Chicken Wings

jamesn184

Totally depends on your dog. The bones themselves are fine so long as they're not swallowed whole - which can result in a choking hazard. My dog started on bones very early in life and so now although he's big, we can safely feed him anything from chicken necks to whole chickens because he chews (we don't make a habit of feeding him chicken necks, just gets a couple because the cat can't get through a whole packet before they go off and I can't find smaller packets). Sammy's best friend is a chocolate labrador who is a little on the chubby side but smaller than Sammy overall. He can not safely be given anything smaller than half a chicken because he is half vacuum cleaner. Consequently we have to be careful when he comes over that Sammy hasn't left any bones in the yard - Sammy is not really an enthusiastic eater but the lab lives to eat and will eat anything, no matter how old or decomposed...

Edited by jacqui835

If your dog has been taught to chew it will not "gulp" them down..... I would maybe hand feed him a few make sure he knows to chew them..... then supervise him and see how he goes... I think he will be fine, My 12 week old dally still eats chicken necks, he loves them... he chews them very well... he chews everything.

I think it's way too small for a Goldie puppy. Maybe a chicken quarter.

I disagree. Whether they are appropriate depends on the dog and its eating 'style'.

I feed my 60kg+ great dane chicken wings most nights as he does not gulp and crunches them up.

I disagree. Whether they are appropriate depends on the dog and its eating 'style'.

I feed my 60kg+ great dane chicken wings most nights as he does not gulp and crunches them up.

Agree with Danois. I feed my 6mo wei, 4yo wei and 5yo English setter these types of bones and none have issues (I'm always home and supervising when they eat though). If my oldest dog could have chicken, he wouldn't be fed wings, because he is a gulper.

My 7kg dog sometimes chews nicely and sometimes wolfs down wings. Their 'styles' can change, according to hunger or other factors. It's just not worth the risk of choking IMO. Anyway there's not much effort needed in wings, and not too much meat either. Then again I feed raw only. To each his own.

I did a test feed with 1.. I heard 1 crunch then it went straight down.. she didn't choke which was good!

I might just hand feed them and make sure she chews them.

Btw she does get 1 Beef bone a week

Try Roo tails, they are great or bulli chews, Gus had a roo tail the other day (raw) he loved it lasted him a few hours aswell.

You can get them from your local petbarn in the freezer section.

Arby the 16 week old Staffy pup (10kg) loves his wings, he gets a couple for dinner maybe every 2nd night. However i am paranoid about choking so someone always has to supervise him when he has them (which is no big deal at all in my opinion). He has had a bit of a gutz and choke once when OH was watching him, managed to get it up and actually chew it properly. Otherwise he chews and crunches away on them happily (and when i can't hear chewing he gets reminded "Are you chewing Arby?!" and crunch crunch crunch off he goes again :laugh:

I always worry with wings.. Mainly because i had a dog that swallowed/gulped a whole wing without chewing and scared the hell out of me! Now i always smash (with a tenderizer) chicken necks and drummetts before giving them. I didn't know u could buy frozen kangaroo tails ! :S

I always worry with wings.. Mainly because i had a dog that swallowed/gulped a whole wing without chewing and scared the hell out of me! Now i always smash (with a tenderizer) chicken necks and drummetts before giving them. I didn't know u could buy frozen kangaroo tails ! :S

Yeap you can buy frozen roo tail, its 2.99 I think a bag and you get 4 big chunks in a bag, its 1 tail cut into 4... its great because its quite meaty and it takes the dogs/pups a while to get through them..... it kind of looks like a giant chicken neck :S hahah