Pup Whining

dotdashdot

I have a 6m old Dallie, and she's perfect in every way...except she whines a bit. At first it was like, ok she's a pup we'll ignore it and she'll grow out of it.

And she did - in certain circumstances (she whines when I'm home on my days off, and I'm inside, or when me and OH are inside getting ready for work in the morning, Also when dinner is coming, although this situation is improving - it's like a pattern)

She isn't deprived of attention - I spend a good deal of time with her, and there is someone home 90% of the time (living with in laws) even when I and my fiance are at work. I am clearly her alpha though, if given a choice she follows me, and she responds best to me and I've done the most discipline. She respects me (she never tries to sneak into the house with me, she gets in several times a day with the FIL).

She has plenty of food.

She has a doggy playmate

She's very well behaved in all other respects

I've tried ignoring it, its been going on for 2 or so months now. Any tips? It's not irritation but I would like to fix the problem so she can relax knowing that we are there.

I'll be watching this thread with interest - our puppy whines for everything, even if we're there with him he'll whine as he's lying down to rest or sleep :o , otherwise it escalates into a high pitched sqealing piglet noise (which gets ignored until he's quiet again) :( .

We're hoping he grows out of it because Asti gives him a look like "what is your problem now? there's nothing wrong!!!" :laugh:

if father in law is sneaking her in she wants to be in there with you. Why don't you let her into the house a little more and teach her some house manners. Dog just wants to be involved and near you from the sounds of it.

I have the same thing with Stella. She has always been a "talker" though. She whines lots, especially when we are out & about & meeting new people she whines with excitment I think. Lots of folks have asked me what is wrong with

her cause she is sooo vocal. :laugh: She doesn't do it much at home though as she is able to inside of course. ;)

Edited by BC Crazy

I certainly DO want her indoors ALL the time that we are home, and I look forward to teaching her house manners, but we are currently living in the in laws house and if we let our dog in, their dog would want in too and I'm not in love with that dog.

I'm also wondering what is more alluring in the house - me or the treats in our room + the trash can. When she sneaks in and I see it, she attempts to go to them before me! Whatever it is, in a few months we will be moving into the converted shed in the backyard which will be a mini house and she will be inside with us then (staying outside if we are not home during the day).

THanks for the help, I know it may sound like an odd situation that we have going on but it's all we can work with at the moment. When its my house, I will be able to have my rules (finally!)

AND...This morning, after typing this post last night, she didn't whine!

When you're inside and she's outside, is there a closed door between you or is it open? My puppy Kirah will whine at the laundry door if it's open and she can see me moving around inside, however, if it's closed, she goes and finds better things to do -- like terrorise big brother!! :rolleyes: