terrace

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest english.ivy

Or just leave it and let the dog clean it.

If my dog has a sore, I clean it with warm salty water and let the dog take care if it. Keep making sure it doesn't need vet attention and they always heal up fine and dandy. Then the hair grows back.

Paw Paw ointment is also great for cuts and wont harm them if licked off. A little goes a long way. Some supermarkets carry it in the same section you would find panadol, otherwise the pharmacy should have it. It comes in a red tub or tube. We always have some on standby here.

Paw Paw ointment is also great for cuts and wont harm them if licked off. A little goes a long way. Some supermarkets carry it in the same section you would find panadol, otherwise the pharmacy should have it. It comes in a red tub or tube. We always have some on standby here.

Thank you all. :D

Guest donatella

nothing beats good old salty water! i'm a nurse to humans in a ward that often has big big wounds and its still our cleanser of choice, good old saline (salty water), we don't use any creams other then the occasional betadine or chlorhexidine if its infected.

salty water rinse a few times a day you should see fast results on healing :heart:

nothing beats good old salty water! i'm a nurse to humans in a ward that often has big big wounds and its still our cleanser of choice, good old saline (salty water), we don't use any creams other then the occasional betadine or chlorhexidine if its infected.

salty water rinse a few times a day you should see fast results on healing :heart:

Good, we`ll give it a go. How much salt in the water please? :D

Guest donatella

Good, we`ll give it a go. How much salt in the water please? :D

We get our saline premade here in bottles already, but I'd say get a cup or mug of warm water to a tablespoon of salt. Mix it up and pour it over the wound. For humans with our salt water dressings we try to do 3-4 times per day so if you aim for at least twice a day you should see results.

Normal saline is 0.9% so 9gms salt to a litre of water. I use a teaspoon of salt to a litre of warm water. Boil the water first. Too high a concentration on an open wound could be damaging.

ETA you can buy bottles of sterile saline solution from most chemists

Edited by Janba

Guest donatella

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4898741_treating-wounds-salt-water.htm

Why Salt Water?

Salt water has long been considered a natural antiseptic and helps clean and sterilize open wounds. Although the famous expression "putting salt in the wound" has a negative connotation because salt tends to sting when placed in an open sore or cut, salt is beneficial in the long run. Because salt tends to be abrasive, it is best that you dilute it in a water solution. Salt water is most effective when 1 Tbsp. of salt is added to 1 cup of warm water. Stir the salt into the water until it dissolves, and then soak your wounds in it. Although salt-water treatment is not ideal as the primary treatment for all wounds, it is an excellent initial treatment to disinfect a wound.

Read more: Treating Wounds With Salt Water | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4898741_treating-wounds-salt-water.html#ixzz1da0O2sdj

I'm not too sure you can over salt a wound, but if you've got a litre bottle then might pay to make up a litre as said above with a teaspoon of salt.

Also there have been numerous studies between sterile water and tap water and they are inconclusive that sterile water is actually better then tap water. I am more then happy for a patient to wash their wound down in the shower, in fact we make them as its one of the best natural cleansers.

Edited by donatella

do not pour salty water onto a wound like Donatella says. I don't care what the reference says, it is way too strong a mixture. I too am a nurse and human skin is actually tougher then dog skin and you wouldn't use such a strong solution on the vast majority of patients so why torture your dog?

Guest donatella

Rebanne I work in a Plastics (deep wounds, skin grafts, pressure areas etc) and we use Saline packs 4 times per day on a new wound that needs to be cleaned up and debrided. Are you referring to Saline or Salty water?

do not pour salty water onto a wound like Donatella says. I don't care what the reference says, it is way too strong a mixture. I too am a nurse and human skin is actually tougher then dog skin and you wouldn't use such a strong solution on the vast majority of patients so why torture your dog?

What about sea salt? :rofl: Chicken salt? :rofl:

Rebanne I work in a Plastics (deep wounds, skin grafts, pressure areas etc) and we use Saline packs 4 times per day on a new wound that needs to be cleaned up and debrided. Are you referring to Saline or Salty water?

I am referring to you saying use a tablespoon of salt to a cup of water on a dog while you only use saline on a person. You need to be more careful giving out incorrect advice on forums.

Guest donatella

I'm sure we have stories at home where we made up a salty mix and poured it over our wounds.

Minimiss above says she made up a salty mix to taste that worked well. I've never heard of over salting a wound. But again, i'm open to learning and standing corrected (provided with correct links, articles, studies, something to back a claim). Educate me ;)

My mums Maltese recently had sore, red, gungy eyes, she made up her own salty solution and rinsed his eyes out and waalahh, new clean uninfected eyes. All from salty tap home made water ;)