Can What A Dog Eats Help Repel Ticks

sheena

I think she means Advantix is meant to repell them, it contains permethrin in order to do that and imidacloprid to kill them.

Advantix is meant to repel them...but in the case of my dogs, it doesn't repel them but hopefully kills them after they have attached & bitten. Some products probably work differently on different dogs, that is why there are so many products out there. It is quite obvious to me, that the food my dogs have been on long term now is either repelling the ticks or helping the Advantix do it's job. Either way I am one happy person & have two very happy dogs. :)

but Advantix & Proban do not repel the ticks. The ticks still have to get on the dog & bite, then, hopefully die & fall off.

That is incorrect.

Advantix does repel ticks, you are mistaking the way it works with Frontline (where the tick has to attach in order to die).

I would say it is your tick prevention product which is working to fight ticks rather than the dogs diet. ;)

Rebanne, I am glad the supermarket food is working well for your dogs, but I also have never had a problem with fleas. But I am not talking about fleas.

I didn't reply to you though I quoted English Ivy who did mention fleas

• 2 weeks later...

A family member had a very old whippet up in the Pilbara. Whenever he noticed ticks on her, he just added garlic to her meal and within a day or two all the ticks were gone. He fed her osso bucco microwaved to within an inch of it's life and a supermarket brand of kibble but never used any form of flea or tick prevention chemical or medication.