Makeshift Doggy Diaper/nappy Thingameebob

HugUrPup

I think its actually best for their dignity at times

What the? Since when did dogs have a concept of dignity?

Goodluck with Miley's vet appt today. If she really is peeing as much as your posts indicate I hope there isnt a more serious problem HUP

Edited by raz

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Goodluck with Miley's vet appt today. If she really is peeing as much as your posts indicate I hope there isnt a more serious problem HUP

About the same time they became hormonally emotionalconfused.gif

The comment which upset me the most was that I was being cruel.

Perhaps cruel was a bit harsh of a word and for that I apologise and swap it to perhaps... ignorant, in this instance. Your dog is not incontient, she has behavioural issues. In this instance I think it is um..., narrow minded to expect that your dog will be happy to urinate in underwear that will stick to her fur. Dogs are clean in this regard and to force her to wee pretty much on herself could only exacerbate her issues. Will you be inclined to cuddle her more after she is smelling of urine? It is understandle when owners have their genuinely incontinent dogs in nappies as a last resort when there are no other options. You have options.

I really don't wish to hurt your feelings but over the years you have posted many threads which have had many DOL'ers frustrated and you just don't ever listen. So for newbies who don't know your history it looks as though some of us are overreacting when instead it's simply frustration that 'problem animals' seems to be a cycle, and advice falls on deaf ears. If you simply followed a lot of the advice and offers of help, your life would be a lot less complicated and less stress upon yourself. I feel for you that you are having troubles at the moment and with so many kids to care for, plus one on the way, I understand that your own energy resources have been sapped. I hope you take this in the way it is intended, as I really only hope that you can get to the bottom of what is troubling your dog. :)

I didn't end up using the nappies last night Clyde.. advice isn't falling on deaf ears and never has. Just because I choose not to take ones advise sometimes doesn't mean I don't read it and consider it.

I was advised to take her to the vet to rule out infection.. appointment has been made (actually just changed to 1:15 tomorrow because the vet I wanted to see is sick). I was also advised that nappies may not be a good idea, so I tried without. I was also advised to use a lead inside.. which is so simple but I totally didn't think of it.. she is now inside next to me with a lead on.

I'm not exactly sure what threads your are referring to, where advise fell on deaf ears? :confused:

For 2 years a tried every bit of advise and opinions given to me in regards to Ollie (the pug) and then in the end re-homed him. Some people were for it some were against. I guess if you were against me re-homing, it may have frustrated you.. not sure why now re-homing is fine now though :confused:

In any thread, there will be some people who support my decisions and some who don't. It doesn't mean I am ignorant.

Edited by HugUrPup

Fair enough. Good to hear!

FWIW I actually supported you in rehoming the Pug. You probably don't remember but I also offered to mind him to give you a break in case you just needed some space from him.

:) well there you go.

I also didn't end up getting that long haired cat my daughter begged me for.. because I was advised against it.. because of my sons allergies ;)

Don't stress out about Miley :) we will get there.

I'm going to get the vet to take the sample. He also has rad clippers, so he can get some of her knots off too lol

last time I tried with scissors we ended up with an emergency vet visit to sew her up :o

After what dogmad said, I wonder if he will do other tests for brain tumours and things :/

Ok just got a bought of paranoia.. off to take Miley out for a pee :laugh:

Guest donatella

lovely book

Dogs Never Lie About Love: Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=O7H0RVAR2kEC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Dogs+Never+Lie+About+Love:+Reflections+on+the+Emotional+World+of+Dogs&hl=en&ei=YZTBTve2LcuOmQWU3c3MBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Chapter 9: Dignity, humiliation and disappointment

:D

Maybe you could email the author to ask him if you should be worried that your dog will look in the mirror and freak out about her recent haircut? :D

Great news about the lead inside but not sure why you're loling about the knots your dog has. Surely a brush a day for 5 minutes will give you some rebonding time

Guest donatella

Maybe you could email the author to ask him if you should be worried that your dog will look in the mirror and freak out about her recent haircut? :D

Great news about the lead inside but not sure why you're loling about the knots your dog has. Surely a brush a day for 5 minutes will give you some rebonding time

didn't you see the photo i posted of her that night lying on my bed looking depressed :laugh:

actually in a week her hair has grown heaps, we're both happy this side, she can look in the mirror again with dignity :rofl:

didn't you see the photo i posted of her that night lying on my bed looking depressed :laugh:

