Vet Bedding

murmarstaffs

In Victoria a few sell it but I bought mine around 12 months ago from Peperone (advertise on this site) paid $30 per metre. I much prefer the green back version for my needs as I find the rubber wears off even with careful washing.

This is a very timely subject. I'm planning on buying some this week BUT I didn't know which one to get as I didn't know which was best so please people, tell me pros & cons of both types.

We have built a timber whelping box that will be in our bedroom, there is a base that is ply. We have painted with a non-toxic paint to help make it easier to clean but haven't painted the bottom and aren't sure whether or not to. We've always had our rescue dogs in crates with their puppies but of course want it to be different with Marie.

I also got mine from Peperone and also got the green back.

My whelping box has no floor. I brough some cheap lino from bunnings, then would put a layer of newspaper down under the vetbed :thumbsup:

I brough several vet beds so I could rotate them.

I have cut up one of my pieces from the whelping box and use it in my dog crates.

No floor in my whelping box either, just lino and a couple of tarps from the $2 shop. ETA and a heap of newspaper under the vet bed. I used the rubber backed vet bed, also from Peperone, cheap postage Trisven!. I haven't had any of the green back so can't compare. I use my vet bed in the car and as mats in the house as well.

Edited by Rebanne

I wasn't going to do a floor but then read a horror story of the whelping box moving and crushing puppies :laugh: . Shouldn't read so much but thats okay - we've made the whelping box so that we can unscrew it all when we're finished and pack it away until the next litter.

Will paint the bottom of the box tomorrow and I'll probably buy both lots of vet bed so that I can compare lol. How many lots of it do I need - it says that it dries quickly. I'm so excited that I need to buy all this stuff :rofl:

It dries within the day in a UK winter, if just thrown on a clothes horse, so you shouldn't have any problems. I have about 4 pieces available for the whelping box, so a couple can be washed together.

The green back is better as it doesn't shed bits of rubber in the wash. If the weather is warm you can use it upside down with the smooth surface at the top, which is cooler

I got 3 pieces to rotate in the box. This way I awlays had a clean dry bed on hand.

You will get good use out of them when the pups leave. I used one to cut on into small beds to give to the puppy buyers so the pups had something familar in their new home. The second I have cut up and use in my crates. The last one is still whole and I will use it next time.

Why no floor for everyone? Also if you don't have a floor and it is on carpet how do you prevent the carpet being ruined? Our house is tiny so if the whelping box is in the loungeroom or our bedroom it is going to be on carpet. As mentioned before, the house is tiny and our bedroom is also tiny so I don't have the space to put a piece of lino down and the whelping box on top in such a way that there wouldn't be a risk of it slipping off the lino and then possibly ruining the carpet.

ok ive looked at some sites and now i dont know whether to get one for all of the floor or just section some

my box is 1200x1200

My box was 1800 x 1200. I got a vet bed to cover the whole floor. When the pups where more mobile I opened on side of the whelping box and used puppy pen to create a larger area. As the pups got bigger so did the area. It ended up being almost half the room!!

ok ive looked at some sites and now i dont know whether to get one for all of the floor or just section some

my box is 1200x1200

My box was 1800 x 1200. I got a vet bed to cover the whole floor. When the pups where more mobile I opened on side of the whelping box and used puppy pen to create a larger area. As the pups got bigger so did the area. It ended up being almost half the room!!

thats the idea this time as last litter i let them have free range of my kitchen and it was a nightmare so im waiting for my enclosure to be delivered and we will see how things go lol