Best Collar For Dog With Sensitive Skin?

tiff-689

I noticed over the weekend when i went to wash the dogs, that Abbie has quite a lot of hair loss on the underside of her neck, right where her collar sits. I keep her collar on 24/7. I know it's not recommended but it's peace of mind for me if she were to ever get out. Her current collar is 1.5cm wide leather.

So i would basically just like to know what is best for a dog with sensitivity issues? I thought leather would be a better bet than nylon but her nylon harness i use when walking also causes a bit of redness on her so any ideas would be great :)

Does she get wet often? Sometimes the thicker part where hangs the tag/buckles etc, if damp can be irritating to skin folds under the neck .

No, she's not a water baby at all. Her current collar is a cheapy ebay thing so it might not even be real leather for all i know.

Guest lavendergirl

Is it possible to let her have a break from the collar for a while each day - or at night? You may be better with a collar made from a natural fabric that absorbs sweat - I don't think the leather would be the best choice for that.

Get a saddler to make you a really soft narrow bridle leather collar with the smallest buckle you can get away with. Then make sure you keep it clean and soft with saddle soap and leather dressing. If she is inside at night then take it off at night. I imagine just about anything would rub on the fine coat of a Pointer.

The buckle on the collar is metal. She is all ready microchipped, i just like having it on her for peace of mind when i'm not home. If she were to get out, the collar would be the first point of identification. I can and will definitely start taking it off her over night and when i get home in the afternoon to see if that makes a difference.

Guest lavendergirl

dogs don't sweat all over their skin like we do .. only their feet ....and plain leather, being natural , is reasonably absorbent, while imitation leather isn't at all.

yes I remembered that after I posted - knew it would not take long for someone to point it out :)

I just bought a hemp collar to try from Etsy.com.

It's supposed to be bacteria inhibiting- to a certain extent - and dry quickly. It seems to be really soft and apparently it gets softer with wear.

The lady I used makes them with metal snaps but I asked for plastic. :)

Does it make a difference to the skin?