National Dog

stone

Just received my e copy of National Dog & was happy/pleased/heartened to read that D.O.L is no longer automatically accepting applications for breeder memberships/litter postings for breeds considered to be exploited.

Prefixes need to have been active for at least two years & dogs have to have been involved in ANKC sanctioned activities at least once in the last three years. Conformation, agility, trialling, obedience etc. before breeder/litter listing applications will be considered.

As DOL is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, litter listing service in Oz, I for one congratulate them for such a positive move.

This sounds like a great move!

To clarify - say I've been showing or doing another ANKC for 2-3 yrs (as an individual) and decide to breed, I register a prefix but only 6 months after registration, I have a litter - I cannot register to be on DOL or advertise any limited reg puppies?

To clarify - say I've been showing or doing another ANKC for 2-3 yrs (as an individual) and decide to breed, I register a prefix but only 6 months after registration, I have a litter - I cannot register to be on DOL or advertise any limited reg puppies?

The breeds listed are

Amstaff

Bernese Mountain Dog

British Bulldog

CKCS

Chihuahua

Dogue De Bordeaux

French Bulldog

Great Dane

Labrador

Poodle -toy & miniature

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

West Highland White.

I assume these are the current popular breed for bucks victims.

As for whether or not other/every breed is subject to the same criterior or whether a regular showie of 3 or more years of the listed breeds recently granted a prefix would be given special considerations?

I have no idea

You would need to approach the management of DOL for an answer to that.

This conversation came up (in another thread) early in the year when the ruling was brought in.

My thoughts at the time were this

There's nothing stopping a new breeder contacting Dogz, explaining their situation (new breeder, they have shown their dogs, mentored by xxx breeder, member of zzz clubs, whatever else they think is relevant) and let the site owners decide. The rules say they are not automatically accepting, says nothing about not accepting full stop.

It is, after all, a privately owned site.

As it turned out, the new breeder questioning the rules was accepted as a breeder member of Dogzonline and placed an ad. :)

It was pretty brave really.Not even the Canine Councils have those kind of restrictions on their members advertising on their own website or journals.

Those requirements are not part of their regs or ethics, not necessary for a member of the ANKC to be considered to be in good standing.

In fact i think if the CCs did this they would be beaten up over restriction of trade and the whole pedigree dogs exposed thing.

With breeder numbers Australia wide down to only 4 and a half thousand and that falling each year for Troy to go that way it demonstrates his ethics

over ride his desire to consider his financial disadvantage by doing so. He can never really expect the breeder advertising side of his business will get better.

Print media including those run by Dog show people with a target market of those involved in showing dont even have those restrictions on advertisers.

Experience tells me it doesnt really matter who you allow to advertise someone will think they suck and its a bigger job taking on sorting out the criteria and ensuring it works the way it was intended than most understand.

The fact that Troy has gone this way demonstrates how dogz has evolved and his desire to try to get it right without compromising. Someone had better nominate him for an award. www.mdbaawards.net.au

It was pretty brave really.Not even the Canine Councils have those kind of restrictions on their members advertising on their own website or journals.

Those requirements are not part of their regs or ethics, not necessary for a member of the ANKC to be considered to be in good standing.

In fact i think if the CCs did this they would be beaten up over restriction of trade and the whole pedigree dogs exposed thing.

With breeder numbers Australia wide down to only 4 and a half thousand and that falling each year for Troy to go that way it demonstrates his ethics

over ride his desire to consider his financial disadvantage by doing so. He can never really expect the breeder advertising side of his business will get better.

Print media including those run by Dog show people with a target market of those involved in showing dont even have those restrictions on advertisers.

Experience tells me it doesnt really matter who you allow to advertise someone will think they suck and its a bigger job taking on sorting out the criteria and ensuring it works the way it was intended than most understand.

The fact that Troy has gone this way demonstrates how dogz has evolved and his desire to try to get it right without compromising. Someone had better nominate him for an award. www.mdbaawards.net.au

:thumbsup:

Another quick question based on the comment about all the blue staffys - I wonder if this could be retrospectively applied as well? (Or if someone can give me the link to the old thread where it might have been discussed - I've tried searching but maybe I'm using the wrong terms)