Makeshift Doggy Diaper/nappy Thingameebob

HugUrPup

I couldn't get her into the vet until tomorrow. I don't see how it's cruel.. she doesn't mind being dressed up in clothes, so how is a nappy going to upset her? As far as her fur getting wet, she lays in her wet crate and it gets on her fur anyway.. what's the difference? I am only planning to use them short term. Hopefully they stay dry for the hour on my bed at night and after 3 days, I won't bother with them anymore. The thought of her peeing in my bed is unbearable.. I don't want to risk it and I don't know if she is suffering physiological incontinence or emotional yet, so I'm not taking the chance.

If she is in her crate she can move around, but with the diaper she can't escape the moisture, it will be just staying in one spot. As they are not made for dogs they may not absorb as well as they would for babies. Though if you are just going to do it for an hour hopefully that will be ok. It would be better though getting nappies specially made for dogs though. jmo

though that is a good point about the insides going everywhere if you put a hole in them. You'd want to be careful your dog doesn't try and eat it

Donatella, unless I am mistaken, dog nappies are usually only used when a dog is in heat. Baby nappies are specially designed for babies, not dogs who obviously have a different body structure and possibly different pH

Edited by Cat

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If nappies were so dangerous for dogs why are there specifically designed doggy diapers?

And why do many use them for elderly dogs? or dogs in season?

Also if nappies were so dangerous why are newborns even allowed in them?

:confused:

I don't think anyone used the word "dangerous", My understanding of millbrook's point was that cutting up regular (baby) nappies may present some issues.

HugUrPup, if you are planning on using the nappies regularly on Miley, it might pay to invest in some doggy nappies, at least that way you know they are designed for dogs and will hopefully do the job :).

Guest donatella

If nappies were so dangerous for dogs why are there specifically designed doggy diapers?

:confused:

I don't think anyone used the word "dangerous", My understanding of millbrook's point was that cutting up regular (baby) nappies may present some issues.

HugUrPup, if you are planning on using the nappies regularly on Miley, it might pay to invest in some doggy nappies, at least that way you know they are designed for dogs and will hopefully do the job :).

absolutely dog nappies would be much better, but for an hour a day, it can't hurt to trial babies ones seeing as she posted this late in the afternoon and its all could access.

you don't know until you try, its not like she's wearing them all day.

Seriously you must be taking the piss? Have you cut a disposable nappy and seen the liquid absorbing gel? Dog ones are made specifically for dogs, they don't have to have holes cut in them

absolutely dog nappies would be much better, but for an hour a day, it can't hurt to trial babies ones seeing as she posted this late in the afternoon and its all could access.

Yep, they will be fine to trial, HugUrPup will soon see if they work or not, I was just a bit confused donatella why you started using words like dangerous re nappies when no one had said they were dangerous :confused:.

Looking forward to hearing from HugUrPup how the nappies and Mum and Miley time went :).

Guest donatella

Seriously you must be taking the piss? Have you cut a disposable nappy and seen the liquid absorbing gel? Dog ones are made specifically for dogs, they don't have to have holes cut in them

you don't think it hasn't been done before?

please see link below, clearly worked for someone :rofl:

http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/2008/04/catdogdiaper.html

Edited by donatella

My old girl regularly wore nappies for poo and pee probs. I bought toddler sized nappies for her (she was an SBT) and since she had a large tumour on her tail I folded the nappies in thirds and cut a large cross for her tail. I then put nappy on over her tail first and then stuck the sticky tabs down. We rarely lost a nappy and you could always tell when it was full - it would sag!

I actually bought some of those PUL covers from Cheeky Butts and was going to overlock a hole and add pads to them but never got around to it.

I can tell you that she got used to the nappies, never pulled them off, never seemed uncomfortable sleeping and without them she would've been either put outside or pts. You do what you have to do no matter how odd or cruel it sounds to some. She couldn't help it if old age was confusing her toileting habits.

Guest donatella

Yep, they will be fine to trial, HugUrPup will soon see if they work or not, I was just a bit confused donatella why you started using words like dangerous re nappies when no one had said they were dangerous :confused:.

Looking forward to hearing from HugUrPup how the nappies and Mum and Miley time went :).

:)

Edited by donatella

here you go HUP, a video link on how to convert a baby nappy into a dog nappy

Yes I forgot Google is the most accurate tool ever, I should have consulted the Google Gods before I made the mistake of doing it for a really sick joey once and having lots of crap fall everywhere. I also had my sonrip a used one out of my hands and have the gel fall out umm this was this morning so I know what disposable nappies do.

Has the dog been to a vet? It's not an old dog and shouldn't have a peeing problem at this stage.

Dogmad, OP said this earlier ;)

I couldn't get her into the vet until tomorrow. I don't see how it's cruel.. she doesn't mind being dressed up in clothes, so how is a nappy going to upset her? As far as her fur getting wet, she lays in her wet crate and it gets on her fur anyway.. what's the difference? I am only planning to use them short term. Hopefully they stay dry for the hour on my bed at night and after 3 days, I won't bother with them anymore. The thought of her peeing in my bed is unbearable.. I don't want to risk it and I don't know if she is suffering physiological incontinence or emotional yet, so I'm not taking the chance.

Guest donatella

I don't think its cruel, I think its actually best for their dignity at times, I will be doing it when mine gets old and has incontinence troubles

Edited by donatella

Guest donatella

here you go HUP, a video link on how to convert a baby nappy into a dog nappy

Yes I forgot Google is the most accurate tool ever, I should have consulted the Google Gods before I made the mistake of doing it for a really sick joey once and having lots of crap fall everywhere. I also had my sonrip a used one out of my hands and have the gel fall out umm this was this morning so I know what disposable nappies do.

Or you could refer to puppy sniffers post whereby they used toddlers nappies for an incontinent elderley dog. you don't say ;)

I have used heavy flow incontinence pads in a pair of "bitches britches" for an incontinent dog before and they have worked fine.The dog was a dally so bigger than a cav but maybe try a slightly lower flow pad I imagine with a dog who is weeing purposely that you would just need to change the pad when it was full.

Guest donatella

wow, Donatella, you've developed quite the attitude. Next time people have concerns which could prove problematic they should maybe keep it to themselves damn the consequences.

The OP has gone out to buy nappies to put on her dog so she can have some time with her dog without the wee issues (and her own issues with the dog bothering her). Regardless of my attitude I think this is a wonderful idea that she is spending time with the dog and I think its awful that some would try and convince her otherwise. Its not for a long time, its just for an hour or so at night.

You can call it attitude, I call it passion to the cause. :D

I am usually really supportive of people on this forum but to be quite honest Donatella you have the worst attitude that I have seen in a long time and it is no wonder people take jibes at your comments, you seem to have a habit of turning other peoples threads into bitch fights. You are entitled to your numerous, often stated opinions as everyone else entitled to offer advice.