The End Of Leash-free Bushwalks At Gannons

Katdogs

Hurstville Council has released its draft masterplan for Gannons Park. It's planned that the leash-free area will be restricted to a small flat field, with no more bushwalking tracks for dogs. If you look at the plans attached and don't know the park, the leash-free area currently starts at the top of the 'soccer training field' and goes all the way to the Mangroves (and into the swamp, if you have a Lab).

There is currently space for lots of dogs to play ball at the same time without conflict, for dogs to form into groups for zoomies according to size and/or craziness, and a wonderful chance for dogs to sniff in proper bush and jump into the 'creek' if they want to be cheeky.

What gets me is the Mayor's message that kids need less iPod and Apps, and more "bushwalks and backyard cricket". That's already available at Gannons and has been for years - where's he been?!

There's a petition going around objecting to the masterplan, and also opportunity to add your comments here:

http://www.hurstville.nsw.gov.au/SPContent.aspx?PageID=98&count=1&ItemID=197

Probably not why the council did it but aren't there snakes around there & in the water ?

Yep but the snakes seem to take off faster when dogs are around!

Actually I've only ever seen one in five years of going there, though they get talked about a lot.

The area they have planned as 'leash free' is just so small, we wouldn't find it worthwhile going to the park any more.

That is such a shame - I grew up on a house that backed onto the walking track towards the mangroves. We moved away about 10 yrs ago, but we'll have to get down there this weekend and check it out before it becomes restricted for dogs (unless it's already restricted?)

It's not restricted yet as far as I know, it's just a draft masterplan so if there are enough Anti comments there might be some changes made :thumbsup:

ETA only restrictions are Saturday afternoons - no random hounds allowed to join the obedience classes!

Edited by Katdogs

We were there yesterday and did a lovely bush walk. I will be devestated if it shrinks to the proposed size. Will add my comments as well.

I love going there on hot days as it's so much cooler doing the bush tracks.

Oh that sucks. I love that park!!! And its big enough for many dogs to have space and not interact.

Im moving away from the area in a months time but would be sad for the people that continue to use the park. Ive been an instructor at the ob club there for several years, you get an occassional loose lead dog interupting the class but overal its a great park!