Feeding

TheCheekyMonster

I fed my little boy 3 times a day until 16weeks, I was considering keeping that way for another month or so, but he was losing interest in lunch, so I phased it out then. Haven't looked back!

Yea... his just putting on weight so quickly.... about 1kg a week...... so I think ill cut out lunch....not only is it a real pain for me to come home every lunch break to feed him but he seems to be fine with just breaky and dinner..... he gets big bones throught the day so I guess that will do till dinner.. (which it has been)

I fed my little boy 3 times a day until 16weeks, I was considering keeping that way for another month or so, but he was losing interest in lunch, so I phased it out then. Haven't looked back!

Yea... his just putting on weight so quickly.... about 1kg a week...... so I think ill cut out lunch....not only is it a real pain for me to come home every lunch break to feed him but he seems to be fine with just breaky and dinner..... he gets big bones throught the day so I guess that will do till dinner.. (which it has been)

It's usually 3 times a day up until 6 mths, twice a day until 1 yr then daily. The topic came up at a recent conference I went to & the speaker said that in the wild dogs will eat 3 times a day, if they can get it, & she feeds her dogs twice a day.

You also have to grow a large breed puppy slowly to protect growing bones & joints. I would also think that as an adult to still feed twice a day so he's not getting all his calories in one hit. Does that age me or what?

It's usually 3 times a day up until 6 mths, twice a day until 1 yr then daily. The topic came up at a recent conference I went to & the speaker said that in the wild dogs will eat 3 times a day, if they can get it, & she feeds her dogs twice a day.

You also have to grow a large breed puppy slowly to protect growing bones & joints. I would also think that as an adult to still feed twice a day so he's not getting all his calories in one hit. Does that age me or what?

hmmmm....... well I guess its mid day trips back home for me then hahah.... I just thought he wouldnt need to be fed during the day anymore but thanks for the advise, after that said Ill keep feeding him during the day

Why don't you just feed him before you go to work, when you get home then a small meal before you go to bed.

My pups (working Border Collies) were only getting 3 feeds a day while it was convenient for me to do.

So they had 3 times a day until about 12-14 weeks then dropped to 2 times a day.

Now at nearly 6 months they are on 1 feed per day. If I am on a RDO they may get 2 feeds a day or a snack and sometimes if I am late home from my night shift, they may miss out and just get fed in the am instead. They have grown just fine. You can't necessarily gauge if they need or feed or not by their eagerness to eat it. I have 7 dogs and 6 of them would eat 15 times a day if you offered it to them.Doesn't mean they still need it.

I also think you should keep them a little on the hungry site so that when you want to do a little bit of training, you have that little something left in the tank for food rewards. It also helps build food drive and value if you make them do something for it from early on. I find this help reduce fussy eaters down the track as they see you with food and just get excited about what might be coming.

Edited by dasha

Why don't you just feed him before you go to work, when you get home then a small meal before you go to bed.

My pups (working Border Collies) were only getting 3 feeds a day while it was convenient for me to do.

So they had 3 times a day until about 12-14 weeks then dropped to 2 times a day.

Now at nearly 6 months they are on 1 feed per day. If I am on a RDO they may get 2 feeds a day or a snack and sometimes if I am late home from my night shift, they may miss out and just get fed in the am instead. They have grown just fine. You can't necessarily gauge if they need or feed or not by their eagerness to eat it. I have 7 dogs and 6 of them would eat 15 times a day if you offered it to them.Doesn't mean they still need it.

I also think you should keep them a little on the hungry site so that when you want to do a little bit of training, you have that little something left in the tank for food rewards. It also helps build food drive and value if you make them do something for it from early on. I find this help reduce fussy eaters down the track as they see you with food and just get excited about what might be coming.

Thanks for that.. i was starting to feel like a bad owner by not feeding him 3 times a day :(..... I think that would suit me alot better, feeding him when I get home then again maybe 4 hours later....

Thanks for that.. i was starting to feel like a bad owner by not feeding him 3 times a day :(..... I think that would suit me alot better, feeding him when I get home then again maybe 4 hours later....

Yes this is what my vet told me to do and it makes perfect sense and works fine. One meal in the morning, one as sonn as I get home form work and another just before bed. Everyone is happy!

Guest english.ivy

This is what I did. I never fed my puppies lunch as I was working and couldn't come home, they were both fine.

I still feed twice a day. Pretty much one feed a day but I break it in half. Before I go to work at 6am and then around 5-7pm.

Realistically, they will survive.

2 meals a day is better than one if it can be done.

I love my dogs and will provide what they NEED when its needed. I also give them toys, fun stuff, training and have all the things they want for a good life.

But I also believe that they should fit in with my lifestyle and that sometimes if I am unable to do something, then they miss out. I do not believe in organising my daily life around the dogs. They get fed when I am home, no set times etc, I am a shift worker so meal times vary anywhere from 4:40AM to midnight. I have never had one suffer from this program.

They are adaptable and will fit in with however you bring them up.