Nsw Greyhound Green Collar Assessment

skyesblue

Great news that something is finally coming through about the greenhound system in NSW. Will be interesting to see what the rest of the procedure/costs etc are. I certainly wouldn't put Katie in kennels for a week to pass the test. If I have to continue to take her out in public with a muzzle it is not big deal as she doesn't give a toss and neither do I though it would be nice for the breed if they didn't have to be muzzled in public. She was very scared of hands when we got her so we will continue working her through this issue, really don't want her training put back by an assessor acting aggressively towards her just to see the reaction took us too long to gain her trust to risk it not worried about the prey drive part of the test as she lives with a very annoying tiny dog and cats and loves them and ignores other dogs/animals when we are out and about.

Great news that something is finally coming through about the greenhound system in NSW. Will be interesting to see what the rest of the procedure/costs etc are. I certainly wouldn't put Katie in kennels for a week to pass the test. If I have to continue to take her out in public with a muzzle it is not big deal as she doesn't give a toss and neither do I though it would be nice for the breed if they didn't have to be muzzled in public. She was very scared of hands when we got her so we will continue working her through this issue, really don't want her training put back by an assessor acting aggressively towards her just to see the reaction took us too long to gain her trust to risk it not worried about the prey drive part of the test as she lives with a very annoying tiny dog and cats and loves them and ignores other dogs/animals when we are out and about.

Yes agree with you Mags it has taken me a long time to get Maddie to realise the world is not such a scary thing.She is very timid and will run away and wet herself at raised voices.She has issues when walking on lead but with the help of a DOLer we are working through this slowly and she is showing improvement every day.

It is correct that for a green collar assessment here at GAP Vic, the dogs do need to come and stay at our kennels for a week.

We used to undertake one off assessments but found it did not give us an accurate understanding of the dog. Often they would be stressed at being in a strange place, and being handled by a strange person, and would test OK with our small dog as they were shut down.

A greyhound wearing a GAP collar looks like, for all intents and purposes, a dog that was adopted from GAP. It is essential that we get the assessment right. This is why the dogs now come and stay in our kennels for a week so that we can firstly give them time to settle down and relax in a strange environment, and secondly assess them several times over this period.

In all honesty, the dogs generally cope far better than their owners with this arrangement :-). Greyhounds are used to being in a kennel environment and are quite comfortable here as they are surrounded by other greyhounds.

Of the privately adopted dogs brought in for collar assessment I'd estimate that 98% pass.

I'd be happy to answer further questions on what happens here at GAP Vic - email us at [email protected].

It's also correct that we are now adopting dogs with Pannus thanks to the recent changes in the COP.