Lump On Lip

tiff-689

Woke up this morning to find this lump on Buckleys lip...

_MG_0048.jpg

_MG_0045.jpg

I'm wondering if it caused by some sort of insect bite or a knock to the lip..It doesn't look like it's gone down in size since this morning. It feels very hard on top, and doesn't seem to be coming from his gums. It's not bothering him or causing any pain and he is drinking and eating as per normal. How long should i be waiting before i call the vet? I've taken a dog in for face swelling before and the vet told me to wait and see if it went down so i don't want to go to the vet if i don't need to.

A friend told me i should give him a claratyne tablet, but i'm a little wary of that.

Edited by tiff-689

He can have a human grade antihistamine tablet no problem at all.

My Ollie had mast cell cancer that released histamine and he had a polaramine tablet every day of his life.

However I am a big believer in ALL lumps should be checked by a vet.

The vet will usually do a fine needle aspirate to remove some cells from the lump and check them under the microscope.

Good luck

Guest english.ivy

My mums Pointer had a lump like that the other day and it went down after a couple of days. The day before it appeared, she [the dog] had been playing rough with another dog in the park, so we think she'd just got a fat lip.

The swelling went down in a couple of days.

Buckley is 10 months old, so well past the teething stage i would think.

He is a very rough player and very adventurous so that's why i'm not too worried at this stage. He was home alone most of tuesday so who knows what he got up to. The lump is still there 24 hours later, so i'll give it another day or so before i head to the vet.

Well...the lump, if anything had increased in size so i thought better to be safe then sorry and head to the vet. She gave it a good squeeze but nothing. It's definitely an infection of some sort so she has put him on cephalexin antibiotics. If it doesn't go down in the next few days we need to do a biopsy. Fingers crossed!

Well...the lump, if anything had increased in size so i thought better to be safe then sorry and head to the vet. She gave it a good squeeze but nothing. It's definitely an infection of some sort so she has put him on cephalexin antibiotics. If it doesn't go down in the next few days we need to do a biopsy. Fingers crossed!

Just curious, what are they (vet) waiting for.

It has been there a few days and has actually enlarged..

If it was my dog - I would have insisted on a fine needle aspirate for a preliminary diagnosis. That should tell you if you even need a biopsy (why put a dog through if if not necessary??)

I hope he it goes down and he feels better soon.

Just curious, what are they (vet) waiting for.

It has been there a few days and has actually enlarged..

If it was my dog - I would have insisted on a fine needle aspirate for a preliminary diagnosis. That should tell you if you even need a biopsy (why put a dog through if if not necessary??)

I hope he it goes down and he feels better soon.

I'm not too sure. The vet just seemed to think it was an infection of some sort. It has gone down in size since but it's still there so I'll mention the fine needle asp. When I take him back for a check up,