A Warning To Anyone Who Feeds Bones

huski

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OHs old rottweiler did that trick with a tin can ... he went bin raiding and firmly wedged an old dog food can on his bottom jaw, then waddled home with a mournful look like 'dad, fix it'. Big vet visit later :p

Love the "bin raiding"!! When I was a kid in the early 80s our family Weimaraner bin-raided half the suburb on 'bin nights' :o She would come home stinking of spaghetti bolognese. Unfortunately she also had a strong prey drive and would also bring home the odd chook or duck :mad

yeah OHs mum never believed in containing animals properly :rolleyes: I learned with bones since my Dogue can almost swallow large chicken maryland whole, and has tried half a rabbit. Either crunchers or massive hunks they just drag around like pig heads. In the wild there are no sliced up bones why would I feed them to my dog.

The ferrets are worst at getting bones stuck, they only get meat on the bone or that the raw diet has extremely finely minced carcass. I used to buy a coarser mince frame meat and a couple got the bones caught between the top teeth on the roof of the mouth, then rip themselves stupidly to get it out. Havnt had a problem since we changed to a finer grade mince.

Edited by Nekhbet

I used to give Justice big marrow bones which he'd gnaw on then bury and dig up a few times until a couple of months ago when he ended up being treated for colitis, which the vet thinks might have been caused by a festy bone. She told me to stick to bones he will consume in one sitting and not bury so I've been giving him lamb necks as he eats the whole lot and there's nothing for him to bury. What are people's opinions on feeding lamb necks and are they safe enough to leave him with when I go out, being that it's a softer bone?

I just heard of a top show dog who nearly died on the weekend due to a rotten marrow bone (incidently he won BIS the day after falling ill - did I say "top"?). Looks like I won't be feeding marrow bones anymore to my guys :( As for lamb's necks, I tried them on my dog for a fair while - so juicy and fleshy, however she could still splinter the vertebrae and would throw bits up later in vom sessions. They could be relatively safe to leave with your boy when you go out, but I personally won't leave my dogs unattended with bones anymore :(

I feed whole lamb necks no problems, dont get them chopped up. Dogs are meant to vomit up what they cannot digest, that is perfectly normal.

Sorry I meant tether the bone not the dog :laugh: you tie the bone somewhere shady on only a couple fo feet of something like thick nylon line or thin chain.

I feed whole lamb necks no problems, dont get them chopped up. Dogs are meant to vomit up what they cannot digest, that is perfectly normal.

Sorry I meant tether the bone not the dog :laugh: you tie the bone somewhere shady on only a couple fo feet of something like thick nylon line or thin chain.

so I've been told during one of my enlightening conversations with a 4th year vet student, when dogs bring up their food, unless there is bile in there, it's not really classed as vomit, it's just regurgitated food, which is why it's perfectly normal for them to eat it again :vomit:

Huski - glad that EB is ok... poor girl it must have been very stressful!

Edited by SparkyTansy

We don't like the regurgitation sessions in the house (carpet), especially in the early hours of the morning, and when it (bone fragments) stinks as bad as it does :mad

Poor daisy, that is so scary. I've never fed osso busco bones because they always look to big and hard to me (if that makes sense, lol) and now definitely never will!

Snook we used to give lamb neck bones to our old dog who was about the same size as justice a lambs neck practically everytime we left the house :) she never had a problem. I know alot of people wont give bones to their dogs unsupervised at all but I think it really depends on the dog and how careful you want to be.. for instance I wouldn't leaving our IG with a bone alone because he's got a history of choking and is just a finnicky little thing over all. But a dog like Justice I think would be fine :)

Edited by Skitch

We don't like the regurgitation sessions in the house (carpet), especially in the early hours of the morning, and when it (bone fragments) stinks as bad as it does :mad

The bed is worse than the carpet, especially if you haven't made it yet!

I used to feed exclusively BARF foods, but have moved to a place where sourcing good raw meat is hard/expensive, and quality dry food is abundant and cheap (the 18 to 20 kg bag of extra premium food in the US costs under $50). I've never had a problem with bones . . . but it sure is easier to keep a Labbie slim on dry biscuits, veggies, and the occasional egg or yoghurt than it is on chicken carcass, selected mamalian bones, and misc. veg and dairy +++. Also a relief not to have the fridge full of dog food.