Witching Hour

noahdabear

Hi , does anyone elses dog have witching hour ?

Tiras the 12 weeks rotty has witching hour from 6pm till 7pm every night .

I think we have it sussed , he gets heaps of exercise but during this hour goes mental and bites everyone and everything , terrorises us and the other 2 dogs .

I have started taking him for an extra walk ,fast around the block just when he starts to arch up .

Does anyone else have any good ideas ?

yep .. maybe instead of one little obedience session each day .. he has two ..just 5 minutes .. but mental exercise is very tiring! :)

also .. as that time approaches .. pull out a special toy ..a soccer ball, or juice bottle with a few bits of kibble inside ... or a cardboard carton .. something he can kick around .

If he learns that when he gets excited you will take him for a walk...then heaven help you!! :p (and he probably has already learnt it :o

ours is between 5.30 and 7pm. Absolutely nutty. Tried walking him then, didn't really help, he still enjoys doing zoomies around the house and the backyard then regardless - plus it's pretty cute. We've stopped the mouthing that seemed to go with it a few weeks back, so now he just tears around letting us know just how awesome life is! :laugh:

Guest donatella

ha ha we call it Happy Hour in this house, but probably because my dog weighs 3kgs and is pretty harmless in terms of biting she just goes a bit mental until she tires out, i find it cute.

i just play with her, throw toys and wear her out double as quick

We have it around 5.30pm also. We have a 12 week white (pied) staffy. We call her the white rabbit when she decides its time to go mental and dart around the house, ears pinned back, sliding on the tiles with a big grin form ear to ear. Its like she has a private "stash" somewhere?

Yep - not really biting though just crazy hyponess and zoomies, I try to channel it into training while she's enthusiastic :laugh: Or I just give in and play with her in the back yard. I blame it on my routine though (work all day - dogs sleep, get home go to training or play or walk) it's inbuilt! ETA but mine is no longer a puppy, she's 2.5 years old :laugh:

Edited by amypie

Ours is around 6-7pm also ... i think i read somewhere dogs are most active at sunrise and sunset so that may explain it?

Sunrise is way too early for us, or Arby as he's usually snoozing on our bed with us :D

Mine are put outside when they go silly and run their maddness off out there.

It's usually just zoomies though, biting is not tollerated in this house and they would be put in a time out to calm them down if they did that.

Mine are put outside when they go silly and run their maddness off out there.

It's usually just zoomies though, biting is not tollerated in this house and they would be put in a time out to calm them down if they did that.

Not meaning to derail the thread, but how do you enforce this.

Seperating the dogs if they are mouthing?

yep we have tried 3 1/2 hour walks a day , everything he seems to be a bit better but need to get out of this mouthing .

yeah cute when they are little , Tiras is already 13 kgs . scary

I would not be walking a 12 w/o puppy 3 1/2 hours a day, VERY BAD for those young growing bones & joints especially in a large breed puppy. As stated much more beneficial to exercise the brain. I recently went to a 4 day conference on dog training & 1 of the speakers said that just plain walking does nothing to exercise the dog, much better to take a casual stroll & let it sniff around (read it's newspaper) & learn what's going on in it's world.

My puppy also has zoomy time & hares around the backyard like a lunatic much to the disgust of the older dogs. :laugh: