Looking Dog In The Eyes

Hi all :)

Just a question to see if I'm doing something wrong or not....

I went to obedience with my boy Ripley last night and had a new trainer. Whilst do some basic stays she told us not to look our dogs in the eyes/stare as they will feel threatened and not want to stay. She said to pick a spot just over the top of their heads to focus on. I understand the whole feeling uneasy with looking in the eyes thing but I have actually trained my boy to look into my eyes as a focus exercise for him. He's only just 6 months old and it has worked well him to do this but now I'm wondering if I should stop it at some point as he gets older? If I stop it how do I get him to focus on me without direct eye contact as he is a very excitable and never focused well until I taught him this. Thanks :)

I'm no expert trainer but I have always taught my dog to maintain eye contact when I say focus and I have been instructed to do so by all of my training clubs. My dog did it naturally and I just added a command. Others will hopefully be able to tell you more but my dog and I now spend a lot of our training looking into each others eyes.

I get this question lots. I have never noticed a difference in how good a stay is based on looking in the eyes. I would just do what feels comfortable for you and what you think is right for your dog (as this exercise can be really nerve wrecking). It's the training and proofing that are important for this skill. Individually work on.....

distance: length you will be asked to step away

time: time you will be gone for

distractions: add distractions last and go slow

Then put them all together. Be prepared for it to take several weeks to get a basic stay. Months for more advanced stay.

Here is a good run down of how to develop a bomb proof stay

stay:doglifetraining

Good luck.

I've had a trainer tell me the same thing. We were doing a training to be tethered away from us exercise, and the instructor told us to look over our dogs' heads, not directly at them. I thought it was ridiculous then, and I still think it's ridiculous now. My dogs are encouraged to make eye contact, they stare at me when they want something because it's a highly reinforced behaviour. They don't care if I make eye contact with them. It's just a training thing.

Many years ago when I was training my 1st border collie the 'traditional' way she would move if I was looking at her in a stay & as you I was told to look over her head or to the side. She was more comfortable with this. My club changed over to positive, lure - reward training in 2000 which teaches 'look/watch' & have the dog to look into our eyes, not to stare at them but to look at them with smiley eyes. They soon get used to this with us, after all we are their care givers & they should feel comfortable with us looking into their eyes, not to say that staring is still not a threat from strangers & dogs.

I think it depends on the way you're looking at them.

If you're glaring at them really tensely, it is bound to put them off a little.

Simply maintaining eye contact should be fine, but you should probably also practice looking away and walking away, jumping up an down like an idiot :D during stays as you'll eventually need to do out of sight stays etc

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

The way our new training was talking (she had notice me looking at Ripley) it felt like what I was doing was wrong. Ripley gives no indication that he has an issue with looking me in the eyes and I also find that if I am wanting focus and don't look him in the eyes he's more likely to look around to see what I'm looking at like he thinks I want him to go to or focus on that "spot" instead of doing as asked.

I only do only use loving mummy eyes with him :love: as I'm so proud of how well he does at obedience for a young SBT and so willing to please :happydance:

When my old boy was fighting for his life and the damage to his brain made one eye go wonky and he couldn't turn his body around, he put an enormous effort into lifting his head so that he could look me in the eye with his good eye.

oh thats old fashioned pish posh. If you march up to someones dog and stare them straight in the eyes and try staring them down, well there's a chance you will make them feel uncomfortable. All my dogs and my clients dogs look them in the eyes, in fact we work on it. Many go from nervous to happy and relaxed when they have eye contact from their handlers as they're getting quality feedback and some bonding with the dog.