Question About French Bulldog Pricing

I spoke to a customer recently who is looking for French Bulldog, and when I directed to Dogzonline (as I do for all my purebred seeking customers) he said he had looked into breeders, and been quoted prices at $3000. The price alone had turned this family off, though as usual I went into my 'Health/temperment testing, peace of mind' etc speech, I can personally understand a person of a moderate budget baulking at a price tag so high when the option to buy one from the paper for under a thousand is there.

Because I'm completely unfamiliar with this breed I wanted to ask here - is this around the going rate for registered and papered French Bulldog? Or could this have just been one price example and there is some variation? While I'm familiar with the differences between backyard and registered, and I've read several threads on the topic recently, it still affects me, as I see people from all walks of life looking into dog ownership on a day to day basis.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say $3000 is about average at the moment because people are willing to pay it. For some obscure reason they have suddenly become the dog of the moment and demand is high so the breeders are cashing in. They are however a very expensive breed to produce with all the health testing required so I wouldn't imagine too many breeders could break even at $1500 per puppy and that is with nothing added for all their time and effort raising the litter. With all the potential health problems in the breed they are not a breed where I would be looking for the cheapest dog. If they have to have a Frenchie, then they need to save up and buy a good one from a reputable breeder who is doing everything necessary to produce healthy puppies. Otherwise, there are still plenty of other lovely registered purebreeds available for $1000 or less from health tested parents.

It is pretty standard. They are not a cheap breed to keep or breed. High costs involved in producing pups and low litter numbers, coupled with high demand... You get what you pay for. You buy cheap you get cheap. You would more than likely find Frenchie breeders still not making money from the deal, trying to cover costs.

With them being a breed that can be expensive to keep, if the price is too much for these buyers then the upkeep may well be as well. They may need to factor that into their choice of breed.

considering health tests should be so comprehensive including spinal x-ray of the parents they should be more ... saying that for that price I'd rather invest in a good working dog ...

I may be wrong but I think they have to do spinal x-rays on the puppies as well before they are sold.

Personally I don't see why they are so popular all of a sudden, especially at those prices. Like BBs they were always a dog owned by select group of genuine fanciers that were prepared for all the potential health issues to keep the breed going, not the sort of dog everyone wanted as an easy care pet.

With them being a breed that can be expensive to keep, if the price is too much for these buyers then the upkeep may well be as well. They may need to factor that into their choice of breed.

Aha, now that is exactly the sort of excellent thinking that I really was looking for with this thread as well. Because I work in a pet shop and sometimes only have a minute or more of a customer's attention before they are gone, I try to be careful in what I say. If I carelessly said ;Oh you ought to pay $3000' - that doesn't offer anything. If I say something like what you've just said there Alyosha, phrased so simply but effectively, without being rude at all, just matter of fact... that is the point I want to get across. Thankyou for putting my much vaguely thoughts so well!

Thankyou everybody for your input. As I said I fully understand the registered/backyard benefits but this is more about getting a customer, in a short time, to consider the same thing. Like you Gecko I've seen advertised byb for 800ish from time to time, and with such a huge jump it is easy to see why Joe Blogs would buy the third of a cost one without thinking ahead. Some people do look more at the immediate picture not the big picture, or the dollars they have in their pocket, not what they might spend in the future.

The way I see it... Fair enough if you don't have the money for a more expensive breed right away, but if your heart is set on a particular breed, start saving... that's what I'm doing for my next dog :)

I think its a lot to do with expensive health testing, often needing C-sections and small litters on top of that. I think for that breed its a perfectly suitable price. I've seen adults advertised much cheaper.

I enquired about one once, and spoke to a breeder on the phone. Her price (at the time) was about $500 more than the going rate and she did no health testing I asked why not and she said she felt it was a waste of money and she didn't see any need. She was an ANKC registered breeder of long-standing.

They are that price because that is what people are willing to pay. They aren't particularly rare and have gotten much more popular in the past couple of years. Where the puppy ads on DOL used to be around 3-5 at a time, now there are over 20. They don't always have small litters......litters of 6 or more isn't uncommon, just check the ads regularly and you'll see that.

I doubt that a lot of the breeders currently advertising puppies do lots of expensive health testing, in fact I'd bet pounds to peanuts that some of them wouldn't even know what tests were meant to be carried out on the breed.

