Crates

wantsapuppy

I don't think they are essential, but as was said, they make life easier! Crate trained dogs are more welcome in hotels (and other people's houses generally), a happily crated dog is safer to travel with, a crate trained dog won't get distressed about being crated if they have been hurt and need to keep still, it makes toilet training easier and they do better at the vets.

Crate training has easily saved me from a nervous breakdown :laugh:

I agree entirely re: the benefits in terms of finding emergency accommodation. For some reason the idea of looking after a Great Dane doesn't seem so intimidating to many when you tell people they're quite happy in their crate for bedtimes, meals, etc.

Collapsible all the way be it crate or lidded pen style. They are easy to store away.

If you are going to buy one, get the size your pup would require as an adult, that way you pay once and have it for a long time.

THanks That was the plan to just have to by it once so that i didnt have to fork out for another one when it got bigger.

HAHAHA dont even have a puppy yet and im asking a million and 1 questions You will all be sick of me by the time we get one :rofl:

i found this would this be good more just as a playpen type thing for puppies ( eg when kids are eating )

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_2373wt_1141

Soft pens and Lab puppies...? Errrrrr :laugh: You need something like this:

http://shop.vebopet.com.au/store/6-panel-tube-pet-dog-exercise-pen-extra-tall.html

or

http://shop.vebopet.com.au/store/120x120x120-pet-dog-exercise-pen-run-kennel-enclosure.html

I bought one similar to the first type for my Ridgeback and found that while it is very solid he could jump up over the sides. So got the second (lidded) type for my Malinois pup.

They are generally used for when you can't supervise but want to give the pup a bit more space than a crate.

The pens I have linked are the biggest and sturdiest (IMO). There are more types and sizes available from that seller if you click on the 'dog pen and dog run link' at the top of the page.

I don't think it's essential. Personally I'm not a fan of crate training, my dogs were toilet trained by taking them out every hour, they learnt very quickly.

They travel really well in the car and are fine going to places like the vets or other peoples' houses. I just didn't see a need for it.

Everyone's situation is different though and if you think it will be of benefit then go for it. :)

I have one of those pen. If you are getting a lab, they aren't strong enough for a lab though. Plus, they can chew on it.

I wasn't a fan of crate training at first, but now I love them :laugh: Charlie sort of crate trained himself... he always loved the crate. Then, later one, he helped me crate trained Emmy.

If it's just for separation purposes just have child's gate separating them in another room. Boonie slept in this room with the gate up at night so got used to it being his alone area - we found this worked a treat and we could put him in 'his' room if we had visitors over.

Much better option than shutting the doors on them as they don't get the 'shut in' feeling and can still see what's going on.

I think it also helped that he got used to 'barriers' and then never really tested something if he saw it as a visual barrier - hence no mischeif.

If it's just for separation purposes just have child's gate separating them in another room. Boonie slept in this room with the gate up at night so got used to it being his alone area - we found this worked a treat and we could put him in 'his' room if we had visitors over.

Much better option than shutting the doors on them as they don't get the 'shut in' feeling and can still see what's going on.

I think it also helped that he got used to 'barriers' and then never really tested something if he saw it as a visual barrier - hence no mischeif.

the house we are in the gaps between the rooms are door size as its all open so unfortunatly i dont think that the child gate idea would work. :(

Crates, baby gates, pens are all useful. I use them all! Baby gates are handy for separation but less useful for toilet training (though you could use them across a laundry door I guess to confine in there etc). Crates are probably more multi purpose as you can move them aroud more places including in the car or somewhere else if you are travelling. Wire collapsible. Is better than soft as more airflow and puppies are less likely to break out so reached good habits ( you can always get a soft crate later once the pup is used to being in a crate). They are heavier than a pen but take up less space. Pens are great as give more room and are lighter to carry. But even though they are flatter they take more space across their length and width to transport and take up double or more the space in your home so not as good for a longer term option inside. You also can't use them to secure a dog in the car and as they have no bottom some dogs can tip them over (I secure with pegs on grass for some dogs so they learn that they can't move it. As said each have their positives and negatives ans I use all three for different things. Personally I would recommend a wire collapsible crate as the most versatile for someone starting out with a pet pup who wants to only invest in one thing.

the house we are in the gaps between the rooms are door size as its all open so unfortunatly i dont think that the child gate idea would work. :(

sorry I'm reading that wrong - they are door size? that's perfect for a childs gate isn't it?