Volunteering For Local Clubs

Topoftheheap

Hi,

I am relatively new to showing, only just starting about two months ago, however, I here all the time how hard it is for the local clubs to get help organising shows etc.

I would like to volunteer my time, but am not really sure how to go about it. I don't really know how to contact the clubs and what to say.

I have a couple of questions that Im hoping some of you could answer

I live in the Central Coast/Newcastle area - what sort of clubs are nearby?

What sort of 'help' do they need?

How do I go about offering said help?

Is it possible to be an active member of a kennel club and stay out of the politics?

And some people have told me its a waste of time, as they don't want new people involved? Surely this can't be true?

Please don't yell at me!!!

I don't know what clubs to contact etc but I'm sure someone in the area can assist with this.

Attending shows and volunteering in person is possible, or contacting the clubs before hand and offering. I can't see a club openly rejecting help unless they are overrun with volunteers. If they have a fair few volunteers ask if you can perhaps shadow someone to improve your skills and knowledge of what is involved?

I highly recommend taking any steward courses on offer as well, these give a great deal of insight and help gain confidence in new skills.

No one will yell and those that get involved in politics generally allow themselves to get involved. Stay above it.

The CNCC showground at Hillsborough hosts shows almost every w/e.

Have a cruise past, if there is a show in progress, call in, ask someone at the secretaries hut.

I'm sure you find out all you need to know.