A Few Issues With A New Foster

We have been playing ball in the backyard of a day and with a rope toy of a night - he is actually really good at playing with these toys on his own, he throws the ball and bounces it and wrestles with the rope toy - but only when I am around.

If he remains disinterested in working for food you can use a game of fetch or tug as a training reward too :)

I realise he is a working breed and needs lots of exercise and he will get it as soon as his vaccs kick in. But for now, we have to be content with what we have.

Ahhh yep, didn't think about vaccs

I think I might get a kong and freeze some treats into it for when I go out. This might keep him busy enough to not miss me so much but again, if he carries on, then I am just rewarding that behaviour aren't I??

:thumbsup: I give mine a frozen kong about 5 minutes before I go out, so they are all settled in chewing/licking and barely even notice when i leave :) (bad for my ego, but good for them :laugh:). That would circumvent the 'reward for being crazy' problem. If he hasn't had kongs much before then I would use a combination of frozen/not frozen or some peanut butter smeared around the top so he doesn't just give up like my girl did the first time I gave her a frozen kong :)

Licking and sucking also releases calming hormones in dogs' brains, so is perfect for separation anxiety.

re. the kong. :thumbsup: They are great at keeping them occupied. :)

Edited by k9angel

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there's high level anxiety going on & he's been thro' the disruptions that go along with being dumped. With his breed's high physical activity level....that's how he's expressing it. Along with the trying to take some charge by 'humping' people & 'demanding' the comfort of company by being noise when alone. And there's no sign of any 'training' from his original home, which would've brought some imposed order on his behaviour.

Tho' I don't normally believe in meds, I'd wonder if something could just hose down his anxiety level a bit for a short while.....without making him too woozy to gain from his new training. A temporary short course of something like valium? A vet has used that with a highly anxious dog I had, from disrupting circumstances.

Oddly enough, I'd do a lot of work with him on a short lead (which is more controllable), giving him as many short walks as possible, where he'd held right beside your leg. It seems to help sort the message of who's in charge. With stops for a treat when he must sit. For dogs that are reluctant to 'sit'....I hold the treat low & back over their head. So the dog has to 'sit' to see the treat.

I agree with others who've suggested some busy work for him via his mouth. Great big bone or kong to chew.

I'd also restrict his access to the house to one room only, at the moment. And put down plastic tarps on the floor. I'd take him out to the toilet, as you do with toilet training.....& always close the door behind as he moves around the yard. He needs to learn there's an 'inside the house' & there's an 'outside the house'. Nasty as it seems I'd transfer a bit of the poop out onto a spot on the garden.....so that's the smell he's led to. Dogs go to the toilet on top of the smell. Which is why, once they've done it in the house.....they tend to go back to that area.

Best of luck, as someone else said, re-training requires patient persistence.

We have just had a breakthrough... We can sit on command. And we can come when called (maybe he is recognising his name now - how long does this usually take??)

We have just spent a few minutes with him and he sat on his own, so when he was sitting I put my hand on his lower back and said, 'sit' good boy and gave him a pat.

He stood up, so I said 'sit' again and he sat...

Just making sure, we did it again and gave him a food reward - now everytime he looks at me, he sits...

I knew he was clever - I am confident now we have a breakthrough, it will get easier and he will become more confident.

Mita I actually thought that meds may be an option if he still gets upset by say Wednesday this week. Only because I am going away.

I will ask the vet about it tomorrow.

I agree too that he does not appear to have had a lot of human love in the past as he is just adoring us - he is on our heels no matter where. When I am on the computer he is on the spare bed behind me.

I will go and get a wire crate tomorrow - I know it is the best thing for him.

Thank you for all the suggestions - keep them coming, it all helps and we all get to know him better the more we talk about him.

I will take some photo's tomorrow and post them up.

:thumbsup: Excellent!!

Now ...

did you invite him onto the bed?

If he jumps on the furniture without your express permission... he gets taken off (not called off) ...

he needs to realise it's not his house/furniture /bed.. it is yours, and it is a privilege to get up there . privileges are earned ;) N I L I F

:thumbsup: Excellent!!

Now ...

did you invite him onto the bed?

If he jumps on the furniture without your express permission... he gets taken off (not called off) ...

he needs to realise it's not his house/furniture /bed.. it is yours, and it is a privilege to get up there . privileges are earned ;) N I L I F

No but I will work on that one too pers, thanks.

I really need to get a book on NILIF - it looks really interesting from what I have googled so far

We have just had a breakthrough... We can sit on command. And we can come when called (maybe he is recognising his name now - how long does this usually take??)

We have just spent a few minutes with him and he sat on his own, so when he was sitting I put my hand on his lower back and said, 'sit' good boy and gave him a pat.

He stood up, so I said 'sit' again and he sat...

Just making sure, we did it again and gave him a food reward - now everytime he looks at me, he sits...

I knew he was clever - I am confident now we have a breakthrough, it will get easier and he will become more confident.

I agree too that he does not appear to have had a lot of human love in the past as he is just adoring us - he is on our heels no matter where. When I am on the computer he is on the spare bed behind me.

That is absolutely fantastic!

I reckon it shows his anxiety.....is more excitement-generated anxiety. Which needs to be channeled into trained behaviours.....& getting reward for it. Both food and praise.

So I'd agree with you about not rushing into meds, but seeing how his progress continues. Learning behaviours like 'Sit', bonding with you thro' walks & getting an organised routine going....should help.

You're right.....he's a clever boy who can learn that his 'person' runs the show. And he'll be so much happier for it.

