How Early Is Too Early To Start Contacting Breeders About Pups?

aussielover

I'm looking to get another dog in the next 2-3 years.

Hopefully, by this time I will be more settled and my current dog will be at "maintenance" training level so I'll have more time to focus on puppy training (currently just starting out in agility).

I have heard some performance/working kennels have up to a 2 year waiting list :eek: and although I have not yet decided on a particular breeder, I do have some in mind, although I am also considering adopting from rescue or the pound.

Is it rude/annoying to contact them up to 2 years before you're ready for a puppy? Should I only contact ones that I know have a long waiting list and even then, is it rude to do this before fully deciding on whether you're going to get a pup from this breeder at all (if they think you're suitable!).

My thoughts are it's never too early - especially if you are upfront about your plans and why you are contacting them early (ie. you want one of their dogs but just not yet).

Not that I'm a breeder but I think that I would appreciate people being upfront about not wanting one now but they do want one later! I'm sure there are some that may not like it though. I see no harm in putting feelers out!

I contacted several breeders years before I intended to get a puppy. My main interest was in learning about the different lines.

I made it clear that I was after information more than anything at that point as I wasn't going to get a puppy whilst my old dog was still alive. My main goal was to find out which breeders had the sort of dogs I was after and was also interested in seeing what they were like as people.

I basically created a shortlist of people I would be happy to go to if they had a litter on the ground when I was eventually ready.

I don't think it caused any harm and would be interested to hear from breeders on here what they think about that.

I wouldn't really contact until I was definitely ready to put my name on the list, and I would expect to have to give 12 months notice. So about 12 months prior I would start emailing.

I guess you could email and ask what their wait time is or when they plan to have litters.

I'd say within the year you're looking at purchasing too. Though, depending on the breed / breeder and if there is a fairly lengthy waiting list.

Wouldn't hurt to email asking for information though, just to confirm bloodlines and other information that will help you shortlist breeders. :)

It depends on how many litters a year the breeders have. If they average 3-4 litters or more per year then you wouldn't need to contact them until the year you want a puppy but if like many show breeders, they only breed one litter every 3 years or so , then get in early and let them know you may be interested when they have their next litter.

I'd contact for a general information chat, to make sure the breed/breed lines are producing the type of dog you are wanting and ask about their waiting list.

I'm on a list for a litter planned for 2013, in the meantime I get to see how the breeders recent litter develop both as show and working dogs as the litter I am looking to buy from will be very similar breeding. The litter was planned originally for 2012 but the breeder decided to see how the current litter does and wants to progress further with the training of the dam over the next year. So it pays to be flexible over the time you are willing to wait.

If you are looking at Coolies, be very careful, as there are some out there that have used dogs from pounds ( of unknown origin ) in their breeding programs.

Coolies or Koolies ? Using dogs from pounds isnt that uncommon in breeds where they still have open stud books - theoretically you would be able to do that with any breed in the UK too where dogs only have to pass a photo ID to be allowed into the registry

If you are looking at Coolies, be very careful, as there are some out there that have used dogs from pounds ( of unknown origin ) in their breeding programs.

Coolies or Koolies ? Using dogs from pounds isnt that uncommon in breeds where they still have open stud books - theoretically you would be able to do that with any breed in the UK too where dogs only have to pass a photo ID to be allowed into the registry

Well the "Coolie" folk weren't doing it but the "Koolie" folk certainly were. Not just a dog of unknown origin but a "rescue" to boot. I would have said the bitch was more likely a Kelpie than a Koolie but each to their own , if they are desperate enough to decieve themselves and others.

Well the "Coolie" folk weren't doing it but the "Koolie" folk certainly were. Not just a dog of unknown origin but a "rescue" to boot. I would have said the bitch was more likely a Kelpie than a Koolie but each to their own , if they are desperate enough to decieve themselves and others.

Hard to follow isnt it?

Hard to follow isnt it?

No not really LOL

If I was buying a "Coolie" I'd be looking for a "Coolie " breeder