Leaving Puppy Outside

simmo

when I got max he didn't go outside until he was 16wks old. We lived in a house that had a awning and he was allowed out there but not on the grass as he hadn't had all his shots yet and I was worried about him getting parvo.

Now.... he is outside most of the day but the door is open to inside so he can come and go as he pleases. we have a huge backyard and he loves being outside.

jenna didn't go outside until she was 14wks... however when we got jenna we were at a new home and I didn't know the history of animals there and I didn't want her on the grass as, again, I was worried about parvo because she hadn't had all her shots. She did go outside though, she came on car trips with me and was allowed fresh air... but she didn't step foot on the grass until she had her shots.

I talked to my vets about this and they've always recommended keeping them inside if you haven't lived at a home for more than 3 years as thats apparently how long it takes parvo to stick around. i didn't, and still don't, think there is anything wrong with keeping your puppy inside until they've had their shots... i know people who have taken their 8wk old puppied to dog parks which scares the hell out of me.

again, jenna is also outside most of the day and they love it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic