Husky, I Have Never Forgotten

Chris the Rebel Wolf

When I was a child, I lived with my family on a boat. The nomadic lifestyle and small space shortage as well as keeping track of children while at sea convinced my parents not to bring a dog into our lives, which was fair enough. That though, did not decrease my love or longing for one. While it was not to be that I could grow up with a dog, one still held a special place in my heart.

Husky was a Golden Retriever I met while our boat was docked at our usual marina. His owner had a boat there too, and Husky came to visit every week or so. I soon made the acquaintance of both he, his owner and her other dog, Border collie Maggie. Though both owner and Maggie were nice, I was too shy to say more than hello, and it was Husky became special to me. "Husky's here!" my mum or dad would call, and I would race on deck and look down to see wagging tail and smiling Golden face.

We would roam the docks together, you were so fascinated by the fish everyone used to hand feed. I would hold an old piece of bread while you stared with complete captivation at the flicking fins and tiny splashes. You were never silly enough to jump in after them; nor did you never paw or nose at the surface to get at the fish. It was just the watching that fascinated you so. When all the stale bread was gone we ran up and down the docks, or played under the hose. Once your owner let me give you a proper bath with some doggy shampoo; it was the first dog I ever bathed; you sat patiently and smiled and wagged as you always did. I remember how excited I was when I would stop, and ask you to sit, and you always, always did, well trained gentleman you ever were. Nothing could be more incredible to a dog-crazy child than getting a dog to sit when you asked them to! How many, many hours we spent together on those docks. Not once did you ever loose patience. Not once were you anything but your friendly, well-mannered, sweetheart self.

The last time I ever saw you, I had grown up a little bit. Your visits weren't as frequent now and I was in my last year of primary school. It was raining, and mum was about to drop me off at school. I ran up the bridge connecting the dock to the land, and there you were, sitting under the shelter at the top. A skin condition had taken up over half of your once-lovely golden fur and left angry red patches behind. But still, you wagged and smiled, though you never moved, as if the effort of walking down the gentle slope you once raced up and down, had become too much. I had but a few brief moments to stroke your soft head, to kneel beside you and hug you, to understand that this was our goodbye. I knew it then, young as I was, that the look in your lovely brown eyes was that of a dog who had lived a long, full, and happy life. A life that was coming to an end. It has been almost a decade and a half since that goodbye. I know you have passed over the bridge now, but you have not been forgotten.

Last night I dreamed of my boy Jayne, who passed on earlier this year, running over the rainbow bridge at the heels of a faithful golden figure. I know you still visit me in spirit, now looking after my Jaynedog the way you once looked after me.

Husky, you were the one to teach a little dog-crazy kid what it was all about. You showed me what it was to love a dog and be loved unconditionally in return. Though you never belonged to me, a piece of my heart belongs with you forever.

Thankyou, Husky. I'll always love you.

post-40409-0-05547000-1320320496_thumb.jpg

post-40409-0-03294200-1320320508_thumb.jpg