Schipperkes, Oh My!

Blackdogs

I too have just acquired a Schipp pup! As a current Belgian Shepherd owner I would have to agree they're just like a mini-Belgian, and he sure gives my Groenendael a run for her $. Only 12 weeks old, and already guarding, won't leave my side, although is very brave for a little guy. I take him for walks to the park and beach with my Belgian - he is VERY responsive and he doesn't "run off" at all. I've read that analogy in a US book on the breed, that may be where the breeder go that one from.

If anyone wants to know the breeder I got mine from they have three male pups currently for sale, not yet weaned. Absolutely fantastic breeder to deal with, and well-bred, healthy pups.

Some dogs carry the 'natural bob-tail' gene. The dogs that carry the full tail gene are more prevalent now because breeders these days don't necessarily select for the bob-tail gene as much as they did in the past!

And as they say, a big dog in a small body!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are gorgeous little dogs and after meeting a few recently have added them too my small breed dog want list, which consists on just Papillons :p

Awhile ago, there was a few puppies at a show (breeder is a member here) and they were just stunning, it was extremely tempting as they would slot in nicely I reckon! :p

I met one once - a gorgeous little fella happy as anything - unfortunately it was through my Pets at Peace job, he was about to be PTS as he had been declared a dangerous dog and his owners could not afford the fines nor the cost of building the pen to keep him in. He had dug a hole under the fence and killed the neighbours rabbit.

I met one once - a gorgeous little fella happy as anything - unfortunately it was through my Pets at Peace job, he was about to be PTS as he had been declared a dangerous dog and his owners could not afford the fines nor the cost of building the pen to keep him in. He had dug a hole under the fence and killed the neighbours rabbit.

Thats sad doing what he was supposed to. :cry:

Wow, dangerous dog hey? Doesn't make sense... :mad

Welcome to the fraternity Blackdogs.

I have met your pups breeder a couple of years ago. I too have these Black devils.

Kosmology,I think I know of your pups breeder too, your pups may be related to mine somewhere along the line.

I would Schipps are a wash & wear breed as I only bath mine perhaps three times a year and NO DOGGY ODOUR. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Please join in the sub breed thread for Schipps.

DandyBrush, check out the Schipp profiles on the breed pages here and you will see quite a variety of them.

BB

I'm not surprised. I have to say as obedient as our girl was to commands somehow we forgot to teach her not to kill our chickens! :(

She did it once when she was young and then at about 11 years old became a "repeat offender" killing regularly despite several strategies which failed miserably.

She ended up spending her twilight years at my mothers.

I have single very very short coated dogs, so anything I actually need to brush or that has undercoat is not wash and wear for me :laugh: But I can see how it would be wash and wear compared to a Lhasa Apso!

Schipps are fantastic little dogs, my OH had GSD's and Dobes before we got together and will only have schipps now :thumbsup:

They are very wash and wear and do not drop coat all the time like many of the short coat breeds and they can be obedience trained easily. Our old boy got his CD many years ago and was doing well in CDX until his sight started to diminish and he was retired then. Our little brain damaged girl got two passes in novice as well before becoming unable to continue. We used to have roosters wandering around and the schipps never touched them, can't say the same for the eagles or foxes though :laugh: Schipps are VERY smart dogs and learn quickly. We start teaching our puppies to come the minute they can get around so all are good at coming when called. We do a lot of initial training between the ages of four and eight weeks but the pups don't realise they are getting training :D

They are a very special breed, got to love them.

Schipps are fantastic little dogs, my OH had GSD's and Dobes before we got together and will only have schipps now :thumbsup:

They are very wash and wear and do not drop coat all the time like many of the short coat breeds and they can be obedience trained easily. Our old boy got his CD many years ago and was doing well in CDX until his sight started to diminish and he was retired then. Our little brain damaged girl got two passes in novice as well before becoming unable to continue. We used to have roosters wandering around and the schipps never touched them, can't say the same for the eagles or foxes though :laugh: Schipps are VERY smart dogs and learn quickly. We start teaching our puppies to come the minute they can get around so all are good at coming when called. We do a lot of initial training between the ages of four and eight weeks but the pups don't realise they are getting training :D

But when they do drop their coat it is with avengence! :eek:

That's 'cos they are smart enough not to go near a Rooster!!

We start teaching our puppies to come the minute they can get around so all are good at coming when called. We do a lot of initial training between the ages of four and eight weeks but the pups don't realise they are getting training :D

That's why he's so good when called!!! And why he's sooo happy about it... ;)

I too am fortunate enough to own one of these fantastic little dogs. Taz is the easiest dog to train to do anything

with, has never been a problem or really got into any trouble.

Hes not very friendly to other dogs or people but very loyal to the immediate family, but strangly enough he likes cats. The hair is something you just get used to

as it wafts across the floor and i find it in the strangest places.

I dont think i would be without a schipp, such happy little chaps with a big personality.

We start teaching our puppies to come the minute they can get around so all are good at coming when called. We do a lot of initial training between the ages of four and eight weeks but the pups don't realise they are getting training :D

That's why he's so good when called!!! And why he's sooo happy about it... ;)

He always was the first to come when called and thought it was the best game ever :laugh: He loved to get first cuddles :rofl:

But when they do drop their coat it is with avengence! :eek:

That's 'cos they are smart enough not to go near a Rooster!!

But while the coat drop may be huge it doesn't last that long :laugh:

Our roosters were pretty tame but Schipps sure are smart dogs :thumbsup:

I too am fortunate enough to own one of these fantastic little dogs. Taz is the easiest dog to train to do anything

with, has never been a problem or really got into any trouble.

Hes not very friendly to other dogs or people but very loyal to the immediate family, but strangly enough he likes cats. The hair is something you just get used to

as it wafts across the floor and i find it in the strangest places.

I dont think i would be without a schipp, such happy little chaps with a big personality.

You do get used to the hair although on Saturday I was a bit over it being in my mouth, up my nose and everywhere else as we groomed out our boy having his first coat blow which of course had to be at specialty show time :mad He was nicely bald for the show :laugh:

Couldn't imagine life without one of these funny dogs, they certainly make you laugh.