Breed Suggestions

halfthewords

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The irish terrier tends to be as active as its owner. If I am in a couch potatoe mood, my two either sleep with me, or go off and do their own thing outside. They can go all day - but just as happy chilling out. Once they get over the normal young dog needs activity thing - but I think most dogs go thru that. Not being well this year, there has been very little physical activity for my two - and they are as sane as normal - actually, Duke could even be considered normal, at the moment.

The Irish are very active though, aren't they?

Some can be quite active, but generally they aren't super high activity dogs. I would describe them as having a medium activity level. What the OP can offer (below) would be more than enough for any Irish I have come across, including Mum's first Irish, who was on the active end of the spectrum for an Irish. Most of them love games and chasing the ball.

They are obviously more independant than our Aussie Shepherds and are good at doing their own thing. Ruby uses our whole backyard to potter around in, unlike the Aussies or the muttly, and is quite happy just doing her own thing. They are fantastic with people but their life doesn't revolve around their owners like the working breeds can.

What I can offer:

- 1 hour walks x twice a day

- Agility and obedience three times a week

- Outings (i.e. beach, dog park, friend's places) twice a week

- someone is home most of the time here, if not there are 4 other dogs

- plenty of human and canine interaction; we have a busy family

- mental and physical stimulation

- indoor/outdoor access to a large house and backyard with a swimming pool

- training sessions at least once a day

- lots of love and affection! :D

Ruby is on the mellower end of the spectrum and happy with being included in the family, ball throwing in the back yard, a daily walk and coming to shows. We work/study full time and Ruby is left inside during summer due to snakes, and is a happy, carefree, sweet dog.

They certainly aren't for everyone. You need to be a certain type of person to appreciate a terrier, but if people are prepared for a terrier personality and a dog with medium activity levels, they make amazing family members and are awesome with kids. I grew up with Mum's first Irish, and I don't think I have a childhood memory that doesn't include her in some way. :)

ETA: Dad also grew up with an Irish (she lived until she was 18) and from his stories, she was a big part of his childhood too.

Edited by Lyndsay