What Do You Think?

bossyboo

Hi all

I have been looking at a couple of different breeds to get and need some advice. :) What are peoples opinions on Sheetland Sheepdogs, Whippets, Cocker Spaniels. Size suits me, I know they are completely different.. I am happy to do grooming, well take to a professional and brush coats a couple of times a week. Have children that are good with dogs and good back yard. We play in the back yard everyday and probably walk 3 times a week. I did speak to the lady who use to groom my old aussie and she said Shetland's were alot of hard work in the grooming department and probably were better off in a cooler climate. Although I have read they are not high maintenance in the grooming? Have been recommended whippets, cockers by friends of mine. Thanks heaps..

Whippets will forgive you, if you can't get out for a walk, they are more than happy to chill. They will of course play with the kids and are very good with caring children. My 5 year old has a Whippet as her best mate, the Whippet is more than happy to follow her around, play fetch or chill on the lounge with her.

Whippets are also very easy to house train, being clean comes naturally to them.

Whippets in general are very devoted to their family, they are not always social butterflies with strangers and visitors to the home, but once welcome, they are made to feel really welcome.

They are the ultimate house dog, crave companionship and really must live in the house. Depending on where you live, they will need coats for the cooler days and nights.

I love Shelties but I;m not a fan of Cockers, so I'll leave the other breeds.

I wouldn't think 3 walks a week would be enough for a Shetland or a Cocker. You could probably get away with it with a Whippet as Pav Lova said.

I would go for the Whippet from what you have said as you would probably need to commit to more brushing with a sheltie and I think a cocker would go mad without more exercise.

Whippets are gorgeous too :)

Cockers are great pets, they do have high energy tho so they need a good walk and play in the back yard. But apparat from that they will be happy to follow you all day and sleep on your lap or on your feet while your trying to cook, they are so addictive too!!! If your fine with the grooming then that will not be a problem. But they have to be apart of the family they can sleep outside at night but during the day they would have be doing what your doing if not they will be sad they love people and want to be with them. They are smart little cookies so they will need training for mental stimulation. I like shelties too and I was thinking of getting one as a friend for my cocker boy but I think I will stick with cockers they have won my heart