I keep an eye on the ads too and have noticed there are very few which mention any type of health testing or health 'guarantees' and most don't have the price mentioned. A lot of litters seem to be around the 5 puppy mark and at $3000 a puppy thats potentially $15000+ for one litter!

For $3000 a puppy you would expect health testing and wise decisions being made from scores before the litter was produced surely? If you spent that type of money and it wasnt done you might be spending a lot more in the future!

I don't know how expensive C sections are (which I believe most have) or health testing - is it horribly expensive?

When testing is done, it's only parent's who've been health tested isn't it? The pups would just have the normal vet check at vaccination time? Does this mean if you buy a puppy as a pet (which most are sold as) you should you also have it health tested at a certain age or do you just hope for the best?

Edited by Roova

They have always been a fairly expensive breed, compared to others but basically, if you want one, you'll pay for it, that's how it goes.

They are worth every cent of the $3000 and more. Once you've had one, you'll see why they are so special, unique and worth evry penny.

yep

They have always been a fairly expensive breed, compared to others but basically, if you want one, you'll pay for it, that's how it goes.

They are worth every cent of the $3000 and more. Once you've had one, you'll see why they are so special, unique and worth evry penny.

I agree with this so much.

As with all breeds - there are good breeders and bad breeders, it is up to the individual to do their research before they part with their hard earned cash. I get so sick of trying to justify the cost to people. Sid's breeder is worth her weight in gold, she is awesome.

Im lucky enough to have a Frenchie in my life and I would say she is the most beautifully natured, placid, easy to get along with dog I've ever had. She makes my partner and I laugh every day with her funny little antics and is totally lovable!

I was also lucky to fall in the lap of a great breeder and feel happy my pooch will have a long healthy life because of her. It would be devestating to lose a dog to a genetic illness, especially if it was preventable and they should still have had many years ahead of them.

Chris. maybe you could direct the people asking to the new French Bulldog Club of QLD website? They've listed breeders on the website who are endorsed by the club for breeding with the highest of ethics and integrity.

The very first meeting is being held at Durack at 3pm this Saturday 5th near ring 5, maybe they are in a position to come along? http://www.qldfrenchbulldogclub.com/

I agree with this so much.

Yep, if you really want one, you'll come up with the money...

There is really not that much point in trying to justify the cost. You are going to get a lifelong companion who will hopefully bring you much happiness. It is different if you're looking at a working dog obviously.

They have to decide how much they are willing/able to pay for a dog. Although buying from an ethical purebred breeder may give you some health assurance, it is no guarantee of a healthy dog, and I don't really think price reflects health at all.

Can anyone really say that a $3000 purebred will give them more pleasure/enjoyment than a $50 rescue, or the dog they rescued from the side of the road etc...

I am not saying one is better than the other, of course it all depends on the owner and the individual dog, but I don't think you can put a price on the happiness a dog can bring.

Health testing in this breed costs just over a thousand dollars per dog - this is for spine and hip scoring (spine scoring currently unavailable as only Prof. Wyburn was doing it - but a Vet. experienced with Frenchie backs can give an opinion), HC DNA, patella scoring (Putnam method with OFA certificate) and a Doppler echo for heart. Litters should be x-rayed at 8 - 10 weeks to give early indication of where any hemis are. As they are a dwarf breed (Molossian), not a toy breed, hemis should be expected, but if in parts of the thoracic area should cause no problems. Hemis in the lumber area, or fused vertebra, can be another matter. There are gradings of spines from 1 - 3; 1 being partially wedged, 2 being fully wedged and 3 being hemi or butterfly.

Empiric evidence from spines worldwide seems to indicate that the positioning of hemis may be hereditary.

Breathing can be an issue - they require wide, open nostrils. As with all braccys, long soft palate can be a problem. Parents with this in any severity should be excluded from breeding programs. Because of their smushy faces, heat stroke can occur, even in a dog with no nostril or palate problem - they are not an outside dog. My lot freely run the paddocks, but are brought inside when the weather is hot or muggy.

The price of puppies is outrageous, and anyone who buys a pup without seeing testing results of parents have rocks in their head. Breeders should be testing for the welfare of the breed, and their future puppy owners. Puppy buyers should be insisting on it.

Personally I think a thousand dollars is a cheap price for 10 years of joy with these little guys.