ADDED: I'm also a 'no beds', 'no furniture' owner, especially for clever active dogs who'd take over the world themselves!

But, who, have all the goods to respond to training.

Edited by mita

I am new to rescue and so i take in as much advice as possible when I have a new dog, my current one Sage is very strong but i digress.....

The best piece of advice I have received is to hand feed her for at least two weeks, any food she receives is to come directly from us not just from a bowl we put on the ground and so far it has helped me to engage with her and its helped out training no end :thumbsup:

Its also a good bonding time to hand feed her, and teaches her that i/we are the source of all good for her including pats etc, I was also advised not to give her too many unsolicited pats ie; wait for her to sit or give a calm behavior before we reward with a pat. My foster is a few years older than Gus so he might pick it up a bit quicker

Good luck, sounds like you have already had a breakthrough :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Yay Staffyluv!

Your boy sounds a lot like Weez when he came to us at 9 months old - scared of most people, didn't know any commands, pooed and peed in the house, destructive chewing, would run the other direction if you called him and prone to lying on his back with his ears flat if he was cornered. I suspect he might have been hit or at least yelled at too.

We've had him for 10 months and he has come soooo far, has got his HIT and PT certificates in sheep herding, has great focus, reliable off-lead, only chews his own toys and has much more confidence (still a bit skittish with new people, but actually lets some of our friends pat him now :thumbsup:). So it is definitely possible!

Kelpies are great little dogs with a bit of effort and I am sure your boy will settle once he learns how you house is run and gains some confidence in your routine :) :)

Yay I'm soo happy to hear the progress with the sit. That's great. I was also wondering that maybe he didn't respond so well as you have given him a new name and it takes time for them to learn it. Sasha didn't have a name, and when she was fostered they gave her one but it was too long for me to yell out in a park LOL. Plus with her personality I thought it just didn't suit her as much LOL.

Regarding the jumping up, if he jumps up on you turn your back on him straight away. We do this in dog school. We had a puppy who entered the offlead area today and he jumped up so I immediately turned my back on him ( the owner was happy). I've had to do this with another dog at school who is currently being fostered who is a kelpie and she is a wonderful dog but would also jump up so same thing, turn your back.

I hope you also occupy him with a kong toy. Frozen is good too, and smearing a bit of peanut butter on it is great. Works for my girl although she does manage to get it out too quickly if I dont' stuff it well enough. That said she's usually pretty knacked after all the activities I do with her in the morning but Kong toys and a big marrow bone do keep them occupied. Maybe try giving him a big marrow bone when you are there but placing it in the backyard so leave him out with it and you go inside the house and see how he goes.

Not sure if this would work as he would probably know you are there but if he is crying when you are in the shower you could try doing this first inside the house while you shower and then progress to outside.

Persistance is the key though. Some days I get frusterated when training Sasha as sometimes its like she's forgotten everything I've taught her but I just keep persisting and then when she gets it, its just so rewarding. Its kind of like, "I did that" I taught her that.

NILIF is great! You need to re-think everything you do with the dog to make sure they earn the attention. Eg, my dogs used to come over and push at my hand for a pat so I would turn away and ignore them. After they wandered off I would call them back, tell them to sit and then make a big fuss of them. Now they come over and sit and if I ignore them because I am busy or eating they walk away. However if it suits me I pat them.

With jumping up, you turn around and lift your hands up. Eventually they either wander off or sit. If they sit I whip around and make a big fuss.

I have found that with the smart dogs they get this after 3-4 "goes".

StaffyLuv you need to start off strong with everything and be consistent!

NILIF is great! You need to re-think everything you do with the dog to make sure they earn the attention. Eg, my dogs used to come over and push at my hand for a pat so I would turn away and ignore them. After they wandered off I would call them back, tell them to sit and then make a big fuss of them. Now they come over and sit and if I ignore them because I am busy or eating they walk away. However if it suits me I pat them.

With jumping up, you turn around and lift your hands up. Eventually they either wander off or sit. If they sit I whip around and make a big fuss.

I have found that with the smart dogs they get this after 3-4 "goes".

StaffyLuv you need to start off strong with everything and be consistent!

Thanks.

We have been turning away from him and ignoring the pushy behaviour.

Today after he woke up and after each drink, I encouraged him to go into the yard and I stayed with him - he toileted each time.

I really don't think he is going to be hard to teach..

I also think he was picking up on my stress of him not understanding me - hence the no sit or anything until I relaxed and then it just happened again and again.

My rescue boy (in the avatar) was a bit like that. As others suggested it's probably his anxiety - he's been through a lot and is still not sure what's happening to him.

Calm, quiet voice and rewards for "good" behaviour worked very well. Once he became my fab FF, it took me 3 months to fully integrate him into the pack.

Oh, don't worry about the sit command. Some dogs really despise it (KI does). There are so many other things you can teach him.

We have the new pup here and he is the over exuberant staffy that I knew he was going to be..

Gussy has done very well, only snapped and growled twice in a couple of hours.

I have Gussy in my office with me at the moment to give him a break from the pup but we can't keep them separated totally all the time.

My son is really worried that one of them is going to get hurt but I keep telling him that Gus is just correcting the pup - not fighting with him.

The pup is really timid, which is a bit of a contradiction but if you raise your voice, he wets himself.

They will both be going to training and I am going to ask about puppy pre school at the vets to boost the pups confidence.

He is worse than Gus was on a lead but I am sure he will come around.

So does anyone have any suggestions on mixing these two with the minimum of fuss? I have never had 2 dogs together before, apart from when we were really young and we got them together.

(I think I am going to be spending a long time in the training thread)

Edited by Staffyluv