Unfair:

sandgrubber

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horses are not a companion pet. You have to know what your doing to own one it's not an animal that you can just go buy easy, you need time and training I have horses and there are 2 horses I have at the moment that I will not let anyone near as they have come from the doggers and need work they kick an bite and have some issues which are all brought on by people after one session I got halters on them and leading ( I use natural horsemanship ) and no horses don't get away with kicking and biting if it has a problem like that it is sold to someone with more experience or re trained I have only ever seen 2 horses put down or being violent and that was in an animal curelty case which was sad. What people don't understand is horses are very sensitive and they are also very forgiving I hate it when people think thy should put horses down because of problems they never stop and see that thy are the cause of the problem and a horse is really just a reflection of yourself. Never had a horse I could not solve issues with only the 2 that had to be put down but that was a very tricky sad situation.

Horses are not a companion pet. You have to know what your doing to own one it's not an animal that you can just go buy easy, you need time and training I have horses and there are 2 horses I have at the moment that I will not let anyone near as they have come from the doggers and need work they kick an bite and have some issues which are all brought on by people after one session I got halters on them and leading ( I use natural horsemanship ) and no horses don't get away with kicking and biting if it has a problem like that it is sold to someone with more experience or re trained I have only ever seen 2 horses put down or being violent and that was in an animal curelty case which was sad. What people don't understand is horses are very sensitive and they are also very forgiving I hate it when people think thy should put horses down because of problems they never stop and see that thy are the cause of the problem and a horse is really just a reflection of yourself. Never had a horse I could not solve issues with only the 2 that had to be put down but that was a very tricky sad situation.

some people could class a horse as pet though coldnt they??

Most of the horse related deaths could be called manslaughter though rather than murder.

Are you saying that dogs are capable of murder?

I'd say even the worst HA dog acts without intent. . . .

Well even manslaughter is the wrong word as often it is just the person either falling off or being in the wrong place. I don't see how you can blame the horse if it gets a fright and spins around and accidentally kicks a person in the head.

How often would you say a dog accidentally bite someone? I got my hand in the way of a dog fight once, so yep that was an accident as neither dog was aiming for me. Got chomped by 2 different dogs last year, both intended to bite me.

In over 20 years of riding I've only had one horse that deliberately chucked me off.

As a very young kid, my dad had a cat that made it her mission to attack me. I was constantly covered in bites and scratches; and was terrified of being left alone with her. She would wait for me behind the door to my bedroom and attack me when I went in. She would also sit underneath any chair I was sitting on and swipe at me so I couldn't get off the chair. I really think it wasn't the nicest of mum and dad to have me put up with that.

But Dad was very attached to her because she would lie with him when he was suffering from gout.

but they never would have tolerated something like that from a dog :confused:

Edited by raineth

I think that much is made of injuries/deaths by dog because dogs are so much a part of human life .. entrenched in our homes and routines. From a caryard dog to a nursing home dog.. they are all around humans a lot ..and are on every street.

A lot of injuries happen unexpectedly .. by people walking down their street, or in a park, or elsewhere .. and this is what scares everyone. These people did not seek out the dog who caused them injury - a lot of times they were unaware of any dog at all .

Injuries caused by horse are usually incurred by people in the company of that horse - using/abusing it, or caring for it - so it is their choice to be in contact with that animal at that time.

My guess is that it's rare indeed for a person walking along to be injured by an unknown horse - it could happen , in a paddock or somewhere, if there is a stallion, or a mare & foal ..once again, a rare thing.

Most of the horse related deaths could be called manslaughter though rather than murder. A horse hits a jump, kid falls off and breaks neck is totally different to dog escapes, barges into house and mauls little girl.

The cases of horses actually mauling people are quite rare. Often it is just an accident or human in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't ride anymore because of the potential danger btw. Last time I fell off I was living by myself and it took me quite a while to get off the ground (broken tailbone). As I am totally responsible for my mortgage too I stopped riding.

This is so true. You only had to watch the melbourne cup yesterday to see how dangerous it can be. Cross country jumping/three day eventing is another tricky one. In cross counrty jumping the jumps dont "break" as they do in showjumping.

I dont know how I am still in one peice :laugh: Have only had one nasty fall, not the horses fault or mine.

Once I forgot to tighten up the girth after 10 mins or so of riding and slid right off my horse with the saddle lol.

Horses certainly kept me out of trouble though as a kid, didnt have time for anything else!

The cat owners in my neighborhood are not at all responsible. There are cats roaming everywhere and a number of them are super aggressive. My pup has been attacked by cats so often he is now fear aggressive in relation to cats. My neighbor complains that he chases his cat, but I have explained the situation and he still takes no action to keep his cat out of our yard.

A young girl I know has only just today left hospital after a fall from a horse.

She has

Broken ribs

Broken collar bone,

Smashed shoulder that has had to be put back together

Broken pelvis.

Now she is an apprentice jockey doing track work when it happened, so racehorses can sometimes be rather more amped than your average hack etc. She is very lucky she made it but the horse wasn't trying to half kill her it was an accident.

Racehorses can indeed be a different beast .Glad the girl is able to leave hospital - and hope she will have a good recovery.

When we used to ride around Melbourne .. one of the horses was an ex racer.. he would often get really worked up, and start sweating etc ..but mostly was OK as a hack. One good thing was he could be told to chase dogs who flew out barking/snapping ..and the poor dogs would usually go screaming back inside ... ;) He'd put his head down-ears back and charge them !

