Photo Requests For Presentation

corvus

Would anyone like to donate use of their photos to my upcoming presentation? I'm looking for photos of bold, confident-looking dogs and dogs that are looking shy or cautious. In particular, I'm after a Rottweiler and a Maltese. Wikimedia Commons is all right, but would prefer most of the dog in the shot so we can see how big they are. I'd put a photo credit on the slide next to your photo.

These are of a dog I didn't know, owners no where in sight and it looked pretty scary to me, I kept myself and my dogs well away from it. Not great photos and not sure if it's what you want.

IMG_8053t.jpg

IMG_8054t.jpg

IMG_8055t.jpg

IMG_8056t.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

These are all old shots but if any of them are useful you are welcome to them. Sadly our old man is over the bridge now, if youre after something more specific ask in the rottie subforum? Lots of snap happy Rotten peoples in there :)

DSC05382.jpg

DSCF4784.jpg

DSCF4033.jpg

These are of a dog I didn't know, owners no where in sight and it looked pretty scary to me, I kept myself and my dogs well away from it. Not great photos and not sure if it's what you want.

IMG_8055t.jpg

Ooh, I like this one. Who do I credit it to?

He/she is doing a good job hiding their teeth. :) I always feel a bit safer if they're doing that.

IMG_8055t.jpg

Ooh, I like this one. Who do I credit it to?

He/she is doing a good job hiding their teeth. :) I always feel a bit safer if they're doing that.

I'll PM you my name.

If you are talking about the photo I've posted, the owner was nowhere about, they had no control over what happened to their dog, who took photos of it, who approached it, anything. I have no problem with not getting their permission to take its photo and do what ever I choose to with it.

I should add, that photo was taken in a public park. It was tied up to a barbeque shelter.

Edited by Kirislin

Academics are held to a higher standard than people just taking snaps in the park. You may give permission for your photo to be used but the owner of the dog hasn't. Whether the owner was present or not or whether you think it is ok to use the photo is irrelevant in the academic context. Trust me, you don't want a complaint about your conduct going to your uni.

You do not need a release from the dog owner to use the photo legally. Academic realm or not does not change the law.

Your university *may* have rules about photo usage that you need to follow that may be relevant but I doubt it as long as you have the photographer's permission.

Oh, and a photographer does not need your permission to take a photo of your dog in a public place and use in it legal ways.

Edited by kja

I wouldn't be happy for a picture of my dog to be used without my permission that shows it in an aggressive stance, would you? I think ethics committees go overboard a lot these days but in the case of using an image of someone's pet that depicts it in a negative light they have a right to act. If the owner put that picture up on the web themselves as an example of an aggressive posture then sure, use it and credit the site. But the owner has no clue.

At the end of the day it's not about what you can do legally, but what you should do ethically.

I wouldn't be happy for a picture of my dog to be used without my permission that shows it in an aggressive stance, would you? I think ethics committees go overboard a lot these days but in the case of using an image of someone's pet that depicts it in a negative light they have a right to act. If the owner put that picture up on the web themselves as an example of an aggressive posture then sure, use it and credit the site. But the owner has no clue.

At the end of the day it's not about what you can do legally, but what you should do ethically.

I would hope you would have the good sense not to tie it up in a public place and go wandering off to leave it alone.

I would hope you would have the good sense not to tie it up in a public place and go wandering off to leave it alone.

Of course not, but what if I'm at a place with my dog on lead and someone takes his/her pic and I don't know it? Do you think that because the owner wasn't there they deserve to have their dog's picture used without their permission? Payback?

It's very simple, just ask for people to only supply pictures of their own dogs and no one needs to worry about ethical issues. I can't believe this hasn't been drummed into students, one of mine would get a serious arse kicking from me if they used a private picture without permission from the subject/owner.