Learning Tracking

megan_

I'm trying to find more things to do with the dogs, especially things I can do in the confines of my property. I thought I'd start teaching them to track (just for fun, not for competition). However I have absolutely no idea what this involves. Is there anywhere I can learn how to do this in Melbourne?

I think the K9 Company do tracking workshops? They are in Eltham though. If you want things to do around the house, substance detection with a particular hidden scent would probably be easier to do more regularly than actual tracking. Stu can teach you that if you like, he used to work with explosives detection dogs.

I'm trying to find more things to do with the dogs, especially things I can do in the confines of my property. I thought I'd start teaching them to track (just for fun, not for competition). However I have absolutely no idea what this involves. Is there anywhere I can learn how to do this in Melbourne?

Much easier to do tracking with someone else then you can take turns laying tracks for each other.

You can join the TCV and do a workshop or just join a group of people already practicing it. Tracking is usually done in the cooler months - saves snake encounters and is easier on the dogs.

Tried to PM you but for some reason it didn't work......

Edited by RubyBlue

I'm very interested in getting involved in tracking too - my last attempt several years ago was a disaster though, and it really put me off. Will keep an eye out for the beginner workshop next year.

If there is a way for a handler to screw up I'll find it!