Darebin Council Dog Doorknock To Target Restricted Breeds

cazxxz

Northcote Leader article

DAREBIN Council rangers will doorknock owners who have previously registered restricted-breed dogs, following a dog attack in Reservoir that killed a staffordshire terrier and injured its owner.

Darebin Mayor Diana Asmar said that any unregistered and restricted breeds would be immediately impounded.

“I think the community, whether that is other dogs or residents, must feel safe at all times,” Cr Asmar said.

“The responsibility is on the owner to ensure that they abide by the law, and register their dogs, and make sure their dogs are secured.”

The State Government’s restricted-breed amnesty ended on September 30, meaning restricted breed dogs - including American pit-bulls - can no longer be legally registered or kept in Victoria and will be destroyed if found.

Dog owners can appeal against breed classification at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal. “If there are other pit-bull dogs in our community and they are unregistered, I am asking all owners to surrender those dogs as per state legislation,” Cr Asmar said.

The crackdown followed the death of four-year-old Ayen Chol, killed by a neighbour’s pit bull-cross after it ran into the girl’s St Albans house in August.

Cr Asmar said if residents had any worries about American pit-bulls in their neighbourhood they should call the council on 8470 8888. Residents could also report a dog they believed to be a restricted breed.

They can phone the dangerous dog hotline on 1300 101 080 between 8am and 6pm.

This is my council. The headline got me worried, but it's not as witch-hunty as I anticipated. Surprisingly, there is only one pro-BSL comment.

It's OK, City of Greater Geelong are the ones who are going to start doorknocking anyone who has a dog registered as a 'staffy' or 'amstaff'. My friend has provided the council with pedigree papers for her amstaff, one less dog to visit for them.

Northcote Leader article

DAREBIN Council rangers will doorknock owners who have previously registered restricted-breed dogs, following a dog attack in Reservoir that killed a staffordshire terrier and injured its owner.

Darebin Mayor Diana Asmar said that any unregistered and restricted breeds would be immediately impounded.

“I think the community, whether that is other dogs or residents, must feel safe at all times,” Cr Asmar said.

How do they know that it was a restricted breed dog that was the culprit? How does impounding unregistered dogs make it a safer community? :confused: