Puppies With Loose Stools...

dog geek

Started with one puppy, three days ago: runny poo leading to scalding and a sore bum.

Now all of them seem to have it - they have been receiving fortnightly worming with first Drontal syrup, then broad spectrum wormer...

They are on Black Hawk kibble, with mince smoothies and chicken wings daily.

Did read back through the forum headings back a couple of year's worth to see if I could find any old threads, but no luck.

Anyone with advice? Haven't had yoghurt for a week or two, would that fix it? Or probiotics?

Or am I needing antibiotics?

TIA

:)

Guest Doglady0419

Started with one puppy, three days ago: runny poo leading to scalding and a sore bum.

Now all of them seem to have it - they have been receiving fortnightly worming with first Drontal syrup, then broad spectrum wormer...

They are on Black Hawk kibble, with mince smoothies and chicken wings daily.

Did read back through the forum headings back a couple of year's worth to see if I could find any old threads, but no luck.

Anyone with advice? Haven't had yoghurt for a week or two, would that fix it? Or probiotics?

Or am I needing antibiotics?

TIA

:)

What would you do if you had the runs and a sore bum?

You haven't mentioned how old the pups are?

Before the first showed signs of the runs, what was their diet?

The longer they have the runs they will get dehydrated.

Could very well be that the weaning process is too soon for them. Maybe they can't handle the variety!

Actually, I should be more concise - not watery stools, more that they are softer than they have been. And sticky, hence the scalded bottom.

Weaned from their dam on Monday, eight and a half weeks old today.

Been on mince "shakes" since three weeks old, and frozen chicken wings or chopped bbq chicken breast daily.

Introduced the kibble late last week.

Guest Doglady0419

Actually, I should be more concise - not watery stools, more that they are softer than they have been. And sticky, hence the scalded bottom.

Weaned from their dam on Monday, eight and a half weeks old today.

Been on mince "shakes" since three weeks old, and frozen chicken wings or chopped bbq chicken breast daily.

Introduced the kibble late last week.

Sounds like the kibble isn't agreeing with them.....I feed mine kibble much earlier than 8 weeks

Steamed chicken, no fat, & boiled rice only for 24 hours. Boil all their drinking water & then cool it. No improvement after 24 hours go to the vet.

If they seem lethargic, dehydrated, vomit, have tummy pain you need to take them to the vet now.

Don't give them anything to bind them like scourban or anything similar. It can work too well & constipate them which is just as bad.

Why not give them a little PROTEXIN paste twice a day on your finger? That's what I use during the weaning stage if they get soft poos.

I love protexin too, I buy it in liquid form and syringe it in their mouth 1-2mls. I think it is liquid gold, I think my vet sells it for a $30.00 for 200mls. They buy it in bulk and sell the amount you want in a glass bottle, you need to shake it well before use and if you keep it in the fridge it last longer.

Cheers Lee

Thankyou everyone for the feedback!

It has all cleared up, they did have their vaccs a day or three before (I think - old lady brain) so it must have been that?

They are all tres, tres healthy now, no worries about them at all - once again thankyou all for your feedback, it was so reassuring :)