closer than I am). I try to keep an open mind, my family’s dog who is almost 14 years old now was trained using far more physical correction than my current pup, why? Because that was the way my family believed you trained a dog. Was it the best training technique? No. Did it work? Yes. Was she unduly traumatised leading to fear/aggression towards people? No.

I think many people have a different idea of what it means to say something 'works', too.