Paralysis Tick Vaccine Research

Ron

It would be wonderful to have a vaccine. I've been saying for years why can't they come up with something to spray the yard for paralysis ticks, but I would guess it would be too strong for our pets to be safe from. :confused:

Edited by luvsdogs

It would be wonderful to have a vaccine. I've been saying for years why can't they come up with something to spray the yard for paralysis ticks, but I would guess it would be too strong for our pets to be safe from. :confused:

Hi Ther

There is a product to spray your yards for Paralysis ticks. It is called Solfac Pro made by Bayer. It is a concentrate (you make it up in a spray dispenser @ 10mls per litre) and it has up to 3 month residual effect. it does Paralysis ticks, spider, cockroaches, fleas, silverfish, flies, crickets.millipedes and others. It is a rapid knockdown effect and long residual action, is odour free. It is safe and is AQIS approved (for non-product) in export meat works. For indoors and outdoors use Speciifc use for intensive animal housing.

I hope this helps

A while back, there was a research program at one of the (NSW?) universities. But it ceased operating (maybe a funding issue?).

So it's good to see that research into a possible vaccine is back. Such a horrendous problem.

I've got a very vague memory that there was some interest in the fact that the paralysis tick doesn't kill some native animals....& that some clue to immunity might be found there. I stand to be corrected, tho'.

ADDED: Found this. Matthew Shaw, Dpt of Zoology & Entomology, UQ:

Native animals with regular exposure to paralysis ticks usually have some immunity to paralysis toxin. Nonetheless a long list of mammals and some birds are known to have succumbed to paralysis.

Edited by mita

I used to own a dog that was completely immune to paralysis ticks. We discovered it after going away for a few days and getting home to fine the idjit looking after him hadn't checked him for ticks. He had 19 paralysis ticks on him and a lot were fully engorged but he was fine. Where we lived he tended to pick up a couple every day and never once got sick in 16 years. Was amazing!!!