Racehorses can indeed be a different beast .Glad the girl is able to leave hospital - and hope she will have a good recovery.

When we used to ride around Melbourne .. one of the horses was an ex racer.. he would often get really worked up, and start sweating etc ..but mostly was OK as a hack. One good thing was he could be told to chase dogs who flew out barking/snapping ..and the poor dogs would usually go screaming back inside ... ;) He'd put his head down-ears back and charge them !

I don't think racehorses are major contributors . . . here's from a NZ study (1999-2003) . . . based on a study of 5613 recorded hospitalizations from horse incidents . ..

Analysis of NZHIS data for 1993–1999 found that 16 people died following horse- related injuries. For the period 1993–2001, 5613 people were hospitalised for horse- related injuries. Females accounted for 69% (n = 3893) of injuries and 56% (n = 9) of deaths. Those most at risk of horse-related injuries were young females between the ages of 10 and 19 years, who accounted for 35% of these injuries. Nearly half of the total injuries sustained (46%) were to those under 19 years of age. Those aged between 10 and 29 years received 55% of horse-related injuries. In those aged 50 years and above (9% of all patients), males were more at risk than females although the injury numbers for this age group were low (2.5% of all injuries).

Northey, Glenda NZMJ 26 September 2003, Vol 116 No 1182 URL: http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/116-1182/601/

This suggests it's the pony club group who are most in danger. Riding lessons and horses for hire contribute more to the statistics than racing. Falls are the biggest source of injury. No, the horse is not to blame, and much of the injury could be avoided if people wore helmets and observed basic safety practices.

I'd say training a horse to chase dogs is about as amusing as rewarding a dog for hitting the fence when young hoons walk by.

I'd say training a horse to chase dogs is about as amusing as..

It was a very useful thing- back 30 odd years ago - when there were lots of dogs free to roam the streets, and many used to just lie in wait in their front yards ready to ambush horses/dogs/people!!

I would much rather a dog get a fright and run back home than our horses get spooked and cause a bigger problem!

I don't think racehorses are major contributors . .

Nowhere did I imply racehorses caused more injuries to humans .

I just commented that racehorses can be a very different temperament to a pleasure riding horse ...and again, individual temperament means that some horses react differently to others.

I'd say training a horse to chase dogs is about as amusing as..

It was a very useful thing- back 30 odd years ago - when there were lots of dogs free to roam the streets, and many used to just lie in wait in their front yards ready to ambush horses/dogs/people!!

I would much rather a dog get a fright and run back home than our horses get spooked and cause a bigger problem!

I don't think racehorses are major contributors . .

Nowhere did I imply racehorses caused more injuries to humans .

I just commented that racehorses can be a very different temperament to a pleasure riding horse ...and again, individual temperament means that some horses react differently to others.

I agree Phers :)

A horse with its head and neck down, ears back is letting a dog or any other animal know they are not going to tolerate the behaviour. Horses do this with other horses as well, there is an order and it needes to be respected.

I would rather a horse who does this to a dog or another animal or even each other than one who just kicks/lashes out.

We have two expensive Arabs who are now retired. Most people around here have very expensive horses, way more than ours.

Dogs chasing horses is not tolerated around here at home or while riding past houses to reach the national parks for training or a pleasure ride. If the horses warn off the dogs without harming them, the owners are very lucky.

yes, Nic. riding around suburbia as we did .. a bolting/bucking horse on a street is not a good plan. Thems were the days :) riding along land cleared for freeways .... along the Yarra ..out in suburbia on a warm evening ... I've never been that keen on riding, but occasionally it was a nice thing to do ... and my slug of a horse needed the walk :)

Edited by persephone

yes, Nic. riding around suburbia as we did .. a bolting/bucking horse on a street is not a good plan. Thems were the days :) riding along land cleared for freeways .... along the Yarra ..out in suburbia on a warm evening ... I've never been that keen on riding, but occasionally it was a nice thing to do ... and my slug of a horse needed the walk :)

Lol, and then there are the neighbours who did not want you to ride on the council strip in a rural area :laugh:

My horses have and always will be forward moving, so once we are into it together there is no stopping us.

Quote;

'This suggests it's the pony club group who are most in danger. Riding lessons and horses for hire contribute more to the statistics than racing. Falls are the biggest source of injury. No, the horse is not to blame, and much of the injury could be avoided if people wore helmets and observed basic safety practices.'

Pony club is a diverse group of people, horses and riders.

Pony club is where I originally competed localy in hacking (easy) show jumpiming, 3 day eventing, sporting and cross counntry jumping. Dressage is also very popular as with other events.

Later I moved on to endurance (also a dangerous sport) most big endurance events begin at midnight in pitch black and go for days on end.

I did not wear a helmet as a kid and rode around bareback a lot of the time. My worst accident happened without a helmet. I never wore one as a kid as I did not have not have one to wear (aside from my show helmet).

My kids will always where helmets and at 5 and 7 they love riding our horses with no saddles or reins. That is how I learnt to ride :) Better supervision though for sure :)

As I have said, you have to know what you are doing when you hop onto a horse, or take responsibility for another person. It is a life in your hands literally if you take it seriously.

Horses are never to blame though, just the handlers most often.

Edited by Nic.B

Christopher Reeve was a fantastic rider wearing a helmet, sadly going over a jump he was paralysed.

They never blamed the horse though.

The horse is not to blame. But neither is the dog!

Would you like to explain your reasoning as I don't really get what you are trying to say?