:rofl: I did see that. It was actually very cute. I remember thinking I'd be depressed if I had to sleep on pink as well :rofl:

Guest donatella

:rofl: I did see that. It was actually very cute. I remember thinking I'd be depressed if I had to sleep on pink as well :rofl:

She doesn't sleep on my bed, at her own choice (she has access to it all night but chooses to sleep in the lounge, perhaps that's why :noidea:

Thanks everyone - this is a really helpful thread. Very occasionally, my dementing old boy Mac seems to leave a trail of urine across the floor - its very infrequent at this point so at the moment I just get the mop and wipe it up. (And God bless wood floors!)

But as his dementia progresses, I suspect that this dribbling incontinence will become more frequent. (He's only wee'd on my bed once and that was months ago).

Even so I have bought a couple of fake sheep skin larger cat beds from a brilliant ebay supplier in NZ. Link here. She was really helpful and scouted around to get me a slightly bigger one - and the postage was really cheap!.

These beds are ideal for putting on a bed as they aren't too bulky, Mac seems to love the feel of it and they wash like rags. I bought two of them so when one is in the a wash I have another spare. So he still sleeps on my bed and loves his cat bed! :)

If/when his incontinence gets worse, I plan to get a 'kylie' or two (blue blankets used for people with continence probs in aged care), to put on top of his bed and something waterproof to put underneath between his bed and my bed and then see how we go.

If that then becomes too problematic I'll then try the doggie nappies overnight.

So for me there is a 'progression' of management here - and hopefully we never get to the nappie stage...

Let us know how the vet visit goes HUP. My GSD had incontinence issues and after diagnosis she was prescribed stilboestrol, luckily she only needed small doses and she was fine but as others have said ruling out medical issues is the best first step :)

For Raz

post-23033-0-26008400-1321316101_thumb.jpg

Fair enough. Good to hear!

FWIW I actually supported you in rehoming the Pug. You probably don't remember but I also offered to mind him to give you a break in case you just needed some space from him.

I'd support her rehoming the dogs as well ....

Thanks everyone - this is a really helpful thread. Very occasionally, my dementing old boy Mac seems to leave a trail of urine across the floor - its very infrequent at this point so at the moment I just get the mop and wipe it up. (And God bless wood floors!)

But as his dementia progresses, I suspect that this dribbling incontinence will become more frequent. (He's only wee'd on my bed once and that was months ago).

Even so I have bought a couple of fake sheep skin larger cat beds from a brilliant ebay supplier in NZ. Link here. She was really helpful and scouted around to get me a slightly bigger one - and the postage was really cheap!.

These beds are ideal for putting on a bed as they aren't too bulky, Mac seems to love the feel of it and they wash like rags. I bought two of them so when one is in the a wash I have another spare. So he still sleeps on my bed and loves his cat bed! :)

If/when his incontinence gets worse, I plan to get a 'kylie' or two (blue blankets used for people with continence probs in aged care), to put on top of his bed and something waterproof to put underneath between his bed and my bed and then see how we go.

If that then becomes too problematic I'll then try the doggie nappies overnight.

So for me there is a 'progression' of management here - and hopefully we never get to the nappie stage...

You coud try pieces of vet bedding over the top. If you need some give me a shout because I have heaps and heaps from when my ridgy broke her leg and could not walk :( I could send you some if you like

Let us know how the vet visit goes HUP. My GSD had incontinence issues and after diagnosis she was prescribed stilboestrol, luckily she only needed small doses and she was fine but as others have said ruling out medical issues is the best first step :)

For Raz

post-23033-0-26008400-1321316101_thumb.jpg

I often wonder whether that drug contributed to Tina having brittle bones. I thought I had read somewhere that it *might* cause calcium issues. It would certainly explain how both back legs shattered like they did :cry: :cry:

You coud try pieces of vet bedding over the top. If you need some give me a shout because I have heaps and heaps from when my ridgy broke her leg and could not walk :( I could send you some if you like

Winterpaws that would be terrific - thank you so much - will pm you. :)