Oh No! I've Been Lulled Into A False Sense Of Security

Simply Grand

I let my younger cat jump up on the table to escape the dogs as he's pathetic at fighting them off when they jump all over him. He's up there now and I was just adjusting his collar when suddenly Riley was up there sticking his pointy nose in. I pushed him away... then it registered that he was up on the table :eek: Cheeky monkey, he jumped on a chair then up to the table to see what was happening.

Saxon can make it onto the bed and the couch but not much else. I think it's in his head because he couldn't do it when he was a puppy as he was so small and he actually could get over the small baby gate and onto other things now - he's jumped into the car when he's excited but normally waits to be lifted in as he thinks he can't do it.

Seems Riley doesn't have the same mental block!

Edited by Saxonpup

Yes, my nearly fully grown dobe hasn't jumped our low fence between backyard and front :crossfingers: or learnt to jump up into the ute, he just does a fairly graceless scramble in. I think like with your dog, he hasn't worked out that he is quite big enough to jump these things.

My last dog was a fantastic high jumper which we encouraged, but learnt our lesson when she scaled any six foot fence we put her behind, so I'm happy to have a big tough dobe that needs to be lifted into the car :laugh:

One of my shelties has learnt how to open the baby gate and thinks it is great game to let himself and his granddaughter through to the rest of the house. Cheeky buggers - they then have zoomies round the lounge room and down the hall :laugh:

Guest donatella

I came home from work the other day to a surprise Lucy who had fallen asleep on our dining room table. I've since moved the couch away from the table so she can't jump from one to the other as i'm convinced thats how she made the leap.

The pick it up all too quick...until someone breaks a leg!

An evil beagle taught my dog how to jump up on the beagle's home's picnic table - argh.

They both started using it as part of the doggy obstacle course in their games of chase-me.

Evil hound has transfered that info to all outdoor brown wooden tables. Especially ones that smell like years of BBQ.

She has not figured out / tried - to jump on the kitchen counters - though there's not much stopping her really. I do occasionally line the edges of the kitchen counter with pecariously stacked emtpy tin cans...

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Is Lucy your little Pom? If she got on the dining table when Saxon can't he should be embarrassed!

When I'm out they are both restricted by the Bunnings compost cage things which they don't seem to be able to jump. I'll see how they go, if it becomes a problem I do have the option to install doors in certain areas but I suspect they won't be needed. If I get a larger dog in this house may be needed, but quite possible.

This happens to cats too :laugh: We used to have a baby gate on our hallway, so the dog couldn't get into the bedrooms and we could leave the doors open. But for a whole year my oldest cat never jumped the gate, because she thought she couldn't, then one day she did it, and she did it every time after that :confused:

Yes animals have a weird way of thinking sometimes.

Lynn

Guest donatella

Is Lucy your little Pom? If she got on the dining table when Saxon can't he should be embarrassed!

When I'm out they are both restricted by the Bunnings compost cage things which they don't seem to be able to jump. I'll see how they go, if it becomes a problem I do have the option to install doors in certain areas but I suspect they won't be needed. If I get a larger dog in this house may be needed, but quite possible.

Yeah Lucy's the Pom. She got onto the couch and the couch backed really close to the dining table so I think she got onto the back of the couch and just had to step onto the table. Since i've moved them further apart there hasn't been any dining table siesta's :laugh:

One of my shelties has learnt how to open the baby gate and thinks it is great game to let himself and his granddaughter through to the rest of the house. Cheeky buggers - they then have zoomies round the lounge room and down the hall :laugh:

:laugh: Naughty!! Great visual though, sheltie zoomies would be